Got my speaker, Few Q's

Posted by: Pennywizz6

Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/10/05 03:49 PM

Hellos,

I got my speaker today and am pretty pleased with it. (The tweeter fell off from the horn and was rolling around the cab, kinda irritating, construction isnt amazing) I dont have my amp yet, so i just plugged it in from my mixer (L and R 1/4) it sounds alright im not that impressed, but i dont have an amp yet so its not gunna sound very good or loud yet. An amp will fix it right?

Thanks,

Phil
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/10/05 03:59 PM

I'm surprized that you got anything at all from it, that is unless you have a preamp/mixer that is also an amp as well.

Gary

Re: Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/10/05 04:18 PM

Yep i have a mixer with it, i was surprised also, pretty happy too cause i was eager to hear it, although it isnt loud. Im running it from comp, to mixer, to cab.

Im not hurting anything by doing so am i?

Phil

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 01-10-2005).]
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/10/05 05:16 PM

I doubt that it will hurt anything--just will not provide much volume or sound quality without the amp.

Gary

Re: Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/10/05 05:28 PM

Sweet, thanks Gary, you said exactly what I wanted to hear.

Phil

Re: Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/10/05 07:42 PM

The amp I wanted to get increased in price.... it is now 150 bucks!!! it was 70 the otherday. I contacted them and they wont budge. So right now im screwed, I cant find anything remotely close to what I need for under 70 dollars. I did however find smaller 120 watt models for cheap. Can I somehow combine them for 240 watts? If this possible?

Would a car amp work? I have a mixer so I dont need any volume controls ect. I need a different option soon!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/10/05 07:43 PM

What kind of speaker is this?

Re: Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/10/05 07:45 PM

sorry forgot to mention that, its a 300 wattfull rnage 12 inch with horn.

I found this, it ay only be 200 watt but its got an eq and it almost stealingly cheap. http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stor...TID=100&afsrc=1

Thanks,

Phil

Posted by: SYNTH_GUY

Re: Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/10/05 08:12 PM

Don't forget about the ohms? How many ohms is the speaker? Check the watts rating on the amp to your speakers ohms.

Re: Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/10/05 08:33 PM

I cant find the ohm rating, but its this speaker... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/609000/

This looks decent, http://www.buyreliant.com/caudio/906.htm I cant find much infor on it though...

Pretty much all I need is some way hook it in between my mixer and speaker to give it enough power to make it sound better and louder. Im a newb and dont know what to look for.

Thanks,

Phil

Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/11/05 03:55 AM

Phil,
That power booster is for car audio (12 volts) and won't help you out.
What kind of mixer do you have? Sounds like you'd be better served with a powered mixer. Less to carry, and faster hookup too.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/11/05 07:10 AM

Phil, Did you read the reviews from customers at the site you posted?

They were very negative..

I think you should upgrade from what you purchased...maybe you can return the speaker cabinet..
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/11/05 07:12 AM

Pennywiz..as I said, I bought 2 of these little guys for my grandson and then two more for back-ups for me. They handle 300 watts with no problem. We use them for outside DJ work. The cabinets are 8 ohm.

The suggestion to get a used PA head with integral mixer is good. I've seen small used 100-200 watt Peavy and Kustom heads for under $100.00 at some local music stores.

Maby someone on the forum has something that would work and be in your price range.

We're using the little Nady 160 watt 4-channel heads listed in the same page of Musicians Friend for back ups. They're $129.00 and seem to work fine.

Russ

Re: Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/11/05 01:39 PM

I have a behringer 8 channel mixer. And I love it! Id rather avoid bringing anything back, just for the fact shipping will be a fortune! Ive been looking at power amps and couldnt find anything thats cheap enough.

Russ, how do you like ur speakers?

Thanks,

Phil
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/11/05 02:07 PM

Phil...the build quality of the Nady cabinets is a little cheesy, but these little things will take the power! Last week-end, we used 4 of them at a car show with over 1000 attending. They did fine. We drove them with two 200 watt Carvin heads at 3/4 volume. At $69.00 (what I paid in November)
they compare favorably with $200.00 Carvins or $249.00 Yamahas.

I generally use my Carvin 12's or 15's just because I bought these Nady's for my grandson's band (they're 12 years old and AWFUL!). These cabinets and the little $129.00 head are great for that application. I then bought two more cabinets and an additional head for a back-up for me. Used that combination 3 times now when I was
alternating between two rooms in a hotel. They are fine for the price.

I think you've made a good choice for a cabinet, and I'd look at the head. If you were close by I 'd let you try it out!

Good luck,

Russ

Re: Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/11/05 03:58 PM

With the car amp, (http://www.buyreliant.com/caudio/906.htm) is it possible to run it through a trasformer or something from 120v to 12v? Would that particular product work with the inputs it has? I just need something, anything, for under a hundred bucks that is suitable.

Thanks,

Phil
Posted by: msutliff

Re: Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/11/05 04:58 PM

Hey Phil,

How about $99?

Click Here...

-mike

Re: Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/11/05 05:00 PM

Mike, thanks for the link, I think if nothing else pops up im going to have to get that one. It is 200 watts at 8 ohms though, will that be enough?

Phil
Posted by: msutliff

Re: Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/11/05 06:48 PM

Hey Phil,

Here's the link to your speaker's manual:

Click Here...

150 Watts RMS / 300 Watts Peak / 91.5 db @ 1W/1M

I would think a 200 Watt amp would be fine for light to moderate use. Of course, the numbers can't tell ya how it's gonna sound in the end. That's something you'll have to decide. I hope you find something that works for ya. I remember all the agonizing I went through with my first PA...Trying to find something that would work with only pennies to spend.

I noticed you're from Shakopee...I work at the U.

The Vikings are gonna "Shoot the Moon" in Philly!!

-mike

Re: Got my speaker, Few Q's - 01/11/05 06:55 PM

Thanks Mike! Go Vikings! Haha, I cant beleive they beat the Packers, I was shocked. So you work at the U of M I take it? Thats interesting, my brother is actually starting there on monday. Hes pretty nervous because hes only a junior, but im sure will get through it. What exactly do you do there?

I talked to somebody at the place where I was originally going to buy the pyle amp, and they claim they will match what it was the other day. I hope they do, that will be loads off my back, ill call them tomorrow!

Thanks for the help,

Phil