OT: Cell Phones & Service Provider Recommendations

Posted by: Scottyee

OT: Cell Phones & Service Provider Recommendations - 10/27/03 10:09 PM

Who here owns a cell phone? Anyone here use or recommend 'Verizon Wireless' as their cell phone service provider?

I've recently decided it's time I get a cell phone again (after several years w/o one), especially after just having missed an important call the other day which cost me losing a high paying gig to someone else because I wasn't immediately reachable by phone.

I live in the major metropolitan area of San Francisco, CA, so there's quite a few cell phone service provider choices available here (AT&T Wireless, Verizon Wireless, Cingular Wireless, T-Mobile, and Sprint). Unfortunately, in my 'immediate' neighborhood, ONLY Verizon provides a dependable strong phone signal to my house. The others provide (to my area) a weak signal at best, resulting in frequent voice signal breakup & even total diconnection at times.

I heard that AT&T, Cingular and T-Mobile exclusively utilize the newer GSM phones which unforutunately, because the technology is a lot newer, offers rather spotty cell phone coverage, while Verizon, which utilizes the older Digital technology phones, currently provides far better comprehensive coverage to all areas (including my neighborhood).

The downside of going with Verizon is that their rates are substantially higher than the other mentioned cell phone service providers.

I'm really interested in hearing from others here about 'your' experience with cell phone providers, as well as what your personal recommendation is on a brand/model cell phone. Many thanks, Scott
Posted by: Dnj

Re: OT: Cell Phones & Service Provider Recommendations - 10/28/03 05:47 AM

Scott,

I use T-Mobile and never had a problem. great Reception Nationwide & Great Service plans.
I also use a SAMSUNG R-225 phone
.....check it out.
Posted by: frankieve

Re: OT: Cell Phones & Service Provider Recommendations - 10/28/03 06:02 AM

Scott,

I'm a AT&T and Nextel dealer.

All providers will have something that is better than another.

Coverage will be something that depends on where you travel to and where you live.

Here are some pros

AT&T uses GSM, which is a international system so with some phone calls before you travel, you have the option of using your phone when you are in Europe or wherever. ( I believe T-mobile has this too)

Nextel has a plan with free incoming calls, so every call made to your phone is air time free. Plus they have the 2-way system, but you need to know people with other nextels to make this work.

Verizon has the best coverage in CT, and pretty good nationwide because they have been around very long in the cell business, but in a matter of time coverage will be the same with all.

So you basically asked the same question everyone else asks in this forum

"Which arranger should I Get?"

Later
Posted by: Douglas Dean

Re: OT: Cell Phones & Service Provider Recommendations - 10/28/03 07:02 AM

Frankieve, your observation answered a topic that was posted a few days ago and then for some strange reason disappeared in a short time. The topic asked something like ‘What was the most talked about subject on this forum’. by _ _ _ _ _ _. Thanks for having the guts to post an observation that some of us have observed for quite awhile. Your observation that triggered a chuckle from me is as follows: “So you basically asked the same question everyone else asks in this forum ‘Which arranger should I Get?’ “. Which, which and which! Kind of sounds like Halloween is in the air.

Looking for the next which or is it witch? Anyway can’t wait!

Grandpa Doug
Posted by: Tony W

Re: OT: Cell Phones & Service Provider Recommendations - 10/28/03 03:18 PM

Wow Scott,
I thought that it was obligatory these days to own a cell phone (or mobile phone as we Brits call them.) I really could not manage without mine but often find myself contemplating if it would take the weight of my car rolling over it.

Of all the modern gadgets it has to be the most tiresome and distracting invention to date and yet the most invaluable. I am forever forgeting to turn mine off in meetings and shame upon shame mine even went off at my fathers funeral!!

I did not realise that T-Mobile operated in the USA. They are one of our biggest providers here in the UK. However I am with Virgin (as in the airline), but then I would be wouldn't I

My phone is getting on a bit now (like me!) ... Nokia 8850 but I am so used to it now that when I changed recently for one of these new fangled colour screen things I ended up giving it away and dusting off the Nokia again!

I did consider getting one of these combined PDA / GSM units and was just about to take the plunge when work decided to buy me a new laptop and ipaq so the idea seemed a bit redundant.

I live about 30 minutes away from the famous Lake District and if we go up there for the day my signal is up and down like .... well my new leaf won't let me go there

Let us know what you end up with though .... If I can't spend money myself I love to watch others doing it
Very Best to you Scott
Tony

------------------
www.tonywmusic.co.uk
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: OT: Cell Phones & Service Provider Recommendations - 10/28/03 07:45 PM

T-Mobile has the best looking spokesmodel going ! CZJ is hot in those ads !
Posted by: George Kaye

Re: OT: Cell Phones & Service Provider Recommendations - 10/28/03 07:47 PM

Scott,
For years I was using AT&T. Then, last year my daughter started UCLA and at her apartment she had no service. We asked all the other student in the area which provider they used and all said Verizon was best is Westwood, Ca. I called AT&T and asked them about this problem and they admitted that there cells were not good in the area. I went to Verizon and purchased a new phone (Motorola V60i). I then realized that all the areas where I live that I got no service with AT&T now worked with Verizon. As each of my AT&T contracts have expired, I've switched to another Verizon phone. Now, I have 5 in my family. The other thing I like alot about Verizon is that when I have any problems with a phone, they simply replace it with a new one even if it is out of the warranty period or not. The only downsize is that here in LA, there are not very many Verizon stores and the lines can be quite long when I need to visit one. I am very pleased with their service here in Southern California. A few months ago, one of the local stations did a rating of all the cell providers and Verizon was the best.
George Kaye
Kaye's music Scene
Reseda, California
Posted by: Beakybird

Re: OT: Cell Phones & Service Provider Recommendations - 10/29/03 09:09 AM

Where I live, US Cellular provides the most minutes for moderate money - 900 anytime minutes plus unlimited weekends for $40/mo. Roaming extra. I get a great call signal, better than I did with AT&T.

Beakybird

Re: OT: Cell Phones & Service Provider Recommendations - 10/29/03 10:23 AM

Thanks to everyone for your responses.
As I mentioned, in my area, GSM coverage still hasn't reached maturity yet as there's still a lot of dead zones, especially in my neighborhood, so my choice is: going with Verizon (which uses CDMA) or AT&T, who offer you a choice between GSM or TDMA service. GSM may be the wave of the near future but coverage is currently spotty, and TDMA provides good area coverage NOW, because it's been around for so long (over 12 years). I like Verizon (they use CDMA) and are known in the industsry as providing the BEST coverage nationwide) but their rates (at least here in the Bay Area) suck. Their local calling area plan rate is MUCH higher than AT&Ts (TDMA) similarly equivilant plan, and Verizon's DOESN"T even INCLUDE free long distance as AT&T does.

I'm currently auditioning the AT&T (TDMA type service) cell phone on a 14 day free trial and finding both the price and signal coverage throughout my area (East Bay) very good, and dramatically improved over the AT&T 'GSM' phone I auditioned earlier. My concern is whether going with a 'TDMA' type cell phone may result in outdated service sooner than later, as I hear (rumor?) that TDMA will be eventually phased out & completely REPLACED by GSM. The problem with cell phone carriers is that to get a real good deal (free phone & expensive activasion fees waived), you got to commit to a 2 year contract. If AT&T will be willing to migrate me over to GSM at a later date (9-12 months or after GSM towers become more implemented here) and not penalize me, as that means switching to a GSM phone & GSM service, I may go with AT&T TDMA phone service. Curious to hear what the cell phone experts here think about the TDMA/GSM issue. In closing, I realize many of you may be thinking this cell phone thing to be OT, but it's actually become an essential tool for gigging musicians. I'm quickly realizing that we can't live w/o one; just gotta remember to turn the dammed ringer off when performing.

Scott
Posted by: frankieve

Re: OT: Cell Phones & Service Provider Recommendations - 10/29/03 10:34 AM

Scott,

Look into the Siemens S45 or the Sony Erricson,

They both make a dual mode GSM/TDMA phone.

Re: OT: Cell Phones & Service Provider Recommendations - 11/15/03 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Scott,
I use T-Mobile and never had a problem. great Reception Nationwide & Great Service plans.

I finally signed on with T-Mobile (thanks to Donny's excellent recommendation ) and in addition to appreciating their very friendly & helpful customer service, happy with the reception and coverage I'm getting as well. Donny: I'm looking forward to chattin' with ya on T-Mobile.

I purchased a Nokia 6610, http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,1522,,00.html?orig=/phones/6610/ which easily slips inconspiciously into my front pocket.

In addition to Donny, are there any other T-Mobile cell phone users here? My T-Mobile cell phone service includes 24 hour, 7 days/week FREE 'unlimited' calling between any other US T-Mobile cell phone user. If you're on T-Mobile and interested in chatting please email me.

Scott
Posted by: Dnj

Re: OT: Cell Phones & Service Provider Recommendations - 11/15/03 11:28 AM

Scott,
Good luck with your new T-Mobile cell phone....I love mine........I don't know how we lived without them

Call me anytime...If I'm on stage leave a message.

carry On
Posted by: Bill E

Re: OT: Cell Phones & Service Provider Recommendations - 11/15/03 08:44 PM

Scott, very pleased with Verizon and my Samsung A310 flip-phone. Big clear display, big easy to see buttons, flip it open to answer, close it to hang up, all without looking at it. My wife has a piece-of-junk- Noika that you have to squint and try to hit the tiny buttons----not old blind me! It also survived bouncing out of my pocket and onto the concrete, (twice!) when I have forgotten that it was in my pocket and decided to attempt an impromptu jump shot while walking past the basketball court. Service varies by area, but do try to get a decent phone, it is worth the difference.
Bill

Re: OT: Cell Phones & Service Provider Recommendations - 11/15/03 10:57 PM

Bill: Great to hear the Samsung A310 is working out for you. I agree that Samsung flip phones have some great features. I actually had a chance to audition (14 day free trial) a number of flip phones (including yours from Verizon, and others from Cingular, AT&T, and T-Mobile) but for me, an important cell phone requirement is that it can be stored inconspicously inside my front pants pocket rather than mounted visibly outside with a belt clip. I find that even the smallest & thinniest flip phones are still a little thick to remain inconspicious inside your front pants pocket. Though the buttons on my Nokia 6610 are admittedly a bit small, I'm willing to sacrifice this in exchange for it's smaller thinner size, allowing me to easily slip it into my front pants pocket without anyone ever suspecting that I have a phone on me. This is especially important for formal occasions and performing on stage. The sound quality of the 6610 speaker phone is particularly impressive for its size. The other reason I chose a Nokia is because Nokia's have the reputation for having the best RF signal sensitivity for placing & receiving calls in weak signal areas. In a real life comparison test, I was able to make calls with my Nokia 6610 in places where my friend's current model Samsung & Sanyo flip phones couldn't. I suppose that choosing phones & arranger keyboards is similar in that we have to find the one that best suits our own indiviual needs. - Scott
Posted by: GlennT

Re: OT: Cell Phones & Service Provider Recommendations - 11/17/03 09:19 AM

This site came online today. It compares cell phone plans and prices. It also facilitates change of plans for the consumer.
http://www.wirefly.com