OT: Vocal Trumpet Video

Posted by: Route 66

OT: Vocal Trumpet Video - 04/17/07 02:42 PM

Watch this "vocal trumpet" in a Quincy Jones song - Miss Celie's Blues. The performer is a brazilian musician named Denise Reis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qqBKgk_YmI&

-- José.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: OT: Vocal Trumpet Video - 04/17/07 02:52 PM

KOOOOOOOOLLLLL Beans!!!
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: OT: Vocal Trumpet Video - 04/17/07 02:56 PM

Very impressive.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: OT: Vocal Trumpet Video - 04/17/07 03:41 PM

Anybody figure out how that's done? I knew a guy a few year's back that could do that. Just think, I wouldn't even have to bring my trumpet anymore. Probably be a lot easier on the lip too )
Posted by: Route 66

Re: OT: Vocal Trumpet Video - 04/17/07 04:08 PM

One of the reasons I got interested is that I am able to do it for many years now (I've fooled some people with the emulation ). It's mainly done with the lips (did you notice Denise drinks some water before the performance, to get her lips wet?), with some help of the throat. Not easy to explain how it's done, the best is watch and try yourself.

-- José.
Posted by: squeak_D

Re: OT: Vocal Trumpet Video - 04/17/07 04:27 PM

HOLY CRAP! Man that left me speechless! I ran and got my wife the moment it was over. The look on my wife's face when a "trumpet" sound came from this womans lips was priceless. It's one thing to pull off the sound, but hit the right notes too!!!! All I can say is WOW!

Squeak
Posted by: FAEbGBD

Re: OT: Vocal Trumpet Video - 04/19/07 10:15 PM

The notes aren't coming from the lips. It's not like lip buzzing. She is singing the notes. The way she uses her mouth and lips is what creates the trumpet-like timbre, but the actual notes are being created by the voice. So if she can sing in tune, she can play mouth trumpet in tune.
Posted by: DanO1

Re: OT: Vocal Trumpet Video - 04/20/07 07:38 AM

I had my ass sound like a tuba once
Never thought to use my lips to sound like a trumpet .......