Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available

Posted by: Scottyee

Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/05/07 01:50 PM

Tyros2 OS 1.30 UPDATE

Download the '1st three' download link files on the above linked page.

OS 1.30 includes, in addition to misc bug fixes:

New features:

1. Added compatible USB-LAN Adapter
Wired : USB200M ver2 (LINKSYS)
Wireless : GW-US54GXS (Planex)
2. Improved operation performance on Music
Finder+

Scott
Posted by: Diki

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/05/07 02:06 PM

What, no Guitar Mode?

Just kidding, nice to see ANYTHING getting a face-lift from Yamaha...

Mind you, of all the arrangers that COULD benefit from a 'Guitar Mode', Yamaha's, with those wonderful (but barely playable) Mega Voice guitars is it, IMO.

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/05/07 02:16 PM

Diki: yeah, it sure would be really kool to implement Roland's Guitar Mode while utilizing Yamaha's S.A Guitars. Obviously both Roland's Guitar Mode & Yamaha's SA guitars are copyrighted features they want to keep to themselves. Too bad both manufacterers couldn't share their unique technologies and incorporate both on both the G70/E80 & Tyros2. Now that would be a real FIRST !

Scott

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/05/07 02:39 PM

Guitar Mode does not seem to be a copyrighted feature... witness new Korg's (and updated ones) using it.

In fact, Korg's implementation of it is MUCH better than Roland's, because you can actually USE it in Style Mode (so dear to your heart!). Yamaha's should have no problem with it in Style Mode either. It boils down to needing a Style track that doesn't transpose as you change chords (a Drum Track, in other words), to have the trigger notes, which determine up-strum, down-strum, rake and choke, etc., NOT change as you chord.

Roland's, for whatever stubborn, pigheaded reason, have not allowed more than ONE Drum Track despite DECADES of pleas from users. THEY want it for separate Drum and Perc. tracks, or mix and match kits, but it has some REALLY useful uses like playing sliced drum grooves out of a sampler or laptop, or holding certain pitched sounds for hip hop squeals, and the like, and of course, now making Guitar Mode, which they DID innovate, be of some actual USE to arranger players!

But who knows? Roland MIGHT be working on this as we speak (along with my Chord Sequencer)!

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/05/07 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
along with my Chord Sequencer)!

Diki: Now that's ONE feature I too whole heartedly support 'bringing back'. Hell, if Roland actually did that, it could even make me a converter, that is, if Roland would only finally implement (like the other manufacturers have now) Bill Evans jazz style (rootless) chord recognition as well. If that happened, I can assure you that I'd purchase a Roland arranger TODAY!

Btw to any of you guys that think I'm a Yamaha fanatic, I'm not. I own & play a 76 note Roland A33 keyboard controller too.

Scott

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/05/07 03:07 PM

You might like this post, then... http://www.roland-arranger.com/smf/index.php?topic=421.msg2486#new

BTW, if you are a big fan of the G70/G1000 keybed, you might like to look around for a good condition A70 controller. Same action as G70, and FAR better MIDI than the A33 (four to eight zones, for example)...
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/05/07 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
if Roland would only finally implement (like the other manufacturers have now) Bill Evans jazz style (rootless) chord recognition as well.
Btw to any of you guys that think I'm a Yamaha fanatic, I'm not. I own & play a 76 note Roland A33 keyboard controller too.

Scott

Perhaps the successors to Roland's present arrangers will have this important feature?

Scott...there's a rumor going around that your grand piano is actually a Roland digital grand with a "Steinway" decal applied over the Roland logo...

Please tell me this isn't so....

Ian

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/05/07 03:23 PM

Your welcome to come on over and play it yourself Ian. - Scott

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/05/07 03:44 PM

Gotcha!
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/05/07 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Perhaps the successors to Roland's present arrangers will have this important feature?

It's Coming......
I'll never tell how I know

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/05/07 05:30 PM

Well, if you REALLY know anything, Donny....

Ask them what they are DROPPING. Maybe we can head them off at the pass before they make another colossal blunder...

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/05/07 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
It's Coming......

That's interesting, Donny...but is it a rumor you have heard or a fact?

Roland has used the basically the same chord recognition since the early E-series(early 90's)...it would be terrific if they would upgrade.

If they could just make the next G-series a lot lighter, shorten the keyboard to 61 keys, put some speakers in it, add a chord sequencer (come on Roland...I know you're listening)...I would get one for myself...it would be a great backup for my PSR-S900.

Ian

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/05/07 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
it would be a great backup for my PSR-S900.Ian

Ian what didnt you understand about my post above ?

& btw didnt you mean "Replacement"

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/05/07 06:04 PM

They've ALREADY lightened up the G70, put some speakers in it, and shortened the keyboard to 61 notes (but sadly, no CS!)...
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

It's called the E50, and yes, it would make a great COMPLIMENT to your S900...

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/05/07 06:10 PM

Quote:

& btw didnt you mean "Replacement"

Sorry Donny, I didn't mean to question your integrity, but I am curious how you know so much.

No, my friend, I meant "backup"...my S900 will remain my main axe till the next mid range PSR is born...but it would still be nice to have a different brand keyboard to play around with.

Ian

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/05/07 06:14 PM

Quote:
It's Coming......

Ok, which ONE, or BOTH of the below features are you referring to?:

1) Chord Sequencer
2) Rootless Jazz chord voicing recognition; like Yamaha, Korg, and Ketron now include

DNJ: Ok, now that you've now got both me and Diki salivating with your purported revelation. Do you truly verifiability KNOW this as a FACT from a key contact person (that you know?) who works for Roland, or is this mere speculation & conjecture? Come clean dude.

Scott

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/05/07 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
They've ALREADY lightened up the G70, put some speakers in it, and shortened the keyboard to 61 notes (but sadly, no CS!)...>

It's called the E50, and yes, it would make a great COMPLIMENT to your S900...

You are telling me that the E50 is a 61 note G70 with speakers?

Gee, and all the while I thought the G70 was quite a lot more than the E-50 besides being heavier and having more keys.

Besides, the E-50 still uses the old chord recognition and that's a deal breaker for me...

Perhaps I should reiterate...give the new G-series a serious weight loss program, put in speakers, knock off those pesky extra keys AND give it a CS AND a proper chord recognition and it would surely be worthy of sitting next to my PSR-900.

Maybe Korg will come up with something interesting...

Ian

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/06/07 04:10 AM

Quote:

Donny,

You have always made it clear on this forum that it bothers you when someone makes a claim that they cannot or will not back up.

Your usual response is, "put up or shut up".

Yet, here you are, doing the very same thing that you say you detest in others.

That's what I don't understand, my friend.

Ian

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/06/07 11:51 AM

Well, Ian, no, the E50 is no more a 61 note G70 than the S900 is a speaker version of the T2.

But it incorporates MANY of the sounds, and MOST of the features, rather like the S900.

You are prepared to make those compromises for a speaker and light weight on a Yamaha. Why not make them for a light weight, speaker-ed Roland (and you wouldn't have to make as much compromise on the action!)?

It still has that punchy 'in your face' sound the G70 has, and that's one of the main reasons anyone chooses the Roland's over Yamaha's...

Or is it only Yamaha's that you are prepared to make any compromise for...?

PS... 'Old system' on the Roland's? Do you actually use the 'rootless' jazz voicings, then, Ian? Other than this, what chording system is missing, on the Roland's?

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 09-06-2007).]

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/06/07 12:25 PM

Diki,

The E-50 is no where near the PSR-S900...no SA voices, no Mega voices, no rootless chord recognition(which I use...you obviously have no need of it)no Audio to USB...in fact the G70 has none of these features either.

IF Roland improves the breed enough to provide at least the equivalent of these features it would make it worth having one as a diversion.

As they are presently, it would be too much of a step backward to use one, even as a backup.

I hope the new G series has more to offer.

Ian

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/06/07 02:13 PM

Ian .....
your saying the G70 is comparable to the S900 ?

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/06/07 02:29 PM

Ian, I realize, feature for feature, that the S900 has a lot going for it. But, as I said, that punchy SOUND is not one of them. A modest Roland (something light and inexpensive) could be addressed over MIDI from your S900, and add back a little of the 'cojones' that seem so lacking in the otherwise well-features PSR series.

Just a thought.

Please feel free to be dismissive and condescending in your reply to this post (as if you weren't already going to!).

'PSR good... others BAD'
'PSR good... others BAD'
'PSR good... others BAD'
'PSR good... others BAD'
'PSR good... others BAD'

OK... we GET IT...... (George Orwell, anyone...?)
Posted by: OldNewb

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/06/07 02:33 PM

Quote:
Ian .....
your saying the G70 is comparable to the S900 ?

I did not read Ian's post as saying that at all.
Jim

Re: Yamaha Tyros2 1.30 OS Update Now Available - 09/06/07 03:06 PM

Diki,

Well, my friend, the PSR-S900 suits me just fine...punch is perfect for me...and I love the way it sounds.

SA and Mega voices are presently state of the art...a Yamaha exclusive.

If I wanted "in your face" sounds then I would use something else...BUT, I don't like them...I like the "finished" CD quality sound the PSR-900 gives me.

If the G70 (or E-50) jingles your bells then I am ecstatic for you...but PLEASE don't waste your time trying to convince me it would work for me in it's present state.

You know, Diki, this is not an issue of what is "best"...it boils down to the two of us expressing our opinions in what we want/need in an arranger over and over and over...they differ...so what?

We're supposed to be big boys, so lets just leave it at that and discuss it no further...we are wasting precious forum space with this no win debate.

Now, my friend, I trust my reply wasn't too dismissive and condescending for you, and I wish you all the best.

Ian