I don't know anyone anymore... ;-(

Posted by: kbrkr

I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/06/05 04:47 AM

Is it just me, or are more and more people changing their ID's and are Junior Members? It seems I recognize their writing style and tone, but can't put my finger on who they are.

Has this become a masquerade party or something?
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/06/05 07:25 AM

I know what you mean. I suspect that some "members" got too wordy or mouthy, and decided to hide from their past, so they could have a second chance to fit in.
Personally - I don't like annonimity in such a casual, friendly setting. I think we all benifit from knowing as much as possible about the friends we make here.
If you're hiding something ...... it must be something big. Seems weird to me.
Posted by: royandreno

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/06/05 07:39 AM

Well, Scottyee is here, so is Uncle Dave, Nigel of course, BEBOP, Brickboo, Captain Russ, Alex K, Fran, Roel, DonM, DanO, Tony W, beachbum, GrahamUK, Don (Dnj), SemiLive, GlennT, Chico, Dreamer, KN Fan,The Accordionist, Vadim, Bill in Dayton, Zuki, To the Genesys, Squeak D, Lucitoh, just to mention a few. Sorry to those I didn't mention, I just went quickly down the posts, and I know these people well by now. You've been here as long and longer than I have, I don't see your point guys. The ones that are returning under a different name, so what. Still lot's of members here with a heritage . This is also not a nice message to send to newcomers to the forum. This forum is not for just a few of a big community. Be glad we get fresh blood in here! I bet Nigel can attest to that! Who talked about the best forum on the net? Low blow guys, shame on you...............

------------------
Roy-Andrč

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/06/05 09:48 AM

Roy,

I think you missed the point.

I welcome newcomers, it's the one's that have been here, interacted with us under one ID, then went and changed their ID. This is what puzzles me. Do you understand now?

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/06/05 09:59 AM

Yes I understood that in the first place, but how many is that? There's Synth-Guy, and then we had this bible maniac with a law degree or something , right nutcase!!
But apart from them, who else?
And does it really matter?

------------------
Roy-Andrč
Posted by: SYNTH_GUY

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/06/05 10:18 AM

Gentlemen, I assure you that the reasons some may change their username is not to hide their identity due to doing something wrong here in the past nor becuase they are a nut case (haheha). Some may change their name because of lack of respect or lack of responses when posting, for example, I posted "All time favorite arrangers" because I was interested in knowing everyones opinions since I never owned any besides the PA80. I only got 6 reponses. Fran posted "recapping our arranger list" and got 48 responses. Things like this make you say to yourself, what gives??? So, some may feel that they aren't part og the in crowd and try switching their name.

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/06/05 10:59 AM

First S-G, I never put you in the same category as the other guy I mentioned. You might even remember this guy!
Second, I agree wholeheartedly, because I had a couple of disputes with the establishment here as well, and had the same experience you are talking about. They treated me like air for a while.
If you didn't suck up to their opinion or close to, you would quickly be the laughing stock. I have spent many years in the US, so I know where some of this stems from. With that said, a lot of the establishment are great people!
That's why I'm not surprised a thread like this shows up. Many genuinly new people are coming to the forum and I think that's great. Makes it easier to be a newbie and get a response!

------------------
Roy-Andrč
Posted by: DonM

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/06/05 12:44 PM

I don't know anyone [1M7] anymore...
Things are just not like [4M7] before...
Are we too quick to [1M7] judge?
Do some of us bear a [4M7] grudge?
Perhaps this [1] all will make us better in the [6m] end,
As we [5-7] [or Boo chord] try to talk it out, friend to [1] friend.
DonM

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/06/05 12:45 PM

Now wasn't that silly?
DonM

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/06/05 01:03 PM

Great jazzy blues there Don,
tried it out on my Fender SRRI and Cornford Hurricane. Sounded fantastic with the lyrics.
I don't bear a grudge though, I just have a fantastic memory! (That smilie by the way is Scottyee's favourite!)

------------------
Roy-Andrč

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/06/05 01:11 PM

Thought music might lighten things up.
BTW, what's a Cornford Hurricane? A guitar?
DonM

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/06/05 01:22 PM

Cornford is an amp made by English amp builder Paul Cornford.

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/06/05 01:23 PM

Yeah, still OT, ok here I go
It's a guitar amp handbuilt, point to point wiring, made in the UK. It get's two thumbs up everywhere and has a superb overdrive tone. Smooth and stingy, but not harsh. I use it for my OD sound ŕla Santana or country honky tonk, very versatile. For my clean sound, nothing compares to Fender, I think. So as you can gather, I don't spend 20 minutes rigging........
My Tyros does my backing, built a lot of songs using the styles. The sing-a-longs, marches, polkas, and instruments that signifies songs, also is a Tyros job for me.

------------------
Roy-Andrč
Posted by: Tom Cavanaugh

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/06/05 01:58 PM

Roy and S-G, I do understand where you are coming from. It's not that your ideas might not agree with someone elses and it is NOT I repeat NOT that anyone except the nut cases are disliked. It really is about time, familiarity, friendships, and getting to know you. Some of us (self excluded) have been insulting each other for about five years. Hang in there and you will find most members to be friendly honest and helpful.

Don, you missed your calling. I can just hear you singing that song with a country twist. You really should have put something in there about pickup trucks, beer, booze, and loose women.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/06/05 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
Don, you missed your calling. I can just hear you singing that song with a country twist. You really should have put something in there about pickup trucks, beer, booze, and loose women.

Yep, I'll drink to that!

Gary
Posted by: trevorjohn

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/06/05 04:02 PM

Looooooooooose women!!! WHERE?

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/06/05 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SYNTH_GUY:
some may feel that they aren't part of the in crowd and try switching their name.

Try swithing your tone instead. It's not about names .... it's about the interaction and genuine desire to help. if you have that, then a little sarcasm can be tolerated. People often mistake my words for something else ....... you can't please everyone, so you try to get through as best you can.
One thing's for sure ..... this crowd is very responsive to honesty and selflessness. Name dropping and self horn blowing rarely gets you any Kudos on this forum. We're all about PEOPLE and MUSIC.
Sugar coat your style and it'll take you farther. Trust me.

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/06/05 10:30 PM

Uncle Dave, sugar coat??? So be fake to everyone just to please and fit in. Sorry, that's not my style. I shouldn't have to refrain from stating my honest opinion just to get on peoples A-list.

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/06/05 10:50 PM

This is a typical posting from you, UD.
Look who's talking, You haven't excactly been the most tactful on this forum, many here have felt your sarcasm at times. A little bit of humbleness would suit you. People have different ways of communicating, just accept that. I think many members, me included for a long while, refrain from posting because of your biting words. And now you're on a mission to smoke out returners. Well maybe you should take note of why people like S-G returns under other usernames, and think about the reason. I think you are one of them.

------------------
Roy-Andrč
Posted by: trident

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/07/05 01:35 AM

Personal opinion:
(Disclaimer: I can read and write English better than millions of Greeks over here, and maybe a few Americans as well but it is NOT my mother tongue, so, beforehand and to avoid confusion and flames, I declare that I am not writing things to criticize anyone, nor I am here to bestow wisdom upon people or teach manners. We are all adults here, responsible for our actions)

This is (I believe) the second time since I joined the forum that the flames went so high, the last one was with digitalvision?

From what I have gathered so far, in the forum, there is a certain "circle" of people that have come "closer" together and formed a so called "group".

I see the forum like a set of concentric circles. Some are on the first, some on the second, and so on, some are constantly jumping to and from the 2nd to 3rd and so on. This is not news, it is like a school, or little society thing.

Then of course, people that belong to a circle, are somehow "defending" their position and the position of their fellows in the same circle. That is also something to be expected.

Also, every one here happens to have a different character and different limits, likes and dislikes. Most of the guys here are well beyond my age (33), and naturally their "tolerance" to newbie nuisances, different opinions, or flat out rudeness is a little diminished, because of personal accomplishments and of course, age.

I have found that this forum is one of the best "communities" I had the pleasure to read or participate in in the net, and I am very happy to be a member of it. As I have stated in a post some months ago, this forum renewed my interest in playing, so I am doubly happy.

To the topic, and since this thing came to happen because of SynthGuy's comments on the Logitech speakers, and the reacion of some memebers here, I have to say that:

I didn't very much like SynthGuy's written comments. NOT his opinion, which he has a right to voice, (and was techically right)but the way he presented it.
One thing is to not approve of PC speakers used in a professional situation, and another to completely dismiss the experience of at least 5 people here who not only have used them, but also got paid for their performance with them, and they were so happy using them that they raised from the comforts of their sofas, and wrote the story for others to share. Nor calling people that have raised families playing arrangers "artists performing covers, as a second job" is the proper way to address musicians, regardless of anyones' life story or experience, or accomplishments.

On the other hand, some members here may be a little too thin skinned to maintain control, in such comments as the above. They probably have to employ the "read a second time before reply", or the "read a second time, down some cofee, blurt "so what" and then post" rule.

Why don't everyone take a tiny tiny little step back and look at the "situation" again?

I am perfectly happy lurking and posting from time to time, either to ask, or to voice my opinion, and generally I don't think I am disliked, if something like "dislike" exists in here.
I think others have the same feeling.

So guys, and girls, the beach is clear and the sun is hot. If we all be a little more careful on what we write, tsunamis will never visit this forum again. Surfs on the other side, can be much fun.

Good morning to you, (it is 11.24 am here)and thanks for the patience in reading my comments.

Theodore
Posted by: sunster

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/07/05 01:54 AM

Hi All!
Although my inputs on this forum are very miniscule, I would just like to say that I have learnt immensely just skimming through the various posts here. Also, I personally feel that one mustn't jump to conclusions by merely reading textual matter since it doesn't totally convey the writer's emotion at the time of typing and so we would tend to misjudge an opinion or statement. Particularly in the case of Uncle Dave whom I also had the good fortune of talking to a long time ago when I first bought my PSR-2100. (Remember Uncle Dave?) Just one or two sentences from him and you could feel his warmth and friendly nature. After talking to him, I never could find any bitterness or bite in any of his so called "Sarcastic Statements".
We often tend to assume things that aren't really there and that's OK 'cos we are ultimately human. We shoudn't make such a big fuss about small things. Kiss n make up in 2005. I think one of the most glorious years of my life...
HEY IM GETTING MARRIED TO MY CHILDHOOD SWEETHEART THIS YEAR. IT'S A DREAM COME TRUE YEAR
Lots of luv
Sunny

[This message has been edited by sunster (edited 01-07-2005).]

[This message has been edited by sunster (edited 01-07-2005).]

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/07/05 04:38 AM

Theodore,

Very well said!!!

Al

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/07/05 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SYNTH_GUY:
So be fake to everyone just to please and fit in.

I don't think you get it. "Fitting in" is something one earns. You give, you get ... it's really pretty simple. Lots of the members here have grown together through many experiences, life changes and career moves. We share these feelings with each other and we feel like we are more than just the sum of the parts of this forum.

From time to time, newcomers (or born-again members) pop in and try to tell us all what we've been missing..... as if we've been living (and posting) under a rock all these years, and just don't know anything about the real world. Well, my friend .... that's just not the case.

This forum has no "A" list.
There is no hierarchy,(except for our Skipper, Nigel !)
and most times, a simple apology is all that's needed to straighten out a misunderstanding. It's kinda like real life.
Sometimes words are harsh.
Sometimes feelings get hurt.
MOST times we all try to share the truth and go WAY out of our way to help each other.

Prom Queens and Quarterbacks aren't the most popular because of what they say ... it's what they DO that people respond to. Sometimes, we live vicariously through the accoplishments of others. It's a way to overcome shyness and learn some self esteem.
If we all had the same thoughts and beliefs, then this forum would be non existant. It is the PEOPLE that make it work, and the way to make people work is by treating each other well.

Sure, my direct approach ruffles feathers sometimes ..... that's unfortunate, but my intent is clearly to offer help. You don't have to agree .... you don't even have to READ my stuff.
One things certain ..... you'll get better responses if you try to offer help without a condesending attitude. Wanna "fit in" ?
Play nice and see how much farther it gets you.

You don't have to hide from us because of past postings. No one cares about what WAS.... at least I don't. If you contribute something valuable to the forum, then you'll be welcomed in with open arms, but if you attack my friends with an elitist attitude or a holier than thou approach ..... I'll be the first (of MANY) to stand in support of my friends.

The choice is yours. Play nice or go home.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 01-07-2005).]

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/07/05 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by royandreno:
maybe you should take note of why people like S-G returns under other usernames

That's crap and you know it. Someone with the conviction to back up their advice with facts ( as I do )would not have to "hide" when disagreements surface. I post from experience, as do many others. The only thing that really makes me crazy is when advice is given on something that the poster has NO experience with.
We can all "Google" to our heart's delight and post what we read, but PLEASE DON'T !
I know how to read. I want people's opinions and trials. I want to know and share the tricks of this trade.
I want a open, honest communication. Hiding your identity is neither open nor honest.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 01-07-2005).]

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/07/05 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:

Sure, my direct approach ruffles feathers sometimes ..... that's unfortunate, but my intent is clearly to offer help. You don't have to agree .... you don't even have to READ my stuff.
If you contribute something valuable to the forum, then you'll be welcomed in with open arms, but if you attack my friends with an elitist attitude and a holier than thou approach ..... I'll be the first (of MANY) to stand in support of my friends.

The choice is yours. Play nice or go home.

This attitude is just what I'm talking about, UD.
Who are you to set the rules?
'Play nice or go home', man you have an attitude!

------------------
Roy-Andrč

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/07/05 05:54 AM

Just giving good, solid, tested advice that has been passed down through the ages.
Works on the playground too. Don't you remember being a kid?

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/07/05 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Just giving good, solid, tested advice that has been passed down through the ages.
Works on the playground too. Don't you remember being a kid?

Yes I do , and don't get me wrong, I like your frank style! I like honest device and I don't worry too much about the wrapping as long as the content is correct and foundly based!

------------------
Roy-Andrč

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/07/05 06:22 AM

So, we're OK then?
(extends olive branch.....)

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/07/05 07:04 AM

Of course we are!
I'm off now, playing for 300 people tonight!
Looking forward to that, think I'm gonna leave my Logitechs at home and use my 2700W system instead!

------------------
Roy-Andrč

[This message has been edited by royandreno (edited 01-07-2005).]

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/07/05 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by trident:
Personal opinion:

I didn't very much like SynthGuy's written comments. NOT his opinion, which he has a right to voice, (and was techically right)but the way he presented it.
One thing is to not approve of PC speakers used in a professional situation, and another to completely dismiss the experience of at least 5 people here who not only have used them, but also got paid for their performance with them, and they were so happy using them that they raised from the comforts of their sofas, and wrote the story for others to share. Nor calling people that have raised families playing arrangers "artists performing covers, as a second job" is the proper way to address musicians, regardless of anyones' life story or experience, or accomplishments.

Theodore

Very well written and thought out. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Everyone needs to go back and re-read my posts. I never said half the things everyone is claiming. Example: "artists performing covers, as a second job", I NEVER SAID THAT. Someone else did. In fact I have not attacked anyone directly. If you read my responses regarding the Logitech you'll see that on every reply I stated that it was my opinion based on my experiences as a musician that has used all types of gear over the years.
Posted by: renig

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/07/05 09:36 AM

How right you are S-G. Anyway, another enjoyable p****** contest, been a couple here lately.

Hey, and wasn't it only a few days ago we were all leading the crowd with 'Auld Lang Syne'?
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/07/05 12:36 PM

Folks, I hope you'll allow an observation from the old "Communications Professor".

We're in a very competitive business. If we were all in the same town, we'd be competing against each other. To succeed in this business each of us has to be confident, competent and act on our beliefs.

Sometimes that competitive nature puts a hard edge on written communications.

Confidence sometines is interpreted as cockiness, and, at least on this forum, I firmly believe that is simply a product
of the communications channel, and not necessarily a reflection of reality.

We rely on others and value the interperonal relationships or we wouldn't be here.

And, a little attitude sometimes keeps the blood flowing.

To avoid hurt feelings and resentment, we just need to consider the impact as well as the content of our communication.

Best personal regards to ALL of you!

Russ

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/07/05 06:37 PM

Wise words captain!

------------------
Roy-Andrč
Posted by: jamman

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/08/05 12:21 AM

Realworld 'hands on ' experience with particular arranger/+ related gear(eg.PA) and day/night gig
reports make this forum fresh.the best arranger forum in English.

some of the new comers (not specific
to SG ),can have the attitute if they have the experience with particular gear for resonable time.then the other side can't do much.

I've seen UD and Scott Yee fight and most of the time, Scott will beat UD with his polite and effective words(also the experience for the particular thing too).it's just an example.
UD in other hand will give you good advice (according to his experience)to anybody(new or old)when ever a question is asked .like UD, Gary will bring up with good psr 2k,3k how to info, how to loose 40lbs in a month ,how to make cost effective stands for logitech,Scott(yee) will bring interesting OT subjects like(what if---happens?),fran(will fight /or pretend to fight and say "Roland is the best"-"exr5 beats pa1x,tyros" ,others Don M,,DNJ,the pro,etc who are regulars here and post almost everyday.so most of the visitors know them (Another reason they have "WEB SITES")even if they like thier music or not."WEB SITES".yes,at least people don't feel bad about their credibility of their posts.

I love all forum members.

Old members here can give you good advice on one man band/arranger relative experiences(gear,sources of free files,some PA,audience responces etc) playing western music(esply people who are doing same thing for long).(eg-tyros,em2000,VAs,g1000,most yams,9k,2k,2100,3k for now_).
if you want more about ketron,solton,korgs and (also rolands) it's better to check EU (including UK)arranger or even better mid east arranger forums(since arragers are THE bands in most areas than US.We still have band thing going here in most live bars compared to EU and mid east).

this is the best arranger forum yet.No BS like goggle/yahoo search,copy ,paste advices/reviews like Harmony Central(most forums) or alikes.

again this is the arranger forum(and the only active and solid one in english with good postings).not the piano or synth forum(though we discuss about them too).so if people don't feel that the advice here is not enough for band music with your Moog ,you should be looking somewhere else.
also having session pro experience in (eg.a ska/punk rock band like No doubt-though they may sell in millions)for 5 years or so will get less relative respect than a classic piano player in an orchestra or ,Chick Corea's or Frank Gamble's main man according to music that most of the members make-jazz or standards.Sad but true music catagory does matter in long term.Degree of professionalism(and what is "a real pro" question- according to non musicians and musicians will be always different.

so my word for synth guy or all new/re comers "stay and contribute".

who ever play an arranger will be addicted to this forum.

peace.
Posted by: to the genesys

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/08/05 05:26 AM

One thing we all need to keep in mind when we see a junior member is that a new post by such a member does not mean that that person is new to music, performance, “arranger” keyboards, and other equipment or gigging. It does not even mean that that person is new to the forum culture. They could have been lurking around this forum for years.

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/09/05 03:12 PM

test

Re: I don't know anyone anymore... ;-( - 01/09/05 03:24 PM

Al, thanks
SG, Thanks for reading and replying. If I was wrong, I owe you one for not reading properly. My apologies.