I download new Norton , but I'm still getting a message and....

Posted by: DanO1

I download new Norton , but I'm still getting a message and.... - 08/31/03 07:59 AM

I'm still getting hit with bulk emails .

I purchased an upgrade yesterday and did a live download, but I'm still getting bulk emails .

any suggestions ?
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: I download new Norton , but I'm still getting a message and.... - 08/31/03 10:37 AM

Dan,
the reason you're still getting junk mail is becuase of your ISP--it has nothing to do with Norton Anti-Virus. Your ISP sold you down the tubes, just like most ISP's do. In order to help eliminate the junk, you'll have to filter your email and block the senders of junk mail.

Good Luck,

Gary
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: I download new Norton , but I'm still getting a message and.... - 08/31/03 11:27 AM

Gary above is correct. As an example this is the way I do.
1. I setup Email Outlook Express account for all my friends. I don't use this for general web use.
2. I setup Email Hotmail.com account which I use for general web purposes. In options I setup a Safe List. (list emails you want to let through) Then setup Junk mail to delete everything not on my Safe List.

I no longer receive any junk emails.

Graham UK

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 08-31-2003).]
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: I download new Norton , but I'm still getting a message and.... - 08/31/03 12:08 PM

There is a very good program to deal with
such junkmails.
MailWasher is a goodie if you don't want
that kind of stuff into your PC www.firetrust.com
Regards
GJ
Posted by: DanO1

Re: I download new Norton , but I'm still getting a message and.... - 09/01/03 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunnar Jonny:
There is a very good program to deal with
such junkmails.
MailWasher is a goodie if you don't want
that kind of stuff into your PC www.firetrust.com
Regards
GJ

I understand , but today I had 103 junk mails , all with the same message !

This has got to be a worm
Posted by: DonM

Re: I download new Norton , but I'm still getting a message and.... - 09/01/03 09:50 AM

I'm getting 20 or so emails a day containing the Sobig virus.
DonM
Posted by: Dnj

Re: I download new Norton , but I'm still getting a message and.... - 09/01/03 02:08 PM

They caught the teenager responsible for the sobig virus also.
Posted by: DonM

Re: I download new Norton , but I'm still getting a message and.... - 09/01/03 03:51 PM

He was only responsible for a small variant of it. His variant only affected about 7000 computers.
DonM
Posted by: MacAllcock

Re: I download new Norton , but I'm still getting a message and.... - 09/03/03 12:52 AM

If you are still getting hit by junk you can configure Outlook Express to send any mails recieved from specified addresses directly to your deleted folder. In Outlook Express 6 you can use "Message - Block Sender" to add a specific address to the "Blocked Sites" lisy and then this list can be managed using "Message Rules". If you remove the "sid.vicious@" from a blocked address then the site gets blocked.

So the mail still clogs up the machine but at least you don't have to read it before deleting it!