More Jobim "stuff"

Posted by: Mario

More Jobim "stuff" - 08/02/02 02:14 PM

Hi Gang:
I've been "laboring" hard at finishing my album and I just finish recording one of my favorite Jobim's tunes "Once I loved". Please take a listen and if possible give your opinion. (Chico, where are you when I need you!)
I used the Y2K and Cakewalk pro9 to "tweak" it. Strings, guitar and Flute predominate thru the arrangement and I use an edited "hybrid" latin/bossa style that I made up of two PSR styles I got from the Internet. The vocals were also recorded thru Cakewalk’s audio facility.
Thanks for listening.
http://members.aol.com/varionj/onceilove.mp3

Mario

[This message has been edited by Mario (edited 08-02-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Mario (edited 08-02-2002).]
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/02/02 02:35 PM

Mario: In ONE word - SUPERB ! Your impeccable keyboard performance, orchestral arrangerment, and flawless vocal delivery was captured beautifully, and with such heartfelt emotion. I think yours may be one of my favorite recordings of this Jobim classic that I've ever heard. BRAVO ! - Scott
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/02/02 02:55 PM

Mario, your voice is becoming a trademark... since the first bar I thought "Ah, it's him again!"
Congratulations: as usual, a rendition full of feeling and depth.
One curiosity: are you going to sell your album or was that just for your own pleasure?

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/02/02 02:58 PM

Thanks Scott:
I guess we both belong to the "Mutual Admiration Society" (I love your renditions as well). I did listen to you when you suggested I should sing from the Head and not the diaphragm, and right you are, it's easier to sing and the audience feels more at "ease".
Jobim's music lends itself to do wonderful things with it since his chord/melody formations are so "melodious" although sometimes "intricate" due to his unconventional writing. I really miss the man.
Thanks for the positive "review", now I can put it in my new album!
Regards,
Mario
Posted by: ChicoBrasil

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/02/02 03:07 PM

Hello amigo.

Fantastic!
Antonio Carlos Jobim may be happy.
Mario played bossa nova with brasilian taste.
Dirk Baert may be happy,too.
Hello Dirk;Where are you?
We have a big campanion!!!

Brasilian regards,
Chico (Jobim fan)
Posted by: Tony W

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/02/02 03:36 PM

Hello Mario,
Excellent job. Your MP3 sounded wonderful! I could listen to this kind of music all night long.....in fact as it is 11.30pm here in the uk I probably will. (I've got it on repeat )
ttfn
Tony

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/02/02 04:25 PM

Ciao Andrea:
I can always depend on you "mio caro amico" when I need you for a feedback. Deep down I know how "romantico" a fellow you are, and this song is all that. However, it seems we are a dying breed. It's a different culture out there; my wife and I were just in Ibiza and Mallorca for two weeks, we looked for some "live/romantic" entertainment everywhere; it's Spain, you know? and all we found was disco, disco and more disco; Even Cala d’or, (very romantic spot)had no live entertainment. The closest thing to “live” entertainment was people singing Karaoke. (I guess I am letting my age come thru).
Oh well, in answer to your question, whether I am doing my album to sell, or for my own "amazement"? … it’s the latter. I trully enjoy listening to my own stuff and so does my wife, but then again she's still in love with me after 29 years (and me with her) so she can be a little prejudiced.
Anyway, I haven't heard some of your latest renditions, so I better make a stop at your web site and “catch up”. I do enjoy your romantic song as well.
Ciao for now.
Mario
Posted by: freddynl

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/02/02 04:35 PM

First impression;
Excellent, very pleasant in listening, I always liked the flutes of Yamaha (the only instrument they are better as roland.)

comments;
In fact none, allthough maybe I would at the end give the last notes a longer duration/fade out. but that's just personal taste.
And it might be caused because I was listening to something complete different...
(tangerine dream)which might colour my opinion.

anyway excellent stuff..(where can I order the cd?)

Fred

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/02/02 04:42 PM

Hola Chico:
I am "so" glad you are back in circulation, there is a God up there after all my friend.
I guess by now you know my "undying" love for our mutually admired boy Jobim. As far as I concerned, it will be a long while before any one comes close to the originality and beauty of his "legacy" in popular music. His songs had no "barriers", there is no place in this world where his music isn't heard or won't be in the future. After all this years,(I grew up listening and playing his stuff)his music still reigns in my "hit parade". All I can do as a musician is try to do justice to his song the best way I am able to, (hmmm) and hopefully I've approached that with "once I Loved".
Thanks for the complement,
Regards,
Mario

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/02/02 04:55 PM

Hi Fred:
Good point, the flute should (and will)have a longer note ending. That's why it's so important to have others listen to your music, so thanks for taking the time to listen.
As far as the CD being for sale, it isn't. It is meant for "public Realtions" and If you want a copy, I will be glad to give you one when it is finished (soon, I hope), only if you promise to listen to the whole album. Deal?
Regards,
Mario
Posted by: freddynl

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/02/02 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mario:
Hi Fred:
Good point, the flute should (and will)have a longer note ending. That's why it's so important to have others listen to your music, so thanks for taking the time to listen.
As far as the CD being for sale, it isn't. It is meant for "public Realtions" and If you want a copy, I will be glad to give you one when it is finished (soon, I hope), only if you promise to listen to the whole album. Deal?
Regards,
Mario

DEAL!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: seanbaker

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/02/02 05:09 PM

Mario, very good arrangement. Your voice is very nice too.

What keyboard did you use for the trombone, flute, and guitar sounds, or all of them for that matter. One keyboard?

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/02/02 05:20 PM

Tony:
I hope your are still awake! I didn't know that there are still people out there that listen to "mushy" stuff like this but I guessed wrong. Anyway, thanks for the complement, this forum has more romantic folks in it than I thought previously. Guess ther's still hope for us old souls like me.
Say, on another note, do you happen to know a singer/pianist/composer the name of Ruth Allen in England? She is a great talent that I just had the fortune to meet personally a couple of weeks ago in one of my gigs in Spring Lake NJ, and she is unbeliebable good. Not young, I think she may be hovering 70 but very well preserved pretty lady and with a great voice. She gave me a couple of her albums which are excellent, lots of jazz but mostly her writing abilities. She is now performing at The Savoy in London on Fridays and Staurday Nights. She Just did a concert in NY where she performed with Michael Feinstein and Geroge Shearing. I am just wondering if you heard of her or perhaps know her.
Sweet dreams my friend,
Mario

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/02/02 05:29 PM

Sean:
Yes, I used the PSR2000 exclusively and the help (for editing and vocals) of Cakewalk Pro9, great program with lots of features and a great interface. It works "flawlessly" with a PC with a big HD and a fast CPU. You also need an audio USB interface like the Edirol UA-1A ($89)to get your audio(vocals, etc.) "digitalized" into the PC.
Let me know if you need more info, I'll be glad to help you.
reagrds,
Mario
Posted by: jedi

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/02/02 06:54 PM

Hi Mario,
What can I say !
Great .... work "Once I Loved " is perfect !!
You have a NICE voice and your arrangments are superb. You make me proud to own a "Y2K"
Please..... Keep up the fine music your making, Best of luck , you my friend have a great future with the music you make
jedi
Posted by: seanbaker

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/02/02 09:28 PM

Quote:
Sean:
Yes, I used the PSR2000 exclusively and the help (for editing and vocals) of Cakewalk Pro9, great program with lots of features and a great interface. It works "flawlessly" with a PC with a big HD and a fast CPU. You also need an audio USB interface like the Edirol UA-1A ($89)to get your audio(vocals, etc.) "digitalized" into the PC.
Let me know if you need more info, I'll be glad to help you.
reagrds,
Mario

I just wanted to know about the soudns, because the trombone impressed me. I am still searching fo a keyboard to buy, and though arranger keybouards probably won't be the way to go for me, it does seem they have better solo brass/reed sounds than synth workstations.

Thanks,
Sean
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/02/02 10:53 PM

Mario ... nice work. Sounds just wonderful.
I'm going to try to sneak up to see you sometime on Sunday ... if that option is still open...... Where can I call you?
I'll be in Spring Lake all day Sunday.
Posted by: DonM

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/02/02 11:01 PM

Really great Mario! I'll listen more after some sleep.
DonM
Posted by: trtjazz

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/03/02 03:47 AM

Mario,
Outstanding! I'm a huge Jobim fan to begin with and you did a great job on this rendition.
jam on,
Terry
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/03/02 04:35 AM

Mario...
Beautiful. The blend of your voice with that of the instrument voices is superb.
Eddie

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/03/02 07:13 AM

Good morning Uncle!
I am glad you like my Jobim's rendition. Of course we are still on! My wife is getting her "pots and Pans" ready for your "meat gravy". Heres my cell # 732 861-8129, or try me at home 732 922-3021. We are looking forward to meet "our Uncle" on the net. Sunday is great!
If you make it early enough in the day, I'll be going out to the field to fly my RC helis and maybe I can put a "show" for you. Game?
Mario

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/03/02 07:17 AM

Mario,
I wish I could join you and Dave! I talked to him by phone about 1:00 a.m. this morning to get his first impressions of the Ketron. He is looking forward to seeing you.
Don

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/03/02 07:28 AM

Don, Terry and Eddy:
Much obliged for taking the time to listen, I know is hard to divert from the main subject in this forum (discussing the new keyboards on the market) which takes priority over "irrelevant" stuff like someone's home recording. Your kind comments are well received and an encouragement towards the completion of my album.
Regards,
Mario

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/03/02 08:05 AM

Sean:
Yes, the PSR2000 is a great "all around" KB for the money; even with all its faults, like the “ridiculously” small internal Flash memory, awkward file/registration saving system, etc. The sounds, on it's majority, are adequate, strings, grand piano, sweet flute. The trombone and soprano sax are superb! etc..
Arrangers, for what they are, do provide the performer with a "short cut" to live work, eliminating most of the "tweaking" that goes with programming a synthesizer and giving you the "extras" like Styles and Registrations. So I don't think that you can go wrong with buying an arranger, especially if you are into Solo gigging.
Mario

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/03/02 08:16 AM

Good morning Don:
The invitation remains open!
If you can get away (and I know you got a heavy schedule this week end) just give us a call 732 922-3021 or my cell 732 861-8129 and you can join us.
UD did confirm for Sunday and my wife and I are looking forward to meet him.
However, if you can't make it, we will definitely hook up soon now that I know you live only 20 minutes south of me.
Have a great gig....ehr, gigs.
Mario
Posted by: Tony W

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/03/02 03:43 PM

Hello Mario,
Of course I love the Mushy stuff!!! That is what life is all about IMHO. A good glass of wine and no disturbances while you listen to it are my idea of Heaven!

Yes I have heard Ruth Allens work. She is truly a talented lady and I am so envious that you actually met her. Unfortunately the only way I would get to see her at the Savoy is if I were in her band. It is notoriously expensive. Still such a Classy lady deserves a classy venue!

best wishes
Tony

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/03/02 04:32 PM

Hi Mario,
Wrong Don. I'm about 20 HOURS South of you.
In Louisiana. Donnie Pesce is in NJ.
I was joking, but I do WISH I could be there.
One of these days . . .
DonM
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/03/02 09:30 PM

Quote:
My wife is getting her "pots and Pans" ready for your "meat gravy"

aaagh ! Put the pots away .... I have an emergency to cover in Philly tomorrow. A good friend is loosing his father (in Florida) due to a terrible car crash a week ago. I have to sub for him from 2-5 so he can fly down to be with his dad. This may be his last chance to see him, and the gig is an Orthadox affair, so a lot of my friends could'nt cover it. weird parties for us Easterners .... Men are not allowed to dance with the women.

Mario - I would love to get a "rain check" from you .... we're so close, maybe sometime soon? I'll make a special trip, just for the sauce !
Dave

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/04/02 07:20 AM

UD:
Oh well! One of the disavantages of this business we are in.
I thoroughly understand. I've been in the same situation many times, In fact I had a wedding to attend (my wife's cousin) next Saturday at the Deal CC and had to cancel because of my gig a the Spring Lake B&T. we'll plan for the near future and maybe DonJ will be able to make it.
As far as next Sunday, unfortunately my wife is on duty (She runs the Nursing Home facility at Marriotts' "Leasure Park" in Lakewood.)
Have a great gig!

Mario

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/04/02 08:03 AM

Don:
Sorry about that. I didn't mean to get you guys "mixed up", but your names (without my reading glasses) do look alike on the screen. Nevertheless, I like to extend my invitation to you as well if ever in Good Old "Nu Joicy".
Regards,
Mario

Re: More Jobim "stuff" - 08/04/02 09:10 AM

Tony:
I am glad you know of Ruth Allen. I was extremely impressed with her talents. Not only as a Singer/pianist but as a composer.
My oH my! can she write lyrics? Probably the best stuff I've heard since Cole Porter, she's widely admire by the likes of Michael Finestein and one of her songs was selected as part of the sound track for the HOME BOX OFFICE TV movie "THE REAL HOWARD SPITZ" a charming and funny family film starring TV's "Frazier" :- KELSEY GRAMMER. Two of Ruth's recordings are featured in the film: "WHO NEEDS SPRING?" with lyrics by Ruth and music by her brother Alan Berry and "AT LAST I HAVE SOMEONE" with words and music by Ruth.
Also, "RING OUT THE BOW BELLS" - a good old-fashioned Cockney musical, entirely written by Ruth - is to be recorded on an album later this year, as a forerunner to putting the show on stage! Celebrity guest singers are being approached now to participate. You can hear two of the show's seventeen songs on her CD "THE RUTH ALLEN SONG BOOK". They are: "WOULD I STILL BE ME" and "YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD".
Her present boy friend is a friend of mine and he invited my wife and I to the Manasquan country club here in New Jersey to join them for dinner where we had the time to get to know her. We did a few numbers together there while at the bar. She was wonderful and extremely gracious.
Her wev site: http://www.ruth-allen.co.uk
Regards,
Mario