MZ2000 in NYC

Posted by: Shakil

MZ2000 in NYC - 12/08/00 02:23 PM

If you are in NYC area, then go to SamAsh at 48th and broadway to play with MZ2000..
This board is very well laid out. Very impressive synthesizer section, rivals all the big guns, Roland, Yamaha and KORG pro synths. Too bad you can save only 40 user sounds. But it's really amazing. If this one could import samples, it would be a hell of sampler. you can have 4 tones per patch, all with layering, velocity switching, key zone, each layer has it's own envelopes, amp, filter, pitch, 2 lfos per layer... wow!!!
The Effects section is VERY huge. Much more flexible than PSRs, even more flexible than 9000.... because you can link same insert effect to more than one channels.
There are four insert effects blocks, one master chorus, one master reverb, and one master overall effect. The effects themselves have minimal but effective paramters.
The styles are simpler than all others, but you can always create your own. the sequencer is huge too, paterns are there... will go back to explore more in this area.
The board is beautiful, buttons are sturdy, keys are really high quality, better than PSR740, PSR 8000... nice touch...
The sounds are fine. But the drums are asking for more... but for this price $1200.... I think it's a very flexible workstation... It's not only an arranger, but a completly featured pro synthesizer....
Those sliders can effect the sound in real time.....
MZ2000 is a long step ahead of the other CASIO clan.... and it stands boldly next to PSR740, KORG i40, ROLANDs, E and Gs.... If it had sampling, it would make the other arranger/sampler keyboards shy....
Posted by: squeak_D

Re: MZ2000 in NYC - 12/08/00 06:48 PM

Shakil,
How right you are! This new MZ is amazing, and I agree with you that in many areas it's better than the Yamaha PSR's... I had no idea the Casios synth engine allows one to use 4 parts, and has velocity switching! That's something you find mostly on higher end models. I'm buying one of these as soon as I can get the money together. I currently own several workstations, but I like using (good) arrangers more. I have one of Yamaha's top synths that I've been trying to get rid of so I can get the MZ, but no one (not even dealers will offer me a good price for it.....) Hopefully I can get one while the price is down so low.. Oh I had no idea you could use the 9 sliders for editing more than the draw bars.... That makes this board even better...

Squeak