I need help with history of arranger keybds

Posted by: cwalkeralso

I need help with history of arranger keybds - 02/15/07 05:30 PM

I'm presently writing a research paper that needs to include a brief history of the development of arranger keyboards. For current top models, I would like to be able to include reliable estimates of total units sold.

I will, of course, be contacting manufacturers for any help they might provide. Beyond that, though, I'm hoping some of you can send me copies of (or links to) relevant articles in industry-related magazines or other such publications. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Charles Walker
Posted by: DonM

Re: I need help with history of arranger keybds - 02/15/07 06:34 PM

This will get you started. http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/en/extra/KorgStory.html
DonM
Posted by: Diki

Re: I need help with history of arranger keybds - 02/15/07 07:20 PM

Best of luck trying to get any of the major manufacturers to give you accurate sales figures, though! They tend to be fairly tight-lipped about internal financial figures, at least about current models.

But please post back and let us know how your project comes along, I'm sure it will be a fascinating read....
Posted by: Jørgen Sørensen

Re: I need help with history of arranger keybds - 02/15/07 11:05 PM

Hi

History of Yahaha arrangers: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/chron.php

This link is permanently stored at my site (Yamaha Sites page).

Regards
Jørgen

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: I need help with history of arranger keybds - 02/16/07 04:09 AM

Hmmmm, let's see - between Don Mason, Donny Pesce and I alone .... we can acccount for over half the arrangers sold in the last 25 years. Then, there's Tom C, who has had all of ours, AFTER we wore them out, and once in a while Boo would bite on a used slab......so I guess the number would be somewhat higher than the total number of Superbowls that the Eagles have won!

( Fran still has his original Roland stuff, so he's falling behind, if we could get him to keep a Yamaha product, the numbers would SOAR !!! )
Posted by: freddynl

Re: I need help with history of arranger keybds - 02/16/07 02:27 PM

Jorgen, there are a couple of models missing on the yamaha list. and a lot of them are no arranger keyboards. Basicly it all started with auto accomp. way back around 1970. I think Solina was one of the first brands which came with a homecabinet organ with autoacc., soon followed by the italian brands and yamaha. Yamaha also had an early small keyboard just called PRS or PSR which had an autoacc. around 1972.
Did not see it in the list of Yamaha. There was also a strange cabinet called Optigan, which worked with some kind of tapes for the autoacc. also from the early seventies.

Just my two cents..
Posted by: pianodano

Re: I need help with history of arranger keybds - 02/16/07 02:36 PM

Eh hmmm.

Like just about everything else re modern keyboards, Hammond did it first.
http://www.hammond-organ.com/History/hammond_accomplishments1.htm

http://www.hammond-organ.com/History/hammond_accomplishments3.htm

Danny

[This message has been edited by pianodano (edited 02-16-2007).]
Posted by: Dnj

Re: I need help with history of arranger keybds - 02/16/07 02:45 PM

http://www.synthmuseum.com/
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: I need help with history of arranger keybds - 02/16/07 03:11 PM

Actually, Yamaha's first auto accompaniment portable, called the Portasound was in 1980 with the PS1/2/3.

Their first really legit models, IMO, were the PS-55/35 which had PCM drums, but used P.A.S.S (pulse analog synthesis system)for the sounds.

These were followed by the FM based PS-6100(1984), PSR-70(1985) and the PSR-6300(1986).

The next bunch were based on an early form of sampling(before AWM) called D.A.S.S.(Dual Architectural Synthesis System) and the top models were the PSR-4500/4600.

The AWM stuff came later, with the launch of the PSR-6700 and PSR-500 in 1991.

I had just started working for Yamaha way back then, and remember demoing(and owning) these instruments.

Ian

------------------
Cha d’dhùin doras nach d’fhosgail doras.
Posted by: DanO1

Re: I need help with history of arranger keybds - 02/16/07 04:19 PM

The next bunch were based on an early form of sampling(before AWM) called D.A.S.S.(Dual Architectural Synthesis System) and the top models were the PSR-4500/4600.

My 1st arranger keyboard ! Dan O'

------------------
eBay power seller and store builder . Former Ketron demo guy.

Re: I need help with history of arranger keybds - 02/16/07 04:37 PM

I appreciate the response. Since posting my request, I found a lengthy history of Roland, with discussion of their arranger boards ( http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov04/articles/roland.htm ). I hadn't come across the Korg site, thanks, DonM, for that link. Neither had I come across Jorgen's Yamaha link, so that is certainly appreciated. And for sure, no mention of arrangers would be complete without starting with Hammond, etc.

What about Technics/Panasonic, Wersi, Casio, etc? What manufacturers am I leaving out? Forgive my ignorance, but my only personal experience is with Yamaha. All the input is helpful, and appreciated.

Charles

[This message has been edited by cwalkeralso (edited 02-16-2007).]

Re: I need help with history of arranger keybds - 02/16/07 04:40 PM

The PSR-4500/4600 were nearly identical, except for a few cosmetics...although the 4600 had several different accompaniment styles.

They both used the D.A.S.S. which was FM and AWM simply combined without Vectors.

I used to like the unique "roll bars" that were situated under the keyboard and allowed for pitch bend and modulation...pretty cool!

Ian

------------------
Posted by: Diki

Re: I need help with history of arranger keybds - 02/16/07 04:44 PM

Better learn German to get much info on Wersi's....

Just joking, but hey, when are they EVER going to translate their own website to the English language? It's a LOT easier to sell something if you can read the manufacturer's website. How many Yamaha's would get sold if Japanese kanji were the only way to find out about them?

Re: I need help with history of arranger keybds - 02/16/07 05:05 PM

Don't forget Hohner P-120/100 and ADAM.(1994)

Also, JVC KB-300/500.(1984)

Seiko had the DS-202 (1983)

Siel MK-900.(1984)

Farfisa F1 and F5, and F6. (around 1993)

Then there is GEM WS2,WS400, WS1, WX2 and CD1.(1990's)

Also the Kawai X20/30(1992) FS2000 Super Lab(1992), and FS640 and derivatives(1992).

The Orla KX400, KX750.(1990's)

Solton MS5, MS4, MS50 and similar models.(1990's)

Wersi had the Pegasus(1994) and others.

Kurzweil had the Mark 10 and Mark 150 (1993), the latter being more of a grand piano type instrument.

I hope this helps.

Ian

------------------

Re: I need help with history of arranger keybds - 02/17/07 12:10 AM

Hi

Try this http://www.combo-organ.com/

Regards
Jørgen

------------------

Re: I need help with history of arranger keybds - 02/17/07 12:13 AM

Hi

or this http://www.vintagekeys.co.uk/

Jørgen

------------------
Posted by: abacus

Re: I need help with history of arranger keybds - 02/17/07 01:51 AM

Hello Charles
When doing the research please remember that the arranger name did not come about till around the 90s, so also search for single manual organs and single and/or portable keyboards before then.
Regarding Wersi their main instruments were always Organs (And to a large extent still are) therefore Arranger keyboards do not feature heavily, however 3 models that worked toward Arrangers were the Keyfox, Pegasus (Early 90s) and Abacus, (2000) but even these were really Single Manual Organs and a true Arranger Keyboard was not released until 2003 when the Ikarus was introduced. (This is why in spite of the Ikarus larger keyboard, the price is significantly below the Abacus)
BTW there are rumours circulating that Wersi are going to introduce a board under the Ikarus, which if true should be interesting. (Please remember the last part is a rumour with as yet no solid supporting facts)
Hope this helps

Bill
Posted by: rolandfan

Re: I need help with history of arranger keybds - 02/17/07 02:13 AM

Will always have fond memories of the then famous Roland E30 .. Wasnt it incredibly expensive back then?

Re: I need help with history of arranger keybds - 02/17/07 04:36 AM

My first instrument was the Yamaha Electone BK-20AS, purchased in 1973.

I found this history of the Electone series:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~wkoopman/electone/

Pictured here is the basic model. Mine was slightly different, in dark walnut and with a more attractive speaker grill.

The series has come a long way since then.

Charles

[This message has been edited by cwalkeralso (edited 02-17-2007).]