As soon as someone gets a tyros 2....please show me some country styles.

Posted by: FAEbGBD

As soon as someone gets a tyros 2....please show me some country styles. - 10/09/05 12:03 PM

I've heard about all the Spanish guitar and trumpet shakes and Hammond Drawbars I need to hear. I want to know if Tyros2 does country music justice. Or bluegrass. I've heard enough hoky styles where the overall feel sounds like programmers enjoy making fun of country music rather than creating good styles. I'd love to hear a country texas shuffle, or a more modern Toby Keith or Faith Hill kind of style. Western swing? Any and all. How about Cajun country. Can tyros 2 do on a fiddle or pedal steel what it can do on a tenor sax? That's what I want to know.
Thanks.
Posted by: Eric, B

Re: As soon as someone gets a tyros 2....please show me some country styles. - 10/09/05 12:38 PM

Hi,

click on this link, go to media clips and listen to #16 modern Country with a nice pedal steel guitar and enjoy
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%253D62119%2526CTID%253D205500,00.html

Eric

Re: As soon as someone gets a tyros 2....please show me some country styles. - 10/09/05 02:20 PM

That one I'd heard. Not bad. By the end of it though they were back to showcasing the brass, strings, and that ending even had a piccolo in it. When was the last time you ever heard a piccolo or flute in country music? The beginning of the demo sounded like Eric Clapton "change the world" or something, which isn't exactly country either. I must say though that I did enjoy the middle of it.
I'd still like to hear more of the country side of Tyros 2.
Posted by: GlennT

Re: As soon as someone gets a tyros 2....please show me some country styles. - 10/09/05 07:49 PM

Pretty good sounding pedal steel, IMO.

Glenn
Posted by: J. Larry

Re: As soon as someone gets a tyros 2....please show me some country styles. - 10/10/05 11:43 AM

I agree totally with the issues raised in this post. Maybe the style programmers need to spend some time in Texas, Nashville, or wherever in order soak-up the nuances of western swing and the various country styles that some of us love to play.
Posted by: adimatis

Re: As soon as someone gets a tyros 2....please show me some country styles. - 10/11/05 01:00 AM

i'd go even further. do you know where can i download some (good) country styles, not necessary the newest, but decent.
can you post some links to that? tnx
by the way, i have a korg pa50

[This message has been edited by adimatis (edited 10-11-2005).]
Posted by: ViLo

Re: As soon as someone gets a tyros 2....please show me some country styles. - 10/12/05 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J. Larry:
I agree totally with the issues raised in this post. Maybe the style programmers need to spend some time in Texas, Nashville, or wherever in order soak-up the nuances of western swing and the various country styles that some of us love to play.

They need to go to Mexico too!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Precision Mastering
http://vilo4.tripod.com/precisionmastering/

Master Your CD With Us!
Ask Me About it!
www.vicente-lopez.com

HE'S COMING, MAKE MUSIC, GET READY! smile

Re: As soon as someone gets a tyros 2....please show me some country styles. - 12/15/05 05:18 PM

Here is an example of what I think could be possible on an arranger. I did it using my Roland Fantom X, which is not an arranger, but all arrangers do is play sequences. It is only a 35 second little ditty. I have the world expansion board and it has all these fiddles and pedal steel and telecasters. I've used some of these sounds before in tracks I've made in conjunction with real instruments, but I wanted to see how well i could do using only the Fantom. I threw it together in about an hour and a half and didn't quantize or anything, so it's a bit rough in places. Mostly I was trying to figure out pedal steel and fiddle techniques, as well as acoustic guitar strumming. A little texas shuffle.

Country Shuffle
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: As soon as someone gets a tyros 2....please show me some country styles. - 12/15/05 05:34 PM

Very NICE, especially the keyboard emulation(?) of pedal steel playing . . . Wow! As far as super articulation pedal steel voice on the Tyros2, yes it's allows you to use the pitch bend wheel to trigger bending only the lowest note in a chord, to more accurately authenticate the sound of real pedal steel guitar playing. Works especially well on ballads. Though I've got absolutely no experience playing a pedal steel, I may work up the courage to share a tune on the Tyros2 utilizing pedal steel guitar. Hey, it's been my lifelong (closeted) dream to learn to play the pedal steel and work in a Country band. With the Tyros2, I guess I might be able to at least half fullfill that fantasy. FAEbGBD, thanks in advance for sharing any tips you might offer on pedal steel playing on the keyboard. - Scott
Posted by: DonM

Re: As soon as someone gets a tyros 2....please show me some country styles. - 12/15/05 09:56 PM

Download some Ketron country styles. They are really good. Also, the SD1 Pedal Steel can bend one note out of three. Since the other guys are almost catching up, maybe it's time for an SD2!!!
I do plan to go audition a T2 after the New Year, but from what I've heard and read I probably won't change now.
Got a little of topic, but I do play a lot of CW and haven't found anything to compare with the Ketron CW styles.
DonM

Re: As soon as someone gets a tyros 2....please show me some country styles. - 12/15/05 10:12 PM

Don, have you any demos of you doing country with the Ketron? I'd like to hear the styles and the pedal steel that can bend 1 note out of 3. I'd be interested to hear if they have styles that capture that swingy shuffle like in the throw-together demo I did.

Re: As soon as someone gets a tyros 2....please show me some country styles. - 12/15/05 10:15 PM

I will post some demos in the next day or so.
Don

Re: As soon as someone gets a tyros 2....please show me some country styles. - 12/15/05 10:21 PM

Rory, by the way, I LOVE your version of I'll Fly Away! You are quite a talent my friend.
DonM
Posted by: Craig_UK

Re: As soon as someone gets a tyros 2....please show me some country styles. - 12/16/05 04:23 AM

Owning both the SD1 and Tyros 2 I can easily say that for country music the Tyros 2 is far better than the SD1.

Re: As soon as someone gets a tyros 2....please show me some country styles. - 12/16/05 06:40 AM

Well now isn't that just great. LOL. Anyone else want to vote for the G70?

Re: As soon as someone gets a tyros 2....please show me some country styles. - 12/17/05 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Very NICE, especially the keyboard emulation(?) of pedal steel playing . . . Wow! As far as super articulation pedal steel voice on the Tyros2, yes it's allows you to use the pitch bend wheel to trigger bending only the lowest note in a chord, to more accurately authenticate the sound of real pedal steel guitar playing. Works especially well on ballads. Though I've got absolutely no experience playing a pedal steel, I may work up the courage to share a tune on the Tyros2 utilizing pedal steel guitar. Hey, it's been my lifelong (closeted) dream to learn to play the pedal steel and work in a Country band. With the Tyros2, I guess I might be able to at least half fullfill that fantasy. FAEbGBD, thanks in advance for sharing any tips you might offer on pedal steel playing on the keyboard. - Scott

Well, don't know how much help i can be about playing pedal steel live on keyboard, but here are my sequencing tips and observations, a reposting of a reply I made at the Fantomized site.

"Rollinsmth, you're pretty dead on with your guess. I actually used 2 tracks for pedal steel. Then used the pitchbend stick on the keyboard to bend one note
and leave another, or bend 1 note a half step and another note a full step, etc. A few things are crucial.
1. Think like a steel player; know what licks are legitimate and what licks a real steel player wouldn't play.
2. Get to where you can judge distance on the pitchbend really well in both directions so you can bend up or down a half step accurately.
3. Syncronize your mind. When 2 notes are bending at once, you've got to try to match the bend timing as closely as possible so that it sounds like 1 fluid
movement and not disjointed like it was actually played on 2 tracks, even though it was.
4. Tight editing. There are times when you've only got a split second to get your pitchbender back at 0 in order to start the next bend. It might be easier
to set up 3 tracks so you have another track to do the weird stuff that will come up, but I didn't.
I'm also going to experiment with setting up a control expression pedal on pitch, so I can do larger slides, like a fifth or so. I need to figure out whether
the samples start sounding really artificial if you try to bend them that far. As it is now I have to think of licks that don't bend more than 2 holesteps
per line as that is all the flexibility I have on the pitchbend. I'm also going to use the expression pedal for volume and see how I can do on some nice
swells like in a ballad situation. Should be interesting."