digital pianos, polyphony, etc...

Posted by: quest4piano

digital pianos, polyphony, etc... - 06/14/00 09:26 PM

I'm trying to decide on a digital home piano and can't find any forums that discuss these much. I'm considering Kurzweil's
Mark 12, Yamaha's CVP 103, or Roland's KR 375. Anyone have advice on which of these have the least repairs, and the best piano sound and feel? Does anyone understand why Kurzweil's has 32 polyphony instead of 64 like Roland's and Yamaha's?
Posted by: sk880user

Re: digital pianos, polyphony, etc... - 06/15/00 09:11 AM

Hello,

I have tried Yamaha Clavinova and found it to be very realistic and very beautiful. One of these days I may be tempted to buy one *smile*
Posted by: gilazar

Re: digital pianos, polyphony, etc... - 06/20/00 11:24 PM

I just ordered the new Korg Ci-9600. I haven't played with it but going by the description, and having played other Korg stuff, I know that it is good enough that I won't be disappointed. I've played with Technics and the Roland KR line. I didn't like to quality of the Roland cabiner. I liked the technics looks and the piano and feel were reasonable but the price was high. The yamaha stuff is just way too expensive for me but they are probably the tops.

The Korg price was reasonable at $3000, compared to the yamaha, technics or roland that goes for a lot more. It has graded hammer piano feel that truly simulates a real piano action. Cabinetry has solid woods side and looks close to an upright.

let me know what you decide on.
Posted by: DonM

Re: digital pianos, polyphony, etc... - 06/21/00 08:12 AM

Yamaha Clavinovas first came out back in the 80's. The music store where I hang out has sold many hundreds of them and digital pianos. Not one single problem has been reported that wasn't caused by some extraordinary event such as spilling liquid into them. Maybe the other brands are this good too???
I've always leaned toward Yamaha gear because it sounds good, and it works every time you turn it on. That's worth a few extra $$$.
Don
Posted by: quest4piano

Re: digital pianos, polyphony, etc... - 06/21/00 07:39 PM

Thanks for all the input. I've decided to go with a Kurzweil Mark 12 because I'm sold on its sound and feel, plus I can get a new one on sale for $ 3800.
Posted by: George Kaye

Re: digital pianos, polyphony, etc... - 06/21/00 10:47 PM

The Mark 10 and 12 came out approx 6 years ago. The reason you see 32 note polyphony is because this is what was available 6 years ago. We were just getting in 64 notes soon after. Be careful with this product because if you love playing piano with strings layered, you will be very disapointed when you start running out notes and notes start to disapear. Yes, the Kurzweil piano sounds good but so does the rest of them. I also disiked how many functions were on different piano keys to make things happen. This gets very confusing. I stopped selling these about 3 years ago when other products started to appear with newer features.
George Kaye
Posted by: BrianUK

Re: digital pianos, polyphony, etc... - 06/22/00 01:38 PM

Buy Yamaha's P80. It's rather good.