Mic stand didn't last long

Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

Mic stand didn't last long - 04/18/05 06:57 AM

One of the boom mic stands I have had seen only about 20 to 30 gigs. A sticker says "Fort," so, I guess that is brand. Made in China, like everything else. It broke right in two. There is a flat section just below where the boom joins the pole... part of the clamp. Total failure, snapped in two. I am sure I wouldn't be lucky enough to have a receipt.

Have you found this to be usual?

Any brand you recommend? Hey, Don, if you rea this, you don't happen to have a boom piece, do ya?
Posted by: DonM

Re: Mic stand didn't last long - 04/18/05 08:02 AM

Sure I have one. It's broken in the same place! I guess it pays to buy better stuff.
I have another one that must be 20 years old, but it's still going strong. Unfortunately for you, I'm using it most every night.
Sorry.
DonM
Posted by: Tony Rome

Re: Mic stand didn't last long - 04/18/05 08:16 AM

Bill....go to this link and check this out...
I bought thid one and it seems to be good, It
does what I need it to do, looks good and the price is right.... http://www.5150musicsupply.com/products.asp?cat=15&pg=2 ...
Tony Rome
Posted by: Sheriff

Re: Mic stand didn't last long - 04/18/05 08:56 AM

Hi to all!

I'm using a X'TREM PERFORMANCE stand and it seems to be very stabil with its three feet stand. I'm using a swan neck side holder for the accoustic guitar mic and a pivot arm for the vocal mic. It's well balanced even if you tip with your feet on the stand. The material seems to be full metal (black anodized) and I need much power to wring that neck...

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Mic stand didn't last long - 04/18/05 09:44 AM

I have a Quik Lok, tripod mic boom stand[15 - 20 years]...it is a backup for me[still like new]...made in Italy..

My primary mic boom is the Apex plus[Ultimate Support} set up..My secondary is a Quik Lok[Italy] mic boom that attaches to my doulble braced X stand...

All three work fine..

BTW Ultimate Support products are guaranteed for life...and they mean it..
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: Mic stand didn't last long - 04/18/05 11:31 AM

Two words, Bill. Head Set.

Eddie
Posted by: freddynl

Re: Mic stand didn't last long - 04/18/05 12:34 PM

I have two no name stands.
I use them since 1968.
So I don't care about brand at all.

The mike holders (or whatever they are called in english) is another story.
They last about three month's and break.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Mic stand didn't last long - 04/18/05 01:54 PM

I use Peavy mic holders[rubberized]...same 3 for at least 10 years..
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Mic stand didn't last long - 04/18/05 03:44 PM

I have a pair of Atlas Sound boom mic stands that I've had for about 20 years, they're heavy as hell, and they're fitted with spring loaded mic clips that are nearly indestructable. These are for the other folks that sometimes come over for a jam session. For me--head set mic. OH YEAH!

Gary