sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick!

Posted by: Zack

sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/02/02 11:10 AM

yo ppl. i was trying out some of the voices, and i very much dislike the sweet trumpet and flute. the trumpet has this sickly timbre to it, and the flute has that really harsh attack. i was wondering if any of you have had similiar experiences. thanks. Zack
Posted by: DonM

Re: sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/02/02 11:39 AM

Zack, I like the Sweet Trumpet, but it's one of the voices that are better on the 9000 because of the aftertouch. On the 2000, they have to program more if the parameters into the voice. It is better to control them with aftertouch.
Same is true with the flute and Growl Sax.
On the Growl Sax there are certain notes that when played activate the growl. On the 8K, 9K, Pro, the aftertouch totally controls the effect.
Don

Re: sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/02/02 11:43 AM

the 1k doesnt have aftertouch. what is it? and ive found that a lot of the presets are far more realistic than the sweet things. although i do like the cool electric guitar. Z

Re: sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/02/02 11:45 AM

oh, and whats more, i noticed that when i had the touch sensitivity turned off, the grand piano sounds much worse than when its turned on. when its on, the piano is very very good. but when its off, it sounds more harsh, less, um, pianoish. more like a xylophone. anyone know why that is?? thanks. Zack
Posted by: squeak_D

Re: sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/02/02 12:31 PM

Zack,
sorry you don't like the sweet trumpet and sweet flute.. I personally think that both sound great, and yes as stated they sound better on the higher end models due to more memory. I don't think the chiff on the sweet flute is harsh at all. That's exactly what a chiff really is.. On a flute you get this by overblowing thus the sound jumps an octave. It takes some getting used to.. It's possible that the velocity curve on the PSR-1000's sweet flute might be set differntly too. On my PSR-550 I found that you can adjust the velocity curve just by adjusting the touch sensitivity. I wish Yamaha would add this feature to the PSR-1000/2000. Being able to adjust velocity curves within voices will not only make it easier on the player, but will also make those flimsy keys and keybeds last a little longer. The sweet trumpet really isn't bad IMO. I've heard MUCH worse on more expensive boards. I spent $1,399.00 on a Roland XP-60 and the trumpet in that board didn't even come close to the sweet voice on the Yamaha. Even my old Yamaha EX-7 didn't have as nice a trumpet, and both these keyboards were fully loaded professional synths...

Squeak

Re: sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/02/02 12:33 PM

You can easily adjust the velocity setting on the 2K. I have it set very light. Maybe that's why I have't broken it yet.
Don

Re: sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/02/02 12:36 PM

whats velocity setting?
Posted by: George Kaye

Re: sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/02/02 12:36 PM

the reason you don't like the piano when on fixed velocity is because when the velocity is on you are hearing the filters open and close with different levels of touch. When you turn this off, the filter are wide open at their brightest. This would not be a desirable way to play your PSR1000, or any other piano in any of the newer keyboards. Back some time ago, only the volume changed when you used velocity, but today, the tone and dynamics of harmonics are affected with touch sensitivity. That why so many electric pianos sound so much better today.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

Re: sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/02/02 12:39 PM

got it. and now i get what velocity is. thats very cool. wouldnt it be smart to offer an option that you could change what exactly is affected by the touch? thanks for the reply. i guess from now on i'll be playing with touch on! :-) Zack

Re: sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/02/02 12:49 PM

You can change what's affected by aftertouch, but not initial touch.
Don
Posted by: squeak_D

Re: sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/02/02 12:52 PM

Don,
Does the PSR-2000 have a setting where you can adjust the velocity curve setting within the voices? I was told this wasn't a part of the voice editing features.. I understand you can adjust velocity (meaning initial key velocity), but I was not aware you could adjust the velocity curve...

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 08-02-2002).]
Posted by: rgtaa

Re: sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/02/02 12:54 PM

Zack!
I made that mistake last month ... I turned on the psr9000 and was playing a song with SAX in it! It sounded Weird! I thought I had broken the instrument!
I turned it on and off and then back on ...and still sounded Weird! Horrible!

Then I noticed one of the Wheels on the far Right of the board was set all the way up...giving lots of vibrito ... turned it down ...and SAX and Trumpet sounded great again!

Now I check when I turn the prs9000 on ...because I cover it at night with a Black Large Towel to keep dust out.... and I guess taking the towel off adjusted the wheel.
rgtaa

Re: sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/02/02 12:58 PM

hey rgtaa.
i also cover my 1k with a towel whenever im not using it, but the only wheels to be affected is the pitch bend, and thats not happening. but thanks for the thought. Z
Posted by: Eric, B

Re: sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/02/02 01:02 PM

Hi Zack,

the sweet trumpet is generally used for slow loooong notes. Some love songs maybe.
For other songs like salsa I use the solo Trumpet which has less vibrato and has more punch.

Eric

Re: sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/02/02 01:04 PM

i hear that. and its probably best only in the upper octaves. i personally use one of the brass ensembles. i dont remember what its called off-hand, but its got an incredibly smooth tone. Z
Posted by: larigot

Re: sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/03/02 04:46 PM

When I got my 2000 I had planned to set up the trumpet as a mono voice layered with a horn section, on older instruments this used to sound great as the mono sound would always default to the top note in the chord played creating a lead line at the top of the chord, unfortunately there does now not seem to be any low/high note priority, when sounds are set to mono the mono'ed sound just jumps about all over the place when a chord is played, most dissapointing.

larigot
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/03/02 09:18 PM

Hi Zack

I didn't like that sharp attack on the flute at first either. I know it sounds good once in a while to accent notes and makes it sound like a real flute player. When I first started playing the 2000 I was using a much harder touch than I needed. So, now that I am simply using a lighter touch, I can easily control this. I am one that if I can find a way to work with factory settings, I prefer it over playing button technician.

Scott Langholff
Posted by: MarcK

Re: sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/03/02 11:12 PM

I personally don't care much for the 2000's Sweet Trumpet, a bit too "processed" and quite too much modulation for my tastes. I could see it being useful in certain situations, sometimes that sound is right -- but often it's not. The Solo Trumpet works just fine for me however. The Sweet flute is good (as is the regular one, and the orchestra flute as well!), and I really like the growl sax.
Posted by: sk880user

Re: sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/04/02 05:54 PM

I do not know about PSR2000, but for PSR740, sweet trumpet is the MOST beautiful sound ever in the history of keyboards. However, it is European sound not an american one. It is more for ballad instead of Jazz/blues/rock and their derivatives.

The timbre of the sound reminds you of nature and in particular of high moutains. To give its deserving position, you need to play it in the minor scale with the epich ballad.

The sweet flute and the solo nylon guitar are sweet and beautiful.

That is my taste and the taste of so many people as well.
Posted by: MarcK

Re: sweet! trumpet makes me feel sick! - 08/04/02 09:36 PM

Oh yes, the nylon guitar! Very well done indeed.