Cell phone interfere with my PA-80??

Posted by: rhumba

Cell phone interfere with my PA-80?? - 11/23/02 06:09 PM

Strangest thing!!! It happened to me last night - while I was playing!!

I have an AT&T cell phone. When my phone rings, I heard a rapid "cracking" noise from the internal speaker! It was after a couple time that I notice it was caused by the cell phone! I had this tested and sure it was my cell phone! Very annoying!!!

Anyone else have this problem???

..rb
Posted by: trtjazz

Re: Cell phone interfere with my PA-80?? - 11/23/02 07:19 PM

I did hear of others getting radio transmission on their PA's as well.
Terry
Posted by: rhumba

Re: Cell phone interfere with my PA-80?? - 11/23/02 08:39 PM

...or maybe Korg is secretly experiment with wireless arranger of the future without letting us know?

Whatever it is, it was bad when you get strange noice popped up right in the middle of the performance.

I'm hoping someone from Korg is reading this also.

..rb
Posted by: S0C9

Re: Cell phone interfere with my PA-80?? - 11/23/02 08:45 PM

Shoot !!!
if you think the interference from your cell phone is bad on the PA80,try putting it on top of, or near to, your guitar tube amp head. You wont miss ANY calls - I assure you of that !! LOL

I don't know what exactly happens - but I've seen this a number of times - the amp freaks out - like the cell signal is being routed thru the higher frequency portions of the pre-amp section. The result is that the amp just goes ballistic. Wierd....

Steve
Posted by: trtjazz

Re: Cell phone interfere with my PA-80?? - 11/24/02 03:03 AM

Perhaps the programmers got confused when the designers told them....."and we'll need to be able to call up styles."
Terry
Posted by: squeak_D

Re: Cell phone interfere with my PA-80?? - 11/24/02 05:59 AM

This isn't just a Korg issue.. Years ago when I had my PSR-540, my wife's cell phone did the same thing. It was really funny too because her cell phone messed with everything in our apartment.. We always new that the phone was about to ring because we'd get crackling noises from my keyboard, television, and computer speakers just before the phone rang...

Squeak
Posted by: Bluezplayer

Re: Cell phone interfere with my PA-80?? - 11/24/02 07:19 AM

RF ( radio frequencies ) knows knows no bounds as far as brand or type of device. As a licensed radio amateur I've been on both ends of the problem. Any electronic device with speakers can be affected, ( examples of devices without speakers that can be affected are car alarms and garage door openers ) and the more electronics and circuits, the more susceptible the device seems to be. Problems often occur with both the equipment that transmits ( cell phones, CB radios, etc ) and the receivers or "passive " equipment ( your keyboard and / or sound system ,CD players, TV,s etc ). This happens because of faulty design or lack of RF protection circuitry in the receivers end and lack of proper filtering in the transmitting device.

There are ways to help fix this that work with varying degrees of success. There are simple rf chokes that are available that may help. If your own transmitting device is to blame, you can often apply ferrite toroids or beads to the ac lines of both the offending equipment and your keyboard ( or to the wires of your external speakers ) . In one case I did this with a neighbor's stereo system and it solved the problem ( they no longer heard me "broadcasting" into their stereo which of course immediately upgraded my popularity with them ).

AJ
Posted by: MarcK

Re: Cell phone interfere with my PA-80?? - 11/24/02 12:00 PM

I have impressed my friends many times (okay, so the novelty does wear off eventually) by "predicting" their cell phone calls while playing my PSR-2000 through headphones. I'll get the "signal" a few seconds before the phone actually rings. I have only noticed this interference with headphones.
Posted by: svpworld

Re: Cell phone interfere with my PA-80?? - 11/24/02 02:49 PM

Tyros is really sensitive on radio interference, infact I have one of those touch shaded lamps in my lounge (the type you touch the base several times to switch on the lamp to preset brightness levels and then again to off. Everytime I turn my tyros on, the lamp comes on too as if by magic!! Weird!!! I wonder if RFI testing was performed on this keyboard!

Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

Re: Cell phone interfere with my PA-80?? - 11/25/02 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
There are ways to help fix this that work with varying degrees of success. There are simple rf chokes that are available that may help. If your own transmitting device is to blame, you can often apply ferrite toroids or beads to the ac lines of both the offending equipment and your keyboard ( or to the wires of your external speakers ) .
AJ

Ferrite Choke Core huh? Well, they have it out at RadioShack.com for only $4.99 apiece. I gotta to give it a try!

..rb
Posted by: Bluezplayer

Re: Cell phone interfere with my PA-80?? - 11/25/02 06:22 AM

RFI is surely a hit and miss proposition Rhumba but at $4.95 it's well worth a try.

AJ