Is the G-70 a good choice for New Age music?

Posted by: Telmo

Is the G-70 a good choice for New Age music? - 07/26/06 03:06 PM

Hello friends, I actually own the Psr-3000, but I intend to upgrade with the Roland G-70. I've never played the G-70, only know the specifications from the net. I intend very much to get a G-70 and I wonder if I could use it to play those beautifull melodies found on Yanni, Enya, Kitaro, you know the New age genre. Does the Sequence mode on the G-70 offer full editing? Although I like most Psr-3000 styles, will I find similarities on the G-70 as well? All comments will be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Telmo.

------------------
Posted by: Carrie-uk

Re: Is the G-70 a good choice for New Age music? - 07/26/06 11:31 PM

Hi Telmo,

I don't know about the G70, but have always heard the Korg Triton is one of the best keyboards for New Age stuff. I used to own the rack version and can confirm the sounds are top notch for this genre. Of course, it's not an arranger but the many 'combos' are automated and can be played along with much like an arranger.
Posted by: KFingers

Re: Is the G-70 a good choice for New Age music? - 07/27/06 01:07 AM

I totally agree with Carrie - Get a Korg for the type of sounds you want. I think that generally speaking that Roland and Yamaha heve the edge when it comes to realism of real instruments but for what you are looking for I would get a korg rack and keep the 3000.

However, usuall advice applies, Don't buy until you try.........

Regards - KF
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Is the G-70 a good choice for New Age music? - 07/27/06 01:29 AM

Hi Telmo,
are you after New Age Styles or New Age Sounds??
I don't know if any of the arranger keyboards have much in the way of new age styles.
I recently upgraded my Band in a Box software, it had some new age styles, but unfortunately you can't play them in realtime like you can on an arranger keyboard, you can only create midifiles or BIAB songs.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Telmo:
[B]
Posted by: Craig_UK

Re: Is the G-70 a good choice for New Age music? - 07/27/06 05:56 AM

Maybe worth keeping yout PSR3000 and getting a synth module midied up to it if it's only the new age sounds you require. The Triton as Carrie mentions is great for new age synth sounds and pads. Keep your options open m8.
The G70 along with the T2, SD1, Korg PA range, Genesys etc all offer the usual run of the mill styles and sounds but don't have many new age styles for the genre you mention. If you intend using sequences for this type of music then I'd say stick to a synth rather than arranger.
Posted by: Diki

Re: Is the G-70 a good choice for New Age music? - 07/27/06 07:33 AM

Don't forget, there is plenty of software out there that will convert from SMFs into styles. If BIAB has some good New Age styles, it shouldn't be too hard to convert them into styles.....
Posted by: squeak_D

Re: Is the G-70 a good choice for New Age music? - 07/27/06 10:03 AM

Telmo,
I don't know if this has been suggested to you, but I'll throw it in the mix. I have friends that like to compose new age music, and I play with it every so often as well.

Here's a trick they do on their arrangers (as I've done on my synths). Take the DRUM part of s style in the Club, Techno, Dance, Drums&Bass, and other electronic genres and "slow down the tempos". Doing this can bring about some pretty cool results. Then you can go even further by adding your own bass lines, free flowing ambient pads, and even EQ'ing and adding effects to the drums themselves--you just may end up tripping yourself out EQ'ing and adding effects to the drums

It's a possible solution for you. Then you could just keep your PSR-3000, and seek out other electronic styles. I've slowed the tempo down on these types of beats on my synths, and did some tweeking, and got some amazing results.

Anywho, just another possible avenue for you to consider--This way you "save money" because you can still edit the voices on your PSR, and create some nice custom patches (or tones) to use with this style of music. Personally I think you can get some good "new age" style music from the PSR-3000.

Squeak
Posted by: Bluezplayer

Re: Is the G-70 a good choice for New Age music? - 07/27/06 07:21 PM

Telmo,

My experiences tell me that no arranger would be my first choice for this type of music. Knowing a little about each manufacturers sounds, I tend to agree with Carrie. I have a Motif ES, and it isn't quite top notch either for lite synthy sounds, but I've always thought the Triton series was among the best hardware boards for this type of music.

If your just looking mainly for sounds, and don't mind software, there are literally dozens of free and very inexpensive soft synths out there that combined would give you more in the area of new age sounds than any single hardware solution will.

AJ
Posted by: Telmo

Re: Is the G-70 a good choice for New Age music? - 07/28/06 04:39 AM

Thank everyone, I'll try all the suggestions, but I really intend to have a gear which enables me to play New age music and offers a lot tools for this genre. Cheers, Telmo.

------------------
Posted by: squeak_D

Re: Is the G-70 a good choice for New Age music? - 07/28/06 05:23 AM

what's your budget? If you have limited funds here's my suggestions:

-Roland Juno-G
-Roland Fantom Xa
-Yamaha MO-6/MO-8
-Korg TR

These are all budget synths--that would actually do very well for new age music. The most expensive one on this list is the MO-8, which is like $1,500. The Juno-G, and Korg TR can be had for just under a grand ($999). The Roland Fantom Xa is like $1,300. All would work well for what you want, and are easy on your pocket.

If you're looking for arrangers to do this work, as other's mentioned Korg is probably the way to go. Again if funds are tight, consider the Korg PA-50 for $999. The PA's have Triton based sound engines.

Regards,
Squeak
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Is the G-70 a good choice for New Age music? - 07/30/06 08:24 PM

Hi Telmo,
have you ever tried any of Simon Williams style disks for psr?
Might be worth checking out before swapping keyboards. He has some newage stuff. http://www.svpworld.com/svpstyles.htm
best wishes
Rikki
p.s.
you could always use software realtime arranger like OMB or Livestyler to play the styles, and buy a synth like the Triton or whatever for the sounds ( or use a softsynth)
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Telmo:
[B]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 07-30-2006).]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 07-30-2006).]