Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket

Posted by: brickboo

Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/23/04 06:05 PM

But he sure sings the heck out of All My Tommorrows.

Dave it's in the Realbook I down-loaded for BIAB. It reminds me of Darn That Dream. The chord changes are unconventional, extremely interesting and beautiful.

It a challenge to learn tunes like these. They keep music interesting.
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/23/04 10:30 PM

Hi Boo. Interested that you are still using BIAB. I recently installed version 2004. I use the program most days and visit the pgmusic forum which is worth a look in if you have not already done so.

Graham UK.
Posted by: brickboo

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/24/04 06:19 AM

Graham,
To me one of the better things BIAB does is the solo feature especially for the complicated chord passages on many of the things I enjoy playing. It is always giving me new licks to learn. It's amazing! It never hits a wrong note.

BIAB also is the best for using the create an intro feature. In jazz nothing swings right off the bat like having the rhythm section with a pedal bass vamp on the 2nd and 4th beat for a four bar turn-a-round. Every time I hear that bouncing rhythm, I want to jam. It works on any bouncy tune.

The Real Book has about 1000 tunes with chords and melody parts that can be printed out in sheet music form. I love it.

It even does a good job on three chord rock solos and such.

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 08-24-2004).]

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/24/04 07:33 AM

Boo. BIAB. Yes I agree on all the points you mentioned. The Solo Improvisation feature is also one of my favourites. Solo Around melody works great by dropping in a short solo in 1 or 2 bar chords when there is no melody.

Graham UK.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/24/04 07:52 AM

Boo......Dave could carry a tune on the planet PLUTO........
Great singers are just that GREAT SINGERS
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/24/04 10:17 AM

Aw shucks ....... Thanx, guys.

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/24/04 12:20 PM

UD. All has gone quiet regarding your Korg PAX.....come on tell all...is it still your latest board ?.

Graham UK.

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/24/04 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
UD. All has gone quiet regarding your Korg PAX.....come on tell all...is it still your latest board ?.Graham UK.

Uncle Dave
Member posted 08-24-2004 10:44 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"PA1X? We don;t need no stinkin' PA1x!
Both of mine are history.
I have a G1000 in the studio and Korg i5s in the closet and 3000lbs of cheese on stage! "

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/24/04 10:24 PM

Donny's right - the Korg is gone.
It has wonderful sounds and the best harmonizer on board, but there are some major shortcomings that I won't deal with:
1)Still can't go between seq and arr without stopping
2)sounds mute when changing certain settings
3)erratic drum fills still creep in
4)Heavy, heavy, heavy
5)no patterns in multi pads in original O/S
6)Touch screen dependant - ouch

It's one of the best sounding boards I ever had, but it just doesn;t have the playability ( buttons-wise ) that Yamaha offers. I wish someone woulld step up to the plate here, but so far .... I have to play what's out there. The 3k is OK, but just barely cutting it for me. Sigh....

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/24/04 11:39 PM

UD. Don't give up hope....possibly the new forthcoming Roland (Later this year I was told by Roland) top end arranger will have all the answers....hopefully for all of us.

Graham UK
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/25/04 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Donny's right - the Korg is gone. ....
I wish someone woulld step up to the plate here, but so far .... I have to play what's out there. The 3k is OK, but just barely cutting it for me. Sigh....

UD ... When the heck are YOU going to "step up to the plate" and get with an engineer and produce the "UD - SD/KN/PSR/X1/pro Model 1" ??? ... ...
t.

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/25/04 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
UD ... When the heck are YOU going to "step up to the plate" and get with an engineer and produce the "UD - SD/KN/PSR/X1/pro Model 1" ???

Yamaha.....Comon this is your chance to snatch up Uncle Dave & bring him into a design meeting and really boost your new arranger Keyboard division to heights unknown to Mankind with real "common sense" KB features for the "REAL" Gigging Musician!!! The time is Now!
Posted by: DonM

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/25/04 07:04 AM

Wait a minute! If Dave designs it, it will be perfect for HIM. I want one for ME!
What we need is a truly modular design that lets each of us totally customize to our own desires. Of course that will never happen from a large company because it wouldn't become obselete.
DonM

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/25/04 07:12 AM

Don.....get the music & crawfish ready ....

We're coming soon

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/25/04 07:21 AM

Can't wait for the road trip! I have alerted Hank The Lurker. We will be jammin' and eatin'. No carbs in Crawfish!
DonM
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/25/04 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
No carbs in Crawfish!
DonM

..... isn't that "crayfish" ?
t.

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/25/04 08:15 AM

...not in Louisiana!
DonM

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/25/04 08:37 AM

Quote:
Can't wait for the road trip! I have alerted Hank The Lurker. We will be jammin' and eatin'. No carbs in Crawfish!
DonM

Let's Rock This Town....Oh Yeah!

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/25/04 09:46 AM

Quote:
Wait a minute! If Dave designs it, it will be perfect for HIM. I want one for ME!

Naw ! I'd make one that have EVERYTHING for everybody! The few things that are missing in my dream machine all exist in todays technology - we just have to add them all into ONE unit. For $3000 bucks, we should be able to build a unit that covers all the bases. The problem is: these designers are not out playing everynight like we are! They need EXPERTS in the field ..... not the board room !

The UD4 ( for my 4 kids ) will also be available in Auburn !( That whole redhead thing, you know.... )
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/25/04 11:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DonM:
DonM
[/QUOTE

I always thought they were called "Crawdads" in the sunny south!

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/25/04 11:19 AM

In Oklahoma we called them crawdads. In Louisiana they are crawfish.
Colloquialism--I'm sure that's spelled wrong.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 08-25-2004).]
Posted by: BillErickson

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/25/04 12:59 PM

Aren't they also called "Mud Puppies"?? I seem to recall that term from when we lived in Texas.

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/25/04 02:17 PM

Another popular local name is Mudbug.
I grew up drinking Pop. Moved to South Arkansas and it was Soda Water. Moved to Louisiana and it's Coke, no matter what brand it is. In various parts of the U.S. I've heard it called Soda, Cola, and Soda Pop. It's all the same, Crawfish, Crawdads, Mudbugs, Crawfish. But if you call it by the wrong name in the wrong place people will know you're a Yankee!
DonM

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/25/04 02:21 PM

Quote:
people will know you're a Yankee!
DonM

Hahahahahahh Don, Forgeddaboutit when I get down there in January they'll really see some Yankeeizm!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-25-2004).]
Posted by: Frank L. Rosenthal

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/25/04 02:26 PM

DonM, I don't know how old your friends (DNJ, Fran, Travelin'Easy, UD and more) are. If they are getting on in years they could be at the slobbering stage while eating. What do you think things may look like after an evening of eating Mudbugs. Tragic!!!

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/25/04 03:45 PM

Well, none of them are in their teens! We'll use lobster bibs.
I'm sure Gary will bring a keg of Kickapoo Joy Juice.
DonM
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/25/04 05:01 PM

Absolutely!

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/25/04 09:40 PM

Forgeddaboutit.......
this Trip is gonna be great......don't worry Scott Yee we'll take pictures

Don make sure we have a 3k hooked up and running!!!

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/26/04 08:04 AM

Hank The Lurker has a brand new 3000. You can just plug in your USB drive. We can't wait.
By the way, if anybody else wants to come down at that time, we can make arrangements!
DonM
Posted by: Tom Cavanaugh

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/26/04 01:28 PM

Don,

Watch what you say about us Yankees.

Re: Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket - 08/26/04 08:52 PM

"Damn Yankees"
.Great show ..... my namesake is the star too ! (Joe Boyd)
Whatever Lola wants ........