Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going

Posted by: rikkisbears

Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/08/06 07:30 PM

Hi Frank,
how are you?, I was starting to worry that maybe you weren't feeling too bright after your surgery, We haven't heard from you in a while.

Just wondering how you were going with Bandstand for your styles? Or have you found something better. Don't know if I'm imagining things, but did you at one stage mention they may be bringing out a smaller version??

Don't know whether you're aware , but Rikki2006 Arranger, went into meltdown. I overheated my laptop ( may not be worth repairing) I lost all my soundfont edits & possibly my edited styles. Don't know what's backed up on CD , as the CD is in the laptop.
Fortunately I've still got copies of all my original soundfonts & programs.

New laptop, I'm getting at least 1 gig of memory, hopefully 2, if hubby will let me spend the extra. Not sure if I'll stay with the fonts or switch to Hypersonic or maybe even Bandstand.

Can you hook 2 laptops up together?? haahaa
(for music purposes that is)

best wishes
Rikki
Posted by: Frank L. Rosenthal

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/09/06 06:17 AM

Rikki, kind of you to enquire about my condition. I am still recovering (slower than most people) from my hip surgery. So I have less pain then I used to but my muscles are weak from the operation and lack of activity. I am doing all the therapy things but it is slow to recover from all this for me.

I still plan on staying with kontakt and Bandstand as my main sound sources. NI are busily correcting bugs in both. In the case of Bandstand, NI is developing a smaller Wavetable such that the instruments will load close to instantly. In addition, there will be a larger version for enhanced quality. The larger wavetable works well for live performances in high class night spots or similar venues (book stores, etc.). If NI succeeds in its updates there software should work well in all live performance settings.

I may even give Hypersonic 2 a try but I will now wait to see what comes of these updates.

In addition, I will acquire NI Kore to see if I can replace forte Ensemble as my host software.

I have kept my hardware unchanged for the last year or more. My system remains very reliable....but I use it only for music. I even do all my music editing (instruments, styles, midis and so on) on my general purpose computer. This keeps my music computer from having crashes.

I am very sad to hear that your laptop failed....must have worked it to fast....but I am unbearably sad that you bought an arranger keyboard.... Rikki has to many resources...oh well!!!

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 04-09-2006).]
Posted by: Tomcat

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/09/06 06:34 AM

Hi Frank,

Hang in there man and keep doing your rehab exercises; things will eventually get better and you'll be OK. My wife had her right knee replaced last year and it is now working great and pain free BUT now her left knee is acting up and she will eventually have to have it replaced also.

I'm about ready, now that taxes are over and covered, to get Garritan JABBE, Garritan Solo Stradivarius Violin and Kontact 2. All that will keep me going until GPOA comes out and then I'll stop, at least for a while, and try to learn how to REALLY use all the stuff I've already got. Oh, and I'm thinking about getting a CME UF7 with all it's sliders and knobs to run Tomcat2006 with, although I'm not having any problems using my Tyros 1 as a controller; I just want the extra control from the midi faders and knobs.

Take care and get rehabed,
Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/09/06 06:57 AM

Tom, thanks for your kind comments. I may need to have other hip replaced but will need to see after I recover from all this.

It is exciting to see you trying out the software approach....the Tomcat2006 software arranger system....wow!!! You won't regret it whether you use it as an extension to the Tyros or to eventually replace it. You will enjoy the Garritan Libraries they are very good. The one drawback is the need to use the modulation wheel for volume & timbre control. This is not as good for live performance. I have found a way around this should you ever be interested. Someone on the internet wrote a script for kontakt to defeat this feature. Garritan believes this feature provides better qaulity recordings for studio work & recording....continuous control as you play in the notes on a per track basis.

I have some of Garritan's Libraries (GPO, JABB & Strings). They are very good indeed. Other good libraries include (EW Colousses, the one which comes with Kontakt 2, etc.). In addition, if you ever have a need for a very high quality individual instruments (piano or other instruments) you can always find them and make them part of your system. Also as you have noted GPOA will likely be a worthwhile library to acquire.

I hear nothing but good comments about CME keyboards. I use the Roland A37 for years. So may be it's time for me to take a closer look at controllers.
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/09/06 07:38 AM

GPOA, enlighten me, never heard of this, could also find no information at http://www.garritan.com/ as i suppose it is a new sample package from these masters.

Next to that all i read about CME (looking for a masterkeyboard myself) isn't all possitive, espescially the key action of their 88 keys version is way behind Yamaha(1st, even KORG Oasys uses these) and Roland (2nd) but still indeed way better then M-audio's 88 keys version. Also CME's sliders seem to be of a low quallity.

CME is bringing out a new series VX7 and VX8 soon, its supposed to have better keyaction too.

And to Frank, i saw the NI Kore in action on the MESSE in frankfurt and it was what truned my face towards a software solution in the first place. verry smooth action seemed oriented to live use and is prolly the future of VST instruments
Posted by: Vquestor

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/09/06 07:40 AM

Frank, glad to hear you are recovering well.

Rikki, I would suggest you consider replacing your fried laptop with one of those mid-sized
towers(around 14"x14"x7")since they even
have full sized PCI slots. The new SATA drives also use a much smaller cable, so air now circulates better in these smaller enclosures.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/09/06 01:04 PM

Frank.....
Great to hear your recovering nicely, before you know it you'll be back on your feet, playing music & enjoying life again...
I'd love to send you one of my new CD's as a get well Gift from me if you like email me your address.

Get Well Soon My Friend!
Posted by: Tomcat

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/09/06 03:37 PM

Yes GPOA is "Garritan Personal Orchestra, Advanced" version that they are working on now and it will, hopefully, be released sometime later this year or early next year. Gary says it is loaded with new and different ways of doing things that will advance the art of sampling, so we are anxiously awaiting it.

Frank, I only work in my studio as my live "gig" is as a church organist and they furnish the organ. At this point I use mostly Cubase SX-3 along with my Trinity V3, Tyros 1 and Fantom XR module with all six SRX card slots filled. I have instrument definition files for Cubase for all of that stuff plus I use GPO, EWQL Silver Orchestra XP and a lot of stuff I've downloaded off the web. Sometime during the rest of this year I intend to get Kontakt 2, Garritan Solo Violin, JABBE, Korg Legacy Collection Digital Edition, NI B4II and, whenever it comes out, GPOA. That'll be enough to occupy me for quite a while and by then it will be time to upgrade my computer, go to Vista 64, re-purchase all my present 32 bit apps and start this thing all over again, LOL.

Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/09/06 04:40 PM

Hi Vquestor,
could you give me a bit more detail about the computer you just mentioned below. ie brand name??
I haven't ordered a new laptop yet, so I'm open to suggestions.
I'm just not particularly keen on getting a full size tower, there again I don't really need the complete portability of a laptop.

I'm a real dummy when it comes to computer
hardware, I don't really keep up to date on what's around.

Suggestions would be most appreciated.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Vquestor:
Rikki, I would suggest you consider replacing your fried laptop with one of those mid-sized
towers(around 14"x14"x7")since they even
have full sized PCI slots. The new SATA drives also use a much smaller cable, so air now circulates better in these smaller enclosures.

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/09/06 05:00 PM

Hi Frank,
sorry to hear it's taking extra time for you to recover. Hang in there.

If you happen to hear anything on the smaller wavetable Bandstand, please let us know.

What is NI Kore, something similar to Forte Ensemble?? I'll have to check it out.

I suppose with my laptop getting fried, I now have the opportunity of starting over,
I don't want a large tower, Vquestor mentioned a smaller computer.
I vaguely remember a discussion on computers way back.

best wishes
rikki

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/09/06 06:52 PM

Rikki, Vquestor's suggestion is a good one. I will go toward that approach once I upgrade my music computer. Here is an example:
http://sys.us.shuttle.com/

Bachus, your knowledge about controllers is likely much more than mine. I have heard only good things about the CME and the company's newer version controllers. There may be other controllers of even higher quality, for example:
http://www.viscount.it/products.asp?idcat1=-250368922

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/09/06 06:58 PM

Tom, I am envious of all your libraries and associated software. You are well positioned with a first class studio for everything music....say it again....wow!!!

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/09/06 07:33 PM

Thank you Frank,
I'll do some reading. Only problem may be, what's actually available here in Aust.
We don't always get the same great stuff you do in the USA.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/10/06 01:54 AM

As a wannabe member of our little softsynth group, I am glad about Frank's report of steady, albeit slow progress.

I am steadily learning the Receptor, and how to configure Colossus and B4ll. I chose the Muse Receptor mainly for live gigs, and am happy with it. As you all know, the quality is readily apparent when compared to even high end keyboards.

One thing I am learning is that, eventhough the samples from Colossus are great, one has to shape the envelopes for their own purpose. Kontact seems to handle that easily. The software products coming out is breathtaking, and in view of the above reports, live applications are fast forthcoming.

I am sure my decision to go to software was the right one, although I am running a hybrid system with my KN7000 until I and the industry come up with accompaniment suitable for live use.

Thanks for the threads.
Bernie
Posted by: cajun100

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/10/06 04:56 PM

Rikki:
Here are a couple of Australia links that will get you started. The new small Apple unit would permit BOTH Windows and Apple software to be used (this is a brand-new situation). http://www.apple.com/au/macmini/
(Apple gear is expensive but sexy)

Dell is one of the most popular "build to suit customer" operations in the U. S. http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/desktops_au?c=au&l=en&s=dhs
(Dell PC gear is competitively priced)

I build and program my own computers (PC) but this takes a few (LOL) years of practice to get it done and keep your sanity. Let me know if I can provide more useful information. I want to know more about OMB from you (soon I will ask the questions).

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/10/06 08:07 PM

Rikki,
I am no expert, but was recommending something
like the mini tower size listed here: http://www.xoxide.com/buy-computer-cases.html

Frank suggested the small form factor(6 pack)
size, which is excellent, but,I think, is
more expensive and limited than the mini tower. http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/01/05/casing_out_microatx/

Either one is still small enough to be practical for live gigs. You would, of course,need a nice, small flat panel monitor.

[This message has been edited by Vquestor (edited 04-10-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Vquestor (edited 04-10-2006).]

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/10/06 09:10 PM

Thank you Vquestor,
way beyond my understanding of computers.
If you're no expert, can't imagine where that leaves me ( haa haa)
I was having enough trouble trying to configure a new dell laptop.
2 years ago I had 3.06 ghtz? processor
now they've dropped back to 1.66 as an average with duo processors. That has me confused enough.
Thank you anyway. Unless it's idiot proof, I'll get myself in a mess.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vquestor:
[B]Rikki,

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/10/06 09:36 PM

Hi Cajun,
just had a quick peek. The mac mini sounded great, till I got to the moniter part ( I was configuring one of the systems) the moniter was more expensive than the mini mac, ( 20 inch monitor) do you happen to know if other types of monitors will work, like the dells.
I don't want to delve too deeply, the monitor price just put the the mac way over my budget( hubby set me a limit) and I don't want too get too excited about something I can't afford.
I've been keeping an eye on the dell site for the last few weeks, waiting for the right configuration to pop up on special. If I do get another dell, it will be another laptop, not a tower, they're just too bulky.

The only thing that's got me totally confused is the duo processors. I noticed the macmini has it also.
I don't want to end up with a slower computer than my last 2 year old dell laptop which had a 3.06 ghz processor & 512mb memory.
Any help would be appreciated.

I'll only be too happy to try & help with OMB.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cajun100:
[B]Rikki:

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/11/06 01:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Thank you Vquestor,
way beyond my understanding of computers.
If you're no expert, can't imagine where that leaves me ( haa haa)
Thank you anyway. Unless it's idiot proof, I'll get myself in a mess.
best wishes
Rikki

No, Rikki, I was not suggesting you build
your own mini tower, but only gave you the
links as FYI. I went to a Costco today, and
almost all the PCs there, were of the
mini-tower size(approx. 14"x7"x14"), and
had 3 PCI slots. So this size tower is becoming very popular.
Posted by: cajun100

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/11/06 05:00 PM

Rikki:
Regarding the MacMini -- the info from Apple says you can "use any industry standard monitor, mouse, keyboard". This gives you an enormous world of choices for monitors, for example. Those Apple monitors "recommended" on the site are VERY high end and high tech, and thus very expensive. My advice on monitors: go to a good computer retail store, LOOK at the monitors for a bit, change colors, etc. (or get a demo from sales force). Go back more than once. Find one you really like. Excellent LCD monitors have come WAY down in price in the last 2 years. Samsung, LG, Sony, MAG, others make a number of competitive models.

"Dual core" processors are the latest thing. You should get some more input from a real knowledgeable Apple user (I am not) -- but I suspect that the MacMini would be more than ample for what you want to do. If you decide to use Mac.

The neat thing this year is that finally Apple has a partnership with Intel and a neat new software package that lets you use Apple AND Windows software. Maximum choice. I think it will be a big seller.

Re: Hi Frank, How's FLR20006 Music System Going - 04/11/06 06:05 PM

Thank you Vquestor & Cajun,
I will check out the options you suggested.
I think I may well end up with another laptop though. Hubby's a bit worried that I will miss the portability of the laptop, especially if we do a bit of travelling. It will give me something to play around with on trips.
best wishes
Rikki