Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs?

Posted by: Dnj

Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/03/07 04:51 PM

I have never used one .....but yesterday someone showed me how it worked.....Garmin C530....was thinking it could come in very helpful when Im on the road in strange towns on the way to gigs.....anyone using them ....what models, features.....opinions are best?

thanx
Posted by: zuki

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/03/07 04:55 PM

Nope - I just use Streets and Trips before heading from home - works like a charm
Posted by: Nick G

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/03/07 05:09 PM

Donny - look at the latest Tom Tom models. they are one of the best from my experience.
Posted by: RobertG

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/03/07 05:56 PM

I got a built-in one on my new car. It's really cool and works very well. However, you should still have printed directions as backup and always check the turn list to see which way it is taking you.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/03/07 06:02 PM

My Verizon wireless cell phone..has it for $10 month..

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/03/07 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
My Verizon wireless cell phone..has it for $10 month..

Fran I have it on my Nextel phone also .....but it is no comparison to the AUTO GPS units & impractical in live usage while driving.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-03-2007).]

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/03/07 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RobertG:
I got a built-in one on my new car. It's really cool and works very well. However, you should still have printed directions as backup and always check the turn list to see which way it is taking you.

Mapquest printed directions sux ....every try to read them when your lost & need to make split second turn decision when your late to a gig?
Posted by: Taike

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/03/07 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Mapquest printed directions sux ....every try to read them when your lost & need to make split second turn decision when your late to a gig?

It's those split-second-turn-deciders that cause accidents.

Late for a gig? Try explaining that to the one(s) you hurt or the one(s) that lost someone. There's a simple solution: leave earlier!

Taike
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/04/07 02:13 AM

We have them in both our cars. Since we're fairly new to the area, they have been invaluable. They're dead-on accurate, have voice-recognition, instant rerouting, etc. Ours is built-in so I can't say much about the portable units, but I understand that they are quite capable. To avoid accidents, pull over if you need to put in an address. It's old technology for me as we had multiple units in our plane (and Loran before that) long before it was available for cars.

At the prices the portable units are selling for now, you can't go wrong.

chas
Posted by: frankieve

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/04/07 04:07 AM

I sell them, Gramin, Tomtom, Alpine, LG. Pioneer.

Looks like the Garmin is the true leader. Tomtom is a very close second, but speed, ease of use, best OS goes to Garmin.

Call me if you have questions

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/04/07 04:10 AM

Frank......can you email me your opinons/info on a few of the Garmin models?
Posted by: Route 66

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/04/07 02:04 PM

Donny, I'm using a PDA/Pocket PC with a cell phone (GSM/3G), incorporated GPS, and TomTom software (version 6), Wireless connection, Bluetooth, two cameras. I use it to go everywhere, not only for gigs. I'm going to Berlin/Germany (6000 Kms trip) in three days... with my motorbike and I will bring it with me, properly attached to the bike. It fits in my pocket and it's a great tool.

This is the model: http://www.htc.com.pt/index.php?page=sho...emid=44&lang=en

Cheers,
-- José.
Posted by: George Kaye

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/04/07 02:56 PM

I was watching Good Morning America this morning and they were showing great gift ideas for Fathers Day.
They showed a new Magellan Maestro model 4040 which looks really cool. It features Full USA and Canada maps and all the AAA tour books for the USA built right in and if you belong to the AAA and need assistance, it will notify the Triple A right where your car has broken down.
The list price is $499.00
My son has a Magellan 700 series which he paid $1100 two years ago and loves his.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/05/07 12:16 PM

LG is offering a $50 rebate on their NAvs

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/05/07 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Route 66:
Donny, I'm using a PDA/Pocket PC with a cell phone (GSM/3G), incorporated GPS, and TomTom software (version 6), Wireless connection, Bluetooth, two cameras. I use it to go everywhere, not only for gigs. I'm going to Berlin/Germany (6000 Kms trip) in three days... with my motorbike and I will bring it with me, properly attached to the bike. It fits in my pocket and it's a great tool.

This is the model: http://www.htc.com.pt/index.p hp?page=sh...emid=44&lang=en

Cheers,
-- José.

Jose looks like kool unit !!!& have a great trip in germany take some pics for us to ok?

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/05/07 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
I was watching Good Morning America this morning and they were showing great gift ideas for Fathers Day.
They showed a new Magellan Maestro model 4040 which looks really cool. It features Full USA and Canada maps and all the AAA tour books for the USA built right in and if you belong to the AAA and need assistance, it will notify the Triple A right where your car has broken down.
The list price is $499.00
My son has a Magellan 700 series which he paid $1100 two years ago and loves his.

George the new Maestro megellan series is another Im considering....thanx for the info !!

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/05/07 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
LG is offering a $50 rebate on their NAvs

Is LG highly rated in the GPs market?

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/05/07 02:44 PM

Lg just borrowed Pioneers GPS design.

I used to be a Magellan dealer and once you have used a Garmin piece, you'll understand why.

Garmin is the big guy, Magellan used to be but they have been bought out and now they are more of a me too company.

try the Nuvi or C series and you won't be disappointed.

Price point that LG will come to you at $275 minus $50 for a total of $225.

Garmins will be at least in the $400 and up.

You get what you pay for

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/05/07 03:01 PM

After all the research I've done & on hands demos with friends & in the stores Im liking the Garmin NUVI 350....it fits my needs....

Thanx for the info.
Posted by: abacus

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/05/07 03:08 PM

The Gadget Show on UK TV test GPS systems every year, and in the past 3 years the Tom Tom has come top, with the Garmin a very close second, the rest have been a must try harder.
Treat them as a keyboard and try them out in the shop first, as each OS has its own quirks.

Bill

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/05/07 03:12 PM

http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_tracklog/2005/12/garmin_nuvi_350.html

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-05-2007).]
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/05/07 07:28 PM

I use co pilot laptop 10 in the motorhome because it is good, has everything and is on the 17 inch screen in the laptop on a stand and i can see and hear everything it is telling me. It seems to be very accurate. It is designed for big motorhomes that don't make u turns or back out of blind dead ends.
Check it out,
it goes in any car too plus you can crank it up at home and plot out a trip with all the points of interest of a mile or 3000 miles.
Bebop

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/08/07 04:02 AM

http://www.alk.com/copilot/laptop.asp
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/08/07 09:47 AM

This looks interesting..since I always have a laptop with me anyway..
http://www.alk.com/store/whats_included.asp?sku=CP10NA-USB-GS
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Anyone using a Auto GPS to get to gigs? - 06/08/07 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
After all the research I've done & on hands demos with friends & in the stores Im liking the Garmin NUVI 350....it fits my needs....

Thanx for the info.

Donny, I was at my local BJ's wholesale club this afternoon. That Nuvi 350 is a great unit, nice clean interface easy to use. If I were in the market I'd be leaning toward that one myself, good luck with it.