Halloween & Holidays R U Dressed up to Play? or......

Posted by: Dnj

Halloween & Holidays R U Dressed up to Play? or...... - 10/29/03 03:40 PM

Well the Holidays are upon us..plus thru the year there are many more that we perform at. I personally hate to dress in some kind of costume. I feel stupid and for the most part I cannot sing & play songs and put my heart into it when I have a silly DAVEY CROCKET, ABE LINCOLN, NAPOLEON, or other Wild Hat on...or an ELVIS WIG, Vampire Cape, Big Mickey Mouse Ears, Bumble Bee Antennas w/Lites, Dracula Makeup w/Fangs, or wearing Hawaiian Leis, Cowboy Hats, etc etc... on a hot day I'll go for shorts and a Tropical print shirt for a pool party, but thats it. I am most comfortabe dressed formal TUX, or Tux w/vest only open shirt combo. I feel better and comfortable. Anything on my head or around my neck bothers my singing/playing style. I'm not a circus act. I was wondering how you felt about "Dressing in Costume etc " while playing Holiday/Theme parties out there?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-30-2003).]
Posted by: rattley

Re: Halloween & Holidays R U Dressed up to Play? or...... - 10/29/03 04:09 PM

Since I have only played a few Old Folks Home gigs I wear wild sportscoats like Rob Roddy did..........Sorry to hear he just passed away. I guess I'll have to look at Rip Taylors wardrobe! Don't laugh...........The old folks love it!
...........so I guess I'm always dressed for Halloween. - charley

Re: Halloween & Holidays R U Dressed up to Play? or...... - 10/29/03 04:49 PM

Charlie.....are they custom made jackets?
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Halloween & Holidays R U Dressed up to Play? or...... - 10/29/03 05:58 PM

Donny, dress up as Humperdink, then you will feel at home..
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Halloween & Holidays R U Dressed up to Play? or...... - 10/29/03 11:17 PM

I'm playing with my band at the Tree House in Simi Valley on Halloween and I know the rest of the band will be wearing something weird even if it's just a wig or a hat. I am not that big on constumes myself but I guess I had better think of something before Friday. Hmmmm ......

And as we are playing in Simi Valley which is still fighting off the wildfires I guess we should provide some sort of distraction on Halloween to help ease the tension there.
Posted by: Tom Cavanaugh

Re: Halloween & Holidays R U Dressed up to Play? or...... - 10/30/03 05:16 AM

Our drummer is going to dress-up and go as a musician.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Halloween & Holidays R U Dressed up to Play? or...... - 10/30/03 05:48 AM

Nigel .... the "Blues Bros" look always works for guitar players .... shades, fadora(hat)single button, dark suit jacket. Looks cool, and is comfy to play in! You gan go on a "Mission from God !"
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Halloween & Holidays R U Dressed up to Play? or...... - 10/30/03 06:20 AM

I just wear the tux, but put a lighted skull on one of the speakers.

Cheers,

Gary

Re: Halloween & Holidays R U Dressed up to Play? or...... - 10/30/03 06:29 AM

I'm not just talking about Halloween...but costumes in general for all ocasions!
Posted by: rattley

Re: Halloween & Holidays R U Dressed up to Play? or...... - 10/30/03 04:14 PM

Dnj...............These sportscoats were bought used and some were probably originally custom made. They weren't bought off a rack at JC Penney! I'm only 44, but a large section of the population here are retirees. I'm sure as they pass on their belongings end up in the Senior Centers to sell for charity. I did buy 1 classic black and white tuxedo that fit perfectly for $20.
There are tons of red blazers for sale at $5......can't give those away!
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Halloween & Holidays R U Dressed up to Play? or...... - 10/30/03 04:22 PM

I wish I had a pencil thin mustache
The Boston Blackie kind
A two-toned Rici Ricardo jacket
and an autograpned picture of Andy Devine
I can be anyone I want to be
Maybe suave Earl Flynn or the Sheik of Arribe
If I only had a pencil thin mustache
then I could do some cruisin' too

Jimmy Buffett