Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use?

Posted by: Dnj

Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 07/29/03 12:53 PM

I sit sometimes, but mostly stand on big shows. I have a Axman Bench type and a Quik Lok Drummer throne type seat but I hate them both for long gigs. Im either sliding off or my cheeks are falling asleep!!!
What are you using, make, model, etc.. good or bad?
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 07/29/03 01:35 PM

Donny...
It's NOT the seat or throne. It happens when you turn 51. Everything starts falling asleep.
Eddie
Posted by: squeak_D

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 07/29/03 02:27 PM

I used to use a drum throne myself, but now with my current set up at home I stand considering I also stand to play my electric guitar. I just raised my 2 tier keyboard stand to my standing level.... Also I am considerably younger than most on the forum too..

Squeak
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 07/29/03 04:36 PM

Donny,

I use a motorcycle drum throne like this one: http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=83758

I find I can sit for hours without fatique either on the drums or on keyboards.

Al

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 07/29/03 09:11 PM

I have this one ...I used it twice. Very strong buy unconfortable for me. Anyone interesed in it, I'll give ya a great price. Model D-740
http://www.quiklok.com/

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-29-2003).]
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 07/29/03 09:48 PM

Donny: I use an inexpensive lightweight (under 5 lb) black adjustable height metal stool with padded seat which I purchased at a local discount art supply store (Amsterdam Art) for around $18. When playing the kb, I spend 1/2 the time actually sitting squarely on the padded seat, yet spend the other half the time in more of a standing position, utilizing the stool to lean against primarily for support, especially when operating the foot pedals with both my left & right feet (sometimes concurrently). The stool is plenty durable, especially at such a cheap price, and I don't ever have to worry about it getting knocked about on stage or hesistate to call upon it to fly into the audience to tame the raucous crowds, just kidding . The stool I use is shown here:
http://shop.5click.com/amsterdamart/product.cfm?ProductID=177

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 07-29-2003).]
Posted by: Vquestor

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 07/29/03 09:50 PM

No matter what seat you use, it is a good
idea to add one of those doughnut cushions
to prevent hemmoroids.
Posted by: deb

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 07/30/03 09:10 AM

My chair is hanging on the ceiling.
Posted by: dlstarry

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 07/30/03 11:43 AM

I use a motorcycle drum throne like Al only
with a backrest.
Denny
Posted by: Idatrod

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 07/30/03 12:59 PM

You people are a riot. Keep that wit and whim a flowin'.

On a more serious note.... I use an "On Stage" bench seat called the Extreme 1200. It is very and I repeat very comfortable to me. It is height adjustable by way of several slots on the underneath of the bench on both ends.

I used to use it when gigging but I decided one night to 'stand up' using just my "On Stage" Keyboard Stand adjusted accordingly and my fellow members said it looked so much better and more appropriate that now I always stand during a performance. They've even got me center stage though I'm tucked back a bit still. Which is fine with me btw.

I am now using my "On Stage" piano bench for Studio work exclusively.

But if you're looking for a real comfortable piano Bench that has plenty of room for your derriere-(posterior), backside-, you know plus room so you can scoot left and right when you need to adjust for playing the upper and lower registers then I would highly recommend the Extreme 1200.

PS: Donny, I've sat on that Extreme 1200 for up to 4 hours at a time and I have never felt uncomfortable nor has my posterior ever started to ache or hurt.

Lunch break is over gotta run!

Best regards,
Mike

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 07/30/03 02:11 PM

Scott,

No way could I use that seat..too high, non adjustable, no padding....

Idrod,

I have one just like that Extreme 2000, it collapsed on stage once, I went right on my butt, got it welded and still although not bad, less then perfect.

This model Quik lok is what I was thinking of .....gary ordered one and is waiting for it to see if it does the job for him.....then I can see if it will do it for me also....if not I'll keep searching.
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 07/30/03 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Scott,
No way could I use that seat..too high, non adjustable, no padding....

The bar type stool I use in fact is adjustable to 3 different (18", 23" or 28") heights and the seat believe it or not, 'IS' padded. I'm first to admit that it isn't going to be as comfy as the others mentioned, but it's a LOT lighter (5 lbs vs 15 lbs) and a whole lot cheaper ($18 vs $80) than the Quiklok D-739: http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?form=prodsearch&q=D-739

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 07/30/03 02:53 PM

I would like to get a custom personal "Derrier molded" super cushioned seat...but I guess thats a big wish eh?
Posted by: DonM

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 07/30/03 04:03 PM

I use an adjustable "draftsman"-type chair I bought at Office Depot. It has wheels and I can use if for a dolly if I want.
DonM

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 07/30/03 04:22 PM

hey Don...

Which One is it?

http://www.officedepot.com/ddMain.do?level=SC&id=803017&location_info=SG_2_CT_803_SC_803017
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 07/30/03 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I would like to get a custom personal "Derrier molded" super cushioned seat

Well, I AIN'T gonna mold it !

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 07/30/03 08:50 PM

Donny, I don't see it on the website. I've had it for about 10 years so probably they don't have the exact one. Some of the ones pictured look similar. It has a fairly high back, pneumatic height adjustment and rollers. It was around $150., and worth every penny.
DonM

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 07/31/03 04:12 AM

Don,

which one is the closest one to yours...
they all look comfortable...my concern as always is transporting daily it and convenience.

post a pic of the seat if you can..

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 07/31/03 07:19 AM

I'll try to make a photo today. Best way is to go try them out.
Don
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 08/01/03 02:21 AM

When I sit, I use this one:
http://www.quiklok.com/search_list.taf?_function=detail&Layout_0_uid1=33263

But I actually stand most of the time.

-- José.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Sit When you play? What Type of Seat do you use? - 08/04/03 08:08 AM

When playing/working/gigging out I usually stand..... sometimes I will see if there is a bar stool I can use mostly just to sort of 'rest' on while playing.... At home I use a stool similar to Al's, but with the round seat, not the bike .... I do like the idea of the bike type though... perhaps I can just change the seat.....
t.