Need some help from Jazz Keyboardists!

Posted by: Grubba99

Need some help from Jazz Keyboardists! - 11/22/03 03:57 PM

I rented a Korg pa-80 and have began playing a little jazz. i dont really know what i'm doing. here's the thing- for the soloing or improvisation or whatever you'd like to call it- what scales are good to use??? i'm familiar with the pentatonic, and the blues scales, but thats about it? are there any other scales which are good for soloing in?
Posted by: mango

Re: Need some help from Jazz Keyboardists! - 11/22/03 05:18 PM

Try the melodic minor scale . Based on the maj scale with o flat 3rd and nat 7th. Cool against minir 7ths and aug
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Need some help from Jazz Keyboardists! - 11/22/03 08:46 PM

I have a PA80 listed in the "For Sale" section. Can't help you with the scales though - you're on your own !
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: Need some help from Jazz Keyboardists! - 11/23/03 07:45 AM

Well I've been studying Jazz Piano for a year now and you are not going to learn jazz piano from a few tips from an arranger forum.

Do your talents justice and get a jazz piano teacher and learn the right way. There is so much to learn you will just get frustrated. Plus you invariably get incorrect information from people on forums like this.

For example in the prevous post, he makes reference to Fijian modes. Unless this is specific to the island of Fiji, I think he was referring to Phrygian mode which is simply the 3rd note of every major key. There are 7 modes in all. You would learn this and how to best employ it in your playing if you take lessons!!!!

Al

[This message has been edited by kbrkr (edited 11-23-2003).]

[This message has been edited by kbrkr (edited 11-23-2003).]
Posted by: Tomcat

Re: Need some help from Jazz Keyboardists! - 11/23/03 07:53 AM

Hi Grubba99,

I own a Pa80 and it will recognize some pretty sophisticated chords that are not documented in the manual. The Pa80 defaults to B2-C3 split point, although you can reset it anywhere you want. This means anything below middle C is chord recognition territory.

If you finger, in the octave just below middle C, CDE&A, you get a C69 chord and if you add the F to that, you get a Dm79 chord. If you drop down and play FGA&D you get an F69 chord and if you move up and play GAB&E you get a G69 chord but if you then add the C, you get an Am79 chord! So it doesn't always play what you might expect, but it will repeat those choices, so if you make up your own chart, or simply play around enough to learn them, then you can get good jazz chords for backing. As far as soloing goes, if you stay within the notes of the chords (mostly) then everything will sound OK.

BTW, as a note, Fijian is a mis-spelling of Phrygian, which is the scale you get when you play only white keys starting on E, and which sounds like a minor key.

Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better
Posted by: Tomcat

Re: Need some help from Jazz Keyboardists! - 11/23/03 07:55 AM

Ah, kbrkr, you beat me to it! LOL

Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better