Midi file playback systems?

Posted by: frankieve

Midi file playback systems? - 12/03/02 07:58 AM

Does anybody use a computer to playback midi files at a gig? I have a SD1 and use it for midi file playback, but was looking for something seperate for volume andother issuses.

I was thinking of alaptop and a Roland SD-20 for playback.

Any suggestions
Posted by: Micco

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/03/02 09:28 AM

A laptop would be a good idea. I had a laptop before and it was very handy on music making and recording. I had to buy a desktop computer because I need a lot of processing power, big hard disk and huge screen for video editing.

Micco
Posted by: The Pro

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/03/02 11:38 AM

At times I use a laptop with backing midi files to accompany myself when I play an acoustic piano. An external sound module is a good idea but can be a hassle dealing with the power/midi/audio cords. If you have a late model laptop with plenty of horsepower then you could consider using a software synthesizer such as the Roland Virtual Sound Canvas (VSC) or the Yamaha SYXG-50, and just hookup your computer to a speaker system. Both Roland and Yamaha have downloadable trial versions of these programs.
Posted by: frankieve

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/03/02 12:14 PM

What do you think about a MC-80?
Posted by: DanO1

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/03/02 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
What do you think about a MC-80?

How about recording your midi sequences into your VS2480 and making audio CD's ?
Jam along with the recording or get a smaller HDR for gigs . Less expensive than the MC80 .

I am going to use my hard disk recorder on my next gig . I need it for original's exclusively .

dano
Posted by: Wazza

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/03/02 01:13 PM

Hi

I think the laptop is a good idea,
You can add a sound module like the SD-20 or SD-80, you can also use a Soundblaster Extigy and load soundfonts, todays soundfonts sound pretty good, even the free ones.
I don't recommend the Virtual Soundcanvas or the SYXG-50, they sound real bad IMO.
I also have a trial version of the new Hyper Canvas, but it doesn't sound good either.
If you wanna use big soundfonts you need a lot of RAM, at least 256 MB, and maybe even 512 MB.
Here are some links:
Soundblaster Extigy info: www.soundblaster.com

Soundfonts: www.hammersound.net www.thesoundsite.net www.samplebanks.com www.sonicimplants.com

Greetz ,
Marcel

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/03/02 01:35 PM

To follow up on what Dan said, you could also consider using MP3 files on stage. I know several people who do this currently. Portable CD players that are MP3 compatible are under $100 and pretty common now, and you could possibly get enough MP3 files on one CDR to do an entire gig. Also MP3 players with a hard drive would work such as the Creative Labs Nomad (http://www.nomadworld.com). I use one for practicing.

I disagree that the softsynths sound bad - I currently use Yamaha's latest version 4.0 of SYXG-50 on my Windows 2000 laptop and it sounds pretty good - maybe not as good as my normal keyboard rig, but good enough. Helps if you know how to tweak midi files to get the most out of it, of course.
Posted by: GlennT

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/03/02 03:54 PM

Dan, I like the idea of using a HDR rather than laptop on a gig... possibly more reliable? If I remember, you're using the new Zoom, right? Can it be programmed to stop at the end of each song? I there a juke-box or song chain feature that allows you to group together a song list?

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
I am going to use my hard disk recorder on my next gig dano
[/B]
Posted by: DanO1

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/03/02 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:
Dan, I like the idea of using a HDR rather than laptop on a gig... possibly more reliable? If I remember, you're using the new Zoom, right? Can it be programmed to stop at the end of each song? I there a juke-box or song chain feature that allows you to group together a song list?

I haven't checked into a jukebox mode on the zoom . It does take maybe 15 seconds to load a song ( maybe less ) . I recorded all the songs myself , so there is no mystery as to when they end .

I think Uncle Dave is the master of using MP3's and audio files . Maybe he can pipe in on this subject . Dan
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/03/02 05:39 PM

Marcel, something is wrong .The Hyper Canvas is absolutely great.. I bet the demo version is not playing the new wave table..Check the midi device, it is probally using your old sound source.. If you guys want to get knocked off your feet, go to www.edirol.com and download the Hyper Canvas "Jazz" MP3...and let me no what you think...Fran
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/03/02 05:40 PM

I'm certainly no master, but I do rely on MP3 files to fill in the holes left by my custom audio arrangements I made to mini disk. The main reason was to add contrary vocal harmonies and make it possible to do some more guitar work, without sacrificing the rhythm section.
I use a modest PIII 600Mhz pc running win98se on the stock sound card with Roland Virtual Sound Canvas wavetable software.

This allows me to run midi files and audio files from the same output on the pc and it only takes up one (stereo)channel in the mixer.

From the explorer window (or ANY folder, for that matter) you can see about 80 song titles in front of you for immediate selection with the enter key. You can use the arrow buttons to navigate and never touch the mouse.

I still have the MD's in the car as a backup, and the HD on the PA80 is a second backup, but the pc is my "go to" machine for all things that two hands cannot do.
Posted by: mdolmon

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/03/02 07:44 PM

I have been using laptops for five years as the brain to my rig. I currently use a laptop running Sonar 2.0 to run sequences as well as control of a digital mixer and even lights. We even use it to control the guitar players Pod preamp....I also incorporate audio in the sequences for backing tracks as well. additionaly I've been considering using mp3 as a backing track but I still need some real time control over the midi gear from time to time.
Posted by: GlennT

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/03/02 07:56 PM

Hey Mike, you're in Cleveland? I'm in Medina! We're neighbors!

Have you found Sonar to be stable and reliable enough? Any crashes in those 5 years?

I'm looking forward to checking out your web page. You giging anywhere? Email me.

Glenn
Posted by: mdolmon

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/03/02 08:19 PM

Nope, Sonar and the previous cakewalk applications have proven to be very stable for me. I've used Cubase, Logic, Nuendo and Protools but because of the way Cakewalk handles midi I feel it's best for me....
Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:
Hey Mike, you're in Cleveland? I'm in Medina! We're neighbors!

Have you found Sonar to be stable and reliable enough? Any crashes in those 5 years?

I'm looking forward to checking out your web page. You giging anywhere? Email me.

Glenn
Posted by: Luis.Santos

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/04/02 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mdolmon:
Nope, Sonar and the previous cakewalk applications have proven to be very stable for me. I've used Cubase, Logic, Nuendo and Protools but because of the way Cakewalk handles midi I feel it's best for me....

Nuende And Protools are digital audio programs, and are very limited in Midi functions. Of course they wouldn't fit your needs because they only have really "basic" midi functions.

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/04/02 07:46 AM

UD's "backup in the car" has me thinking. I currently use live-midi-only in my performances and my backup to my arranger keyboard's HD is my laptop computer, which can either act as a midi player for my keyboards or use it's soft synth to play the midis itself. But I don't normally take the laptop to the gig without reason, so I'm relying totally on my arranger during the actual gig. I think that after the holidays I will make backup MP3's of my most-needed accompaniment and store them on my Creative Labs Nomad MP3 player, which I usually keep in the car anyway.

BTW: I use Sonar 2.1 - it is very stable.
Posted by: DonM

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/04/02 08:01 AM

Best Buy has Nomad Jukebox 10-gig for $99. after rebate. Amazing!
I use it for both MP3 playback and for recording my performances live. Just plug it into the RCA outs on the PSR2000 and hit record. You can transfer to computer after you get home.
DonM

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/04/02 08:58 AM

Fran,
No there's nothing wrong, I'm 100% sure I used the Hyper Canvas output, And I don't like it that much, the sounds are ok, but compared to some HQ soundfonts they are crap.
It has some sounds that sound ok, but they are a lot less than some sounds in some soundfonts.
Fluid 3 for instance has a great grand piano (samples are taken from a Yamaha P200), great choir, violins etc., some sounds are even better than in a $3000 keyboard, and the average midi file sounds really great using these soundfonts.
The advantage you have is that you can use different soundfonts for different midi files.
So you can make midis sound the way you want them to.

Greetz ,
Marcel
Posted by: Vquestor

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/04/02 11:43 AM

Wazza,
I don't believe the Extigy has soundfont
support because when you go to soundblaster's site and hit "comparison chart", it says N/A for Extigy. It also
doesn't have ASIO drivers.

[This message has been edited by Vquestor (edited 12-04-2002).]

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/04/02 12:15 PM

Vquestor,
I looked at the comparison charts, you are are right, it doesn't support soundfonts, I thought it did, my mistake, sorry!
Well you can always install an Audigy (2) and convert your songs to MP3/Wave and put them on a laptop or CD .
Okay that is kinda useless if you already own an arranger, you can just plug the keyboard in your line-in and record those midis.
But still...
You are missing something if you don't have a soundcard that supports soundfonts .
If you look around you can find some real good soundfonts, and of course you can make your own.

Greetz ,
Marcel
Posted by: Vquestor

Re: Midi file playback systems? - 12/05/02 11:10 AM

DonM,
Regarding the Nomad 10GB Jukebox:
If you are having it play a song, and decide
you want to repeat the song, can this be done
simply? and will there be a lag time between
when the song ends and when it restarts?
Thanks.