Sample of new jazz piece

Posted by: Bluezplayer

Sample of new jazz piece - 04/10/03 07:09 AM

Here is a part of my first attempt to create a song on the Motif, using the breathe controller with the VL150 basic tenor sax. I will probably redo the sax part once I ( hopefully ) get a bit more proficient with the breathe controller and get more into setting up the physical modeling parameters of the VL board itself. The drum track was created in jammer Pro.

You can access this sample tune by going to http://www.geocities.com/bluezplayer/index.html and then clicking the link that says "click here to listen to a sample of AJ's music.

AJ
Posted by: squeak_D

Re: Sample of new jazz piece - 04/10/03 07:16 AM

Folks I had the pleasure of listening to this last night and WOW! It's worth listening to... AJ really nailed it with this one.. Great drum programing, good piano solo, and he's really getting the hang of that breath controller too.. Great song AJ..

Squeak
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: Sample of new jazz piece - 04/10/03 07:45 AM

AJ,
Looks like we have to sit in line to get on your site and hear your latest as follows:
Yahoo!
Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!
The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.
Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later. http://www.geocities.com/bluezplayer/index.html
BEBOP
Posted by: trtjazz

Re: Sample of new jazz piece - 04/10/03 08:06 AM

AJ.
In a word WOW! Outstanding.

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

Re: Sample of new jazz piece - 04/10/03 08:27 AM

Thanks much Squeak and Terry, much appreciated. I really do need more work with the breathe controller ... It took me several takes just to get something I thought was acceptable. All of that was done track at a time using Sonar as an audio recorder, but I didn't do the usual audio editing ( panning, effects, eq, etc ), so it's a rough mix ( but it came out ok anyway ). I just love the Motif.. Fits me like a glove I think, and has just the right key feel for general use on most sounds.

Bebop.. I'm sorry.. I know I need to get me a REAL website so that this doesn't happen any more. If anyone is interested and can't get access to my site sometime today, I'll be glad to send the file to your email addy. It isn't a huge file, about 780 kb long. I'm outta here for the rest of the day... Gone fishin'

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 04-10-2003).]
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Sample of new jazz piece - 04/10/03 07:36 PM

AJ, It's too cold to go fishing, especially in upstate NY. The only thing that's running are steelhead, and they're too small to keep. Oh, the song--great job. Wish my fingers were that effecient on the best nights. As for recording with several takes, don't let that bother you one bit. Most of us record songs using more than one take. In fact, the only guy that claimed he didn't is dead now--Sinatra. And I'm not even sure that story was true. Keep up the good work.

Gary
Posted by: beachbum

Re: Sample of new jazz piece - 04/10/03 08:10 PM

Listening to you play. That's why I never claim to be a musician. My arranger allows me to compose usable music. Great job!

------------------
I don't steer the ship, I bail out the water.
DJ
http://www.chipos.com/beachbum/

Re: Sample of new jazz piece - 04/10/03 09:09 PM

Thanks again guys. I guess normal people would say that it has been too cold to go fishing here in the Catskills too, but.. I am obsessive about getting out there when the season begins, so I go trout fishing every April no matter what the conditions are. I just don't spend as much time out there as I would if the weather was better. I even managed to catch a few small browns this week ( stockies unfortunately ), but I really wanted to catch a few delicious Catskill native brookies, or luck into a few of the rainbows that come into the local streams from the Delaware river early in the season. No such luck there.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 04-10-2003).]
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: Sample of new jazz piece - 04/11/03 12:57 PM

AJ,
Thank you very kindly for Emailing me this latest jazz. It is really fine. You have a fine talent, and I will be looking forward to enjoying more of your work. I have often considered a breath controller having been a working horn man for a number of years but just never had the right keyboard to go for it.
Best to you and yours,
Bebop

Re: Sample of new jazz piece - 04/11/03 01:41 PM

My pleasure. Thanks for listening and for the reply. As I said in my email, coming from someone who knows and has played jazz for many years, it means a lot. I dabble in the genre a good bit, but I've never considered myself a serious traditional jazz player, although I love to listen to it and find that I am getting more and more fond of it as time goes by.

AJ
Posted by: Big Red

Re: Sample of new jazz piece - 04/11/03 04:35 PM

That's a good, tight, up-front, jammin' little piece there my man. Sounds really good - more please!
Posted by: eddiefromrotherham

Re: Sample of new jazz piece - 04/12/03 12:54 AM

Hi AJ,

I am a lover of jazz/swing and took a listen to your sample.
I like this one very much and will be having a listen to the others on your website.
I have also put together some of my own compositions but they use potted accompaniments from Yamaha PSR's, so they are not as authentic as your music.
Nevertherless, I like to do the extemping with the right hand!
Would love you to have a listen but at over 3MB's each I will pass that one and just enjoy your samples.
I intend to put them on my website but haven't got round to it yet.

cheers
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

my mail is virus-free thanks to Norton Antivirus2002

Re: Sample of new jazz piece - 04/12/03 02:37 AM

Thanks Red and Eddie..

Eddie,

Everything here isn't totally "authentic" either. In the first place, I am blowing into a plastic tube to try to emulate a sax with an electronic sample.. Also, I can't play the drums in real time on this jazz piece by hand ..either the real thing or electronically.. One of the three songs up at my MP3.com site ( After the storm ) is done entirely on the PA80, with a stock style playing everything except the "guitar" solos.. I used the tool ( arrangement ) for that song because it had the right feel and I don't feel that Because I used a style that the song is anything less than one I create from scratch. The style I used is probably done as well if not better than I could have done it myself.. My only objection to using styles in certain songs is that they don't always translate what I am trying to put into that piece. A style probably would niot have worked well for me on the new jazz sample.

You guys got me fired up to work on more.. it's much appreciated. See ya in a couple days.. safe weekend to all

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 04-12-2003).]
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Sample of new jazz piece - 04/17/03 09:57 AM

AJ, Impressive spontaneous live sounding emulation of a jazz jam. Look forward to hearing more. - Scott

Re: Sample of new jazz piece - 04/17/03 06:46 PM

Thanks Scott. Workin' on some more stuff now.
Best regards

AJ