Why are they called "PSR" keyboards?

Posted by: MarcK

Why are they called "PSR" keyboards? - 02/04/02 06:29 PM

An irrelevant but curious point -- where did Yamaha get the name PSR? Perhaps it is an acronym for Pads Styles Registrations.....? Any ideas?
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: Why are they called "PSR" keyboards? - 02/05/02 12:24 AM

Marck....I think its PSR = Portable Series Regular (Regular size keys)
PSS = Portable Series Small (Small size keys)

Graham UK
Posted by: BlueSuede

Re: Why are they called "PSR" keyboards? - 02/05/02 02:08 AM

I´ve read about this some years ago. All I remember is the "p" stands for portable.

Perhaps somone else remembers the rest?

Regards, Michael
Posted by: BlueSuede

Re: Why are they called "PSR" keyboards? - 02/05/02 02:10 AM

Oops, too late!

Regards, Michael
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Why are they called "PSR" keyboards? - 02/05/02 07:43 AM

Graham: I've been curious about that too. Thanks Btw, do the PSS models include (auto accompaniment) arranger features too?
Posted by: Bluezplayer

Re: Why are they called "PSR" keyboards? - 02/05/02 08:32 AM

PSS = Porta Sound Studio ( says so right on my PSS480 )

PSR = ??

"Korg" AJ
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Why are they called "PSR" keyboards? - 02/05/02 08:39 AM

PSR=Portatone Sound Recorder

but around my house
PSR=Play Something Right
or
Pretty Simple Really

Eddie
Posted by: Bluezplayer

Re: Why are they called "PSR" keyboards? - 02/05/02 10:06 AM

Scott,

PSS480 has auto accomp, but it is on par ( or maybe not even on par ) with the KMart type Casio boards of the 80s. Mine is about 16 years old now. It even has a very basic synth edit function. It "records" 5 tracks and 1 track of accomp. The sounds are wonderfully horrible, and I have sampled the "worst" of them, as they actually can be made to do some weird synth stuff pretty well with the right effects applied. My granddaughter now plays it..

Korg AJ
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Why are they called "PSR" keyboards? - 02/05/02 10:25 AM

AJ, Great to hear that your PSS480 may be on its way to becoming a priceless family heirloom. . . . then when your grand daughter becomes a famous musician, she can credit YOU and the PSS480 too
Posted by: Bob Hendershot

Re: Why are they called "PSR" keyboards? - 02/05/02 10:29 AM

I've got an almost antique PSS680 keyboard (called Portasound)that I use with my computer as a midi input board for notation work. It is portable, and has small keys (too small for me to play) but fine for notation work. It also has auto accomp with 100 styles although I don't use it. I got it because it is small and has midi in/out/thru for working on scores with my computer.