my first record on the T2....

Posted by: svpworld

my first record on the T2.... - 10/30/05 12:12 PM

Well, today I attempted my first multitrack recording on Tyros 2, just to see how it performed. For this little riff I began using the Acoustic Rock style, but only the drums and bass.. I muted the rest. I also began by playing an electric piano along with it to define a basic sequence. Next I laid down the SA Concert Acoustic Guitar. Then added a SA sax melody in places, then some SA jazz organ in the background and some SA warm electric guitar near the end in the rhythm section. Finally a smidge of choral pads to round off.

Unfortunately I dont have a harddrive installed in the T2 yet, so I had to record it into my PC soundcard. However I've opted for 192kbs WMA in 48KHz stereo, so it should sound pretty ok. You ought to be able to play this on windows media player. I recommend first downloading it (its 4MB) before playing, right click on the link below and choose save target as to do this. See what you think, as I said its a quick inventive riff so nothing musically wonderful about it!

http://www.svpworld.com/mp3/tyros%202/firstT2riffSVPworld.wma

Enjoy,

Simon

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!
Posted by: Eric, B

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/30/05 12:25 PM

Smooth Jazz baby... yeah...

Very nice sound, mix, blend use of voices etc.
Also very nice groove.

Well done.

Thanks for sharing

Eric
Posted by: Roel

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/30/05 12:33 PM

Simon,
Excellent playing & use of the T2 !

Thanks for sharing.

Roel
Posted by: DerfMuisc

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/30/05 01:45 PM

Simon. . .

Nice easy jazz kinda sound. Really liked it. What I'm hearing more than anything else about the T2, besides the life-like quality of the sounds, is how distinct they are within styles (of course you layered stuff of your own). The keyboard is a huge advancement over the tinny, unseparated sound of older keyboards, imo. By the way, I'd like to know more about how you recorded it. . .what kind of software for multi-tracking and how difficult it is to get the hang of (right now I use Goldwave without multi-tracking). Also, do you have any suggestions about sound cards (I just use the one that came with my Dell computer). Understand you're busy with the new board. I can always post these questions some other time. Thanks, DerfM

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/30/05 02:09 PM

Didn't use any software to make the recording. Everything you heard was recorded directly on the keyboards own sequencer, then the finished song played back and recorded from the tyros 2 line outputs. I tend to prefer using just a few tracks of a style, especially the presets as I find them too busy for my own stuff. Sometimes I use the whole style to get an idea down, then replace or delete the style tracks and add my own.
In terms of soundcards, I use a 24 bit M-Audio card. Its very basic when you compare it to the likes of creative stuff, but what it does it does well! (good clean quality). Of course once I put a harddrive in the Tyros 2, I wont need to worry about the PC soundcard as I can do direct digital recording to wav on the tyros 2.

Simon
Posted by: trtjazz

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/30/05 02:16 PM

Simon,
Eccellent piece and very well done the T2 sounds outstanding here. I do get a hint of a scratchie sound from the recording especially upfront, otherwise this is a demo I think Yamaha should be proud that you put up as a great advert for the T2.

I too find all styles way to bust and use only bits from any of them as you do.

Cool demo thanks,
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://www.musicchops.com/forums/
Posted by: DerfMuisc

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/30/05 02:18 PM

Simon. . .

Thanks. I've used the sequencer in the past, but there are limitations with adjusting levels and that sort of thing. At least now with the T2, we'll be able to use the sequencer and then add vocals on the hard drive, making the soundcard irrelevant. Anyway, sounds good. DerfM
Posted by: church

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/30/05 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by svpworld:
Didn't use any software to make the recording. Everything you heard was recorded directly on the keyboards own sequencer, then the finished song played back and recorded from the tyros 2 line outputs. I tend to prefer using just a few tracks of a style, especially the presets as I find them too busy for my own stuff. Sometimes I use the whole style to get an idea down, then replace or delete the style tracks and add my own.
In terms of soundcards, I use a 24 bit M-Audio card. Its very basic when you compare it to the likes of creative stuff, but what it does it does well! (good clean quality). Of course once I put a harddrive in the Tyros 2, I wont need to worry about the PC soundcard as I can do direct digital recording to wav on the tyros 2.

Simon
Simon niece job.Sounds great on my end.Got all th pluses on my Sound card pluse 5.1 speakers.I can hear just a tiny bit of scrathy sound like a old record on my Rig? but you hardly notice it.I'll have to listen to it again,I'll boost up my Hardware,have for gameing on low some times to get higher FPS.Question,on the sax breathing,and any thing else for Mega,Articuilar,what is needed or do you use?like foot switches,Volume Pedals? Great job,and your other hard work for support and so on.Thanks.Hearing more of this T2 make me just wanting to order one up,then the Wife will have me live somewhere else.(MONEY)Just Bought the 3000 a Month ago,darn it.
Ron

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/30/05 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by church:
Quote:
Originally posted by svpworld:
[b]Didn't use any software to make the recording. Everything you heard was recorded directly on the keyboards own sequencer, then the finished song played back and recorded from the tyros 2 line outputs. I tend to prefer using just a few tracks of a style, especially the presets as I find them too busy for my own stuff. Sometimes I use the whole style to get an idea down, then replace or delete the style tracks and add my own.

Simon
Simon niece job.Sounds great on my end.Got all th pluses on my Sound card pluse 5.1 speakers.I can hear just a tiny bit of scrathy sound like a old record on my Rig? but you hardly notice it.I'll have to listen to it again,I'll boost up my Hardware,have for gameing on low some times to get higher FPS.Question,on the sax breathing,and any thing else for Mega,Articuilar,what is needed or do you use?like foot switches,Volume Pedals? Great job,and your other hard work for support and so on.Thanks.Hearing more of this T2 make me just wanting to order one up,then the Wife will have me live somewhere else.(MONEY)Just Bought the 3000 a Month ago,darn it.
Ron

[/B]
I Jacked up my sound card hardware,get the same,It's tiny small crackling sound? anybody else get this?I have the SB audigy2 value sound Card, not the best but it does the job 99.99%.Some of us been having problems with this card because SB won't give us a latter Driver.it's ok on other Media playing,just wondering on Simons Demo?
Ron
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/30/05 03:13 PM

Very nice Somon.

Everything about the Tyros sounds awesome EXCEPT the drums. I am a drummer, and those drums sound way too laid back. I like in your face snares and more contemporary riffs. I think Yamaha needs to do a better job of getting this right in their styles and drum kits. I know they added power drums, but that's not what I'm talking about. They should have added more contemporary drum sounds and styles.

IMHO
Al
Posted by: saxxman

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/30/05 03:14 PM

Hey Simon - KEWL KEWL Tracks! I don't say much on here.... but as a sax player and a smooth jazz freak, I have to commend you on that effort! The T2 sax sounds amazing to me. I have 2 Yamaha wind controllers and their VL-70 tone generator, and the sound on the T2 surpasses the sounds I can get from the VL-70. After hearing the demo's, I couldn't resist.. I am on Dan0's delivery list too... gotta have a T2 for myself! Again...great sounding tracks!
Posted by: loungelyzard

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/30/05 04:13 PM

Simon:
Enjoyed the listen, Bravo.....
Your work is still amazing, if you don't believe that, look at all the guys that seems to be coming out of the woodwork here, Just to behold.........Pose
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/30/05 04:27 PM

Simon,

Some very nice work!!

Quote:
originally posted by ron.
Hearing more of this T2 make me just wanting to order one up,then the Wife will have me live somewhere else.Just Bought the 3000 a Month ago,darn it.

Ron, I'd have to live somewhere else myself if I bought a T2. Bought a 3000 and a CVP 307 earlier this year.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 10-30-2005).]
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/30/05 04:41 PM

Simon,
That is my kinda stuff. great job and thanks for sharing.
Usually scratchy sounds, clicks etc, are from recording into the computer when everything else has not been shut down. Not that important for a demo.
best to you Simon and will be looking for more demo's if you can spare the time to share.
Best all
Bebop
Posted by: cwalkeralso

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/30/05 04:42 PM

Simon

I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of my T2, and just as anxiously awaiting your creation of styles for the T2. You'll work wonders with its available voices, and your ear for simpler sets. Keep up the great work!

Your fan,

Charles

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/30/05 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
Simon,
That is my kinda stuff. great job and thanks for sharing.
Usually scratchy sounds, clicks etc, are from recording into the computer when everything else has not been shut down. Not that important for a demo.
best to you Simon and will be looking for more demo's if you can spare the time to share.
Best all
Bebop
Hi Bebop,I'll try that,shuting stuff down,yes not inportant.Hey Bebop,where can you (me) play the new Tyros2 in our area,or does any one else know where?Guitar Center down by you Don't have it,and Music Unlimitited,they told me won't have it,only will order it,and give the Internet Price,I asked him,and with no tax,sales person just laughed,made no comment.Do you have your T2 yet? Take care.Live in the Bay area,Fremont,CA.
Ron

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/31/05 12:30 AM

All note, the 'scratching sounds' are intentional! They are part of the drum track, which has authentic record crackle to give it a modern warmth! There's nothing wrong with your computers or the encoding!

Regards
Simon

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!
Posted by: chony

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/31/05 04:59 AM

Great job. This was the most informative recording I've heard on the Ty2. Very well done, and I like the crackle track (I think that's what some people are referring to about the scratching sound.)
Posted by: trident

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/31/05 09:31 AM

Very well done, I like it, it is a very good demo. Sounded excellent in those $5 speakers I have at work....can hear no cracking/scratching sound though.
Posted by: abacus

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/31/05 09:47 AM

Ideal music for late night listening.
Very nicely done.

Bill
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: my first record on the T2.... - 10/31/05 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by church:
Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
[b]Simon,

Bebop
Hi Bebop,I'll try that,shuting stuff down,yes not inportant.Hey Bebop,where can you (me) play the new Tyros2 in our area,or does any one else know where?Guitar Center down by you Don't have it,and Music Unlimitited,they told me won't have it,only will order it,and give the Internet Price,I asked him,and with no tax,sales person just laughed,made no comment.Do you have your T2 yet? Take care.Live in the Bay area,Fremont,CA.
Ron

[/B]

HI RON,
I am in South San Jose and should have the new Tyros 2 by the end of the week, from Dan O'Neil owner of Keyboard City in Baltimore.
Dan called me yesterday to tell me he is expecting mine in today and will trans ship it to me.
I am in the San Jose phone book under Bill and Jann Forrest
You do know that Scott Yee is just on the other side of you in Bezerkeley and is getting his Ty 2 this week also.
Best to you and yours,
Bebop