Will Bose 201 Series III speakers work with Logitech z5500

Posted by: Scott Langholff

Will Bose 201 Series III speakers work with Logitech z5500 - 06/28/06 08:58 PM

OK, I've got new toy-itis like everybody else. I saw these Bose speakers in a second had shop today. I'm wondering if these would work ok with the z5500 sub. They are 8 ohms and it appears they are 60 watts each.

Here is a link to an ebay add that shows the exact ones I've seen. They want $20 apiece for them.

What do you expert techies think about this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSE-201-SERIES-III-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Scott

Re: Will Bose 201 Series III speakers work with Logitech z5500 - 06/28/06 09:03 PM

I wonder if these would fill in the mid range better for my liking?
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Will Bose 201 Series III speakers work with Logitech z5500 - 06/29/06 04:51 AM

Scott,

Larger speakers, Bose or any other brand, should provide you with improved mid range sounds. Keep in mind that most of the mid range sounds on the Z-5500 come from the center speaker, therefore, a single 8-ohm speaker with a larger cone should suffice.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Will Bose 201 Series III speakers work with Logitech z5500 - 06/29/06 04:54 AM

Scott are you going to try the 5500 sub with only two speakers? any small powered sub will do the same...... like the Roland KCW1 . http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=557&ParentId=33
or go for the gusto ..... http://www.abluesky.com/p_s_gb/p3s1.html

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-29-2006).]

Re: Will Bose 201 Series III speakers work with Logitech z5500 - 06/29/06 09:38 PM

Hi Donny

I bet those subs sound good, but honestly my arms are long enough as it is
Posted by: RobertG

Re: Will Bose 201 Series III speakers work with Logitech z5500 - 06/30/06 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Scott,

Larger speakers, Bose or any other brand, should provide you with improved mid range sounds. Keep in mind that most of the mid range sounds on the Z-5500 come from the center speaker, therefore, a single 8-ohm speaker with a larger cone should suffice.

Good Luck,

Gary

Gary: In the theme of keeping it all transportable, what do you think about replacing all five speakers with Bose 161s? What about just the two fronts and the center channel. I see used ones on eBay all the time. They usually sell for $80-$90 for a pair. New for $140.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Will Bose 201 Series III speakers work with Logitech z5500 - 06/30/06 05:24 AM

I am in the process of just replacing the center speaker with an Optimus (Radio Shack) 3-speaker enclosure that was given to me by a friend. Initial testing sounded great and really provided lots of depth to the mid range sounds. The enclosure is fairly lightweight and sturdy. I looking to possibly mount the front and rear speakers on this cabinet and placing the single unit on one of my heavy-duty mic stand poles. When it's done I'll post photos and test results.

As for replacing all 5 speakers, one of the PSR-tutorial members did this some time ago and reported excellent results.

Good luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy