With or without?

Posted by: B2

With or without? - 02/15/02 05:12 AM

OK Synthzonians.....here is a question for all of you..I saw in an earlier post regarding speakers where Uncle Dave mentioned the Mackie actives (450's) had a tendancy to overheat. The bigger question is ....are there definate advantages to owning speakers with built in amps (powered). I'm talking technology, not logistical issues (IE, I know it's more to lug equipment when they're separate etc....)With the new lightweight amps (21 lbs and less) which put out 1000+ watts (8 ohms) why go powered speakers? Do they all tend to overheat? I am considering the Mackie 300's (unpowered version of the 450). I have asked people in the stores up here, but I know that I'll get a better understanding by speaking with all of you. I'm looking at venues of 100-700 people (weddings / corporate parties / no bar gigs / large churches / wedding and banquet halls etc. I am confident after hearing the Mackies in person that they are plenty for me, but this amp issue is perplexing. If it comes down to preference, that's OK. But if there is a particular caution I should be aware of, I'd like to know it pre-purchase. Thanks Brian
Posted by: DonM

Re: With or without? - 02/15/02 07:50 AM

To me the main advantage of the powered speakers was the built-in bi-amping. I had JBL Eons, and as the others do, they had seperate amps for the highs and lows. Very efficient and light weight.
I began playing in some situations where monitering was very important, and rather than purchase powered monitors, I went back to using unpowered speakers and merely plugging unpowered Hot Spot monitors into the back of the mains.
I think the powered speakers sound better overall, unless you do bi-amp the unpowered ones. This calls for an extra power amp if you want to run stereo. I always run stereo, mostly for my own enjoyment!
DonM
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: With or without? - 02/15/02 07:56 AM

I do agree with Don!