hey sk880

Posted by: zuki

hey sk880 - 11/01/02 10:43 AM

Saw a post for the sk880 on ebay for great price. What's your opinion on this product.
Thanks,
zuk
Posted by: lukitoh

Re: hey sk880 - 11/01/02 01:28 PM

Looks like this keyboard is AWESOME. I'm even more interested with the SK760 which is a lot lighter and has 76 keys. How about places to buy this thing that has good deals ? Even used ones will be good too.

Are the sounds fat and nice ?

Especially the piano, strings, bass, brass and woodwinds ?

Drum rythms solid and alive ?
Posted by: Starkeeper

Re: hey sk880 - 11/01/02 01:42 PM

Lukitoh,
Didn't you buy a Yammy PSR2000 or PSR1000? If so, you have serious GAS.
Starkeeper
Posted by: lukitoh

Re: hey sk880 - 11/01/02 02:04 PM

GAS ??

I returned the PSR1000. I also returned 3 other keyboards including a PA80 because I have serious reservations with each one of them. All in the span of 4 weeks or so.

I will get a CASIOI WK1800 and test drive it.

Cheap does not mean BAD in my book. I will not leave a stone unturned. Lets see how I do in a week or so.

Re: hey sk880 - 11/01/02 02:06 PM

It has real sliders not virtual sliders for the organ sounds. Can't find the price on the web. Anyone?
Starkeeper

Re: hey sk880 - 11/01/02 02:12 PM

Lukitoh,
Keep us in the loop with your opinions. SHop till you drop. "Cheap doesn't mean BAD"; I agree 100%. The Sk880/SK760 was released in December 1998. Might be some used ones around. They look real good.
Starkeeper

Re: hey sk880 - 11/01/02 02:24 PM

SK880 $2095.00 U.S.
SK760 $1799.00 U.S.
at www.8thstreet.com
These are arranger/synthesizers. You can edit the sounds!!!
Starkeeper
Posted by: DanO1

Re: hey sk880 - 11/01/02 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
SK880 $2095.00 U.S.
SK760 $1799.00 U.S.
at www.8thstreet.com
These are arranger/synthesizers. You can edit the sounds!!!
Starkeeper

You should be able to get these keyboards cheaper . I was selling SK880's 4 years ago ! dano
Posted by: sk880user

Re: hey sk880 - 11/01/02 06:26 PM

Hello,

Here is my honest opinion of sk880ps.

1) Price: I bought sk880ps with all options for about $3000. At that time, that was considered a remarkable price, truly unbeatable. Now you can get the same keyboard fully equipped (with harddrive), for less than $2000.

2) styles: very good. Some of the styles are remarkable especially those that were created later for WK8 and not adapted from WK4. Those "special" styles consists of some few select styles in 8beat, 16 beat and random others. Also the styles that were added in the flash banks. What's remarkable of the select 8-beat/ 16-beat styles are the strumming guitar. The sounds to make these strumming guitar are unique to Wk8/WK6/SK series. It is not found in WK4. Furthermore, these extra flash styles did not come or EVOLUTE from WK4. That is very important because if you take the same style from an older keyboard, you will lose something even if you RESEQUENCE, RESAMPLE or do whatever. And that is the problem with Wk8 and sk880 is that it takes SO MUCH from WK4. I heard them both and I cannot deny my ears.

Having said this about styles, in general the styles of WK8/sk series are old in comparison to the new ones. In particular, the fillings are not loud and dynamic enough. The lack of ballad styles is astounding, the concentration on funk/disco styles is not acceptable. So basically, it is time for new keyboard with new styles.

3) sounds:
good sounds:
a) Accordions: Nice and so many to choose from.
b) woodwindsb and pipes: nice
c) violins: nice
d) strings: very nice
e) organs: church organ is very nice according to church organist. She even played BACH on it.
f) SAX: Liscio sax is very nice

good sounds:
a) Piano sound: not acceptable
b) Solo Nylon Guitar: yamaha PSR740 beats it big time!!!
c) Sweet trumpet on Yamaha beats all trumpet sounds
e) there is no equivalent ot sweet flute.
f) synth sounds are not that good
g) drum kits can be better.

In general, the sounds of Sk880 needs updating big time. They are acceptable but need updating especially the piano sound.

4) Oriental styles and sounds: you can buy an optional oriental disks and 1/4 tone adapter and they are EXCELLENT. I do not like the sound of Mismar and cerainly the Kanoun can be better.

5) Sequencer: best in class

6) organization: best in class

7) user interface: best in class

8) use for live performance: best in class

9) weight: over 90 lbs VERY BAD

10) optional vocal harmonizer: not good

11) Strongly strongly recommend the 8megs of battery backed dram. That is a must upgrade.

In conclusion, it is very clear that Genesys is promising to be the best keyboard ever. Basically, it kept all the good points of wk/sk series. The Question is, does Genesys address the problem of outdated styles and less than desirable quality of sounds? One of these days, I will listen to Genesys. I never got the chance to listen to any of Ketron keyboards. We do not have George Kay nearby.
Posted by: zuki

Re: hey sk880 - 11/01/02 08:33 PM

sk880,
Thanks for that great overview of the 880. I would also love to hear the Genesys one day. The thought of creating to an included CD along with audio would be incredible. Perhaps someone can share their Genesys experience?
Zuk