Need help using Technics kn6500 as a sound module

Posted by: Peeterr

Need help using Technics kn6500 as a sound module - 02/15/07 12:45 PM

Using midi cable, OUT from Sonar 6 to IN at kn6500. Play standard midi file from sonar, NO SOUND. Is there something I also need to do to hear sound out of kn6500? Thanks for your help.

Peter
Posted by: Diki

Re: Need help using Technics kn6500 as a sound module - 02/15/07 03:52 PM

First principles of troubleshooting...... CHECK YOUR CABLES. Try a different MIDI cable just to be sure. No sound? Secondly, connect a different keyboard, module, drum machine, anything you have, just to see if Sonor is actually sending the MIDI. No sound? Then replace the cable again. Still no sound?

You HAVE played the Technics' keyboard and got it to sound, haven't you? If no sound, check the audio cables, mixer and speaker (or are you listening to built-in speakers?

After all that, now try and find your Technics' manual, and look up if there is a MIDI 'Receive' page somewhere and check that that is 'ON'.

Can't help a whole lot past that point (I'm a Rolander!), but those are the first things to check when ANYTHING goes wrong, before you spend a LOT of wasted time chasing ghosts.....
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: Need help using Technics kn6500 as a sound module - 02/16/07 05:04 AM

Hi,
maybe it's just as simple that you have to set the software properties to send i.e.
via MPU401 or whatever mididriver you have installed.

Also this can be selected in Windows sound properties if driver are installed.

Happy playing
GJ
Posted by: Peeterr

Re: Need help using Technics kn6500 as a sound module - 02/16/07 01:04 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I've been using Cakewalk and doing computer sequencing since Cakewalk 1.0. I've never encountered a problem like this before. Using the same midi cord, if I plug it into my tyros or my roland sc880 from sonar, I hear everything that I suppose to hear. When I use that same cord and plugg into my kn6500, NOTHING. I tried twiking and playing with all the midi functions in the keyboard....all unsuccessful. Now I'm beginning to think maybe it's the keyboard. Is there a technic user out there that's having this problem? Is there a way around it? Thanks for your reply.

Peter
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: Need help using Technics kn6500 as a sound module - 02/16/07 01:32 PM

Hi again.

Try reset the midisettings to factory preset on the KN65,
then play a ordinary GM midifile in your software or stright
from the PC to see if it plays and sounds OK.
It maybe the settings on your KN that you've saved earlier who
load at startup?
Worth a try.

Good luck
GJ
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Need help using Technics kn6500 as a sound module - 02/16/07 02:31 PM

Peter
I have a KN7000 and have had the same problem. It wasn't the keyboard, but my ignorance in setting it up.

If all your parts are on the right channel, try the presets,which configures your communication with a computer or module,slave or master,etc.

It seems that it can be configured so many ways that it takes a lot of trial and error if you don't know what you're doing. I am sure you are more experienced than I, but I can use controller keyboards with ease, and hit a brick wall with the Technics.

Bernie