XD9 vs X1

Posted by: MrMelody55

XD9 vs X1 - 08/20/02 08:27 AM

Without getting into much details, I would like to know if it's a good idea to replace my X1 with the new XD9. I'm mostly concerned about the sounds and functions during live performance and/or midi playback and mixing features. Please give me some input.

Thanks
MM
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: XD9 vs X1 - 08/20/02 09:05 AM

I'm sure you'll get a few responses to this from different points of view. Here's mine.
The XD9 has GREATLY improved the drums and some sounds but the overall effect will be just a slight improvement because the X1 already sounded so good. The advances that I liked were in the button layout, although some things were better on the X1. This will all be determined by your comfort level and if you need certain fast access to things. For me - the XD9 has an advantage in the rhythms section for sure, and the solo sounds are tweaked up a little too. The biggest improvement is the acoustic piano sound. If that's important, it may be worth the upgrade for that alone.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: XD9 vs X1 - 08/20/02 09:30 AM

I agree with Uncle Dave, about the (only) slight improvement of the "overall effect".
I also didn't find there was a considerable improvement in many of the sounds. Many styles are new, but I find the (excellent) overall quality in the X1 not inferior to new keyboard.

In my opinion the acoustic piano sound is not a reason in itself to change keyboards, as there are optional soundbanks for X1, containing much better piano samples - that you can load on startup. I'm always using these new samples, that I find close in quality to the ones offered in the XD9.

I would also add the advantages of some new features introduced. Drum mix, bassist, rootless chord recognition (great for new live performance horizons), morphing, and a practical possibility of user pattern rearrangement in the memory.

-- José.
Posted by: DanO1

Re: XD9 vs X1 - 08/20/02 07:45 PM

The XD9 does incorporate features from the SD1 that I think are important .
#1. The ability to instantly remov all parts of a midi sequence ,except for drums + bass .....is a nice feature . I put an Elton John midi sequence in and play piano to that sequence with the bass and drums only . I just think that the drum bass feature is a nice tool . Save alot of time having to edit sequences . You get this feature with the XD9 + XD3 .
I really like the idea that the XD9 is less weight . 7lbs makes a difference .
I also like the layout of the intro/endings + fill ins better on the XD series vs. X1 .

The only thing I miss on the XD series is portamento + aftertouch .

Ok .....that's it for now . dano
danosmusic@yahoo.com

Re: XD9 vs X1 - 08/20/02 07:47 PM

BTW ......the drum remix on the XD series is perfect for anyone using midi sequences !

Very handy tool !
dano
Posted by: Mosiqaar

Re: XD9 vs X1 - 08/20/02 09:28 PM

NO AFTER TOUCH ON XD9????????? IS THAT TRUE FOR THE VEGA AS WELL????

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Posted by: KFingers

Re: XD9 vs X1 - 08/21/02 04:15 AM

Hey Dano,

Does the XD3 or XD9 respond to aftertouch via midi even thought the XD9 Keyboard is not actually capable of producing this type of midi data stream?

Keith
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: XD9 vs X1 - 08/21/02 05:49 AM

My opinion about the new drum remix feature: it surely is cool and DanO's demos are good examples of cases where excellent and effective results are obtained.

But I should say that from my limited time with the XD9, I got the impression that this feature is not always very usable. In the case of sequences where there are changes in tempo or strong dynamic contrast (for instance heavy drums alternating with sweet & soft parts in the same song/sequence) the results are far from being great (the best word I can find to define the result is "strange"), unlike the great demo DanO has shown us.

Anyway the drum remix remains a very interesting new feature for the live player.

-- José.

[This message has been edited by matias (edited 08-21-2002).]
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: XD9 vs X1 - 08/21/02 06:10 AM

I think the remix feature is trying to grab the population that likes to make a techno dance track of all the pop hits, the way "Titanic" and "How do I live" were TRANCEformed into house mixes with the same original vocal and basic trax.
It's not a bad thing, but it sure is useless for me. The reason I use a sequence is so I get the RIGHT drums, and don't have to compromise with a generic pattern. I have no need to deviate from the sequence at this time, but it's a novel feature, nonetheless.
Didn't the PSR2000 allow you to play the drum patterns along with a sequence too?

Re: XD9 vs X1 - 08/21/02 06:21 AM

Every feature with any keyboard may have limitations . The original questions was differences between the X1 + XD9 .

DRUM REMIX is different from X1 !

And just something different to mess with .
diggin it ! dano

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 08-21-2002).]
Posted by: Mosiqaar

Re: XD9 vs X1 - 08/21/02 07:30 PM

LOOOOL @ Dano
Posted by: MrMelody55

Re: XD9 vs X1 - 08/22/02 08:11 AM

Thank you all for your response! This was very helpfull.

MM