Tyros 2 HD recording

Posted by: acoustictones

Tyros 2 HD recording - 09/01/05 07:20 AM

Does anyone know how this will be implemented? Or even any guesses?

Will it be as though they merged a Tyros with one of their AW series recorders? Or will it be much less robust than that?

Will it be little more than a simple 4 track total type of recorder so that we can record a few backing tracks to play along with or will it have a lot capabilities like Yamaha's other HD recorders?

Will it have at least one XLR input w/phantom power?

Will it allow us to record more than one track at a time?

If implemented properly, like an AW, this could be the one feture that would push me over the edge to purchase my first Tyros.

Thanks for any and all comments!!!

------------------
DJ
AcousticTones Recording Studios
Posted by: Roel

Re: Tyros 2 HD recording - 09/01/05 09:03 AM

DJ,
At the time I discussed similar questions with the Yamaha rep... no excact details were availlable. Just a few more days ... and I expect detailed specs will be presented on the official websites (demo's as well)

Re: Tyros 2 HD recording - 09/01/05 09:24 AM

I TURLY, TRULY, TRULY hope that they do EVERYTHING possible to impress us. I'm so afraid that all we're are going to see is a new and more expensive board that has little more than say some updated sound files, patches, styles, a few better specs on the Tyros' current feature set, etc.

I really am hoping that these guys are planning on PUSHING the envelope, and that they will TRULY blow us away with what they are presenting.

I know that this has been beat like a dead horse, but I am simply sick of everybody doing little more than repackaging their old products with marginal improvments and specs.

I like that a few people are at least coming close to doing something special out there. Such as things like the Fusion, Oasys, OpenLabs, LionStar, etc. But even some of these are hard for us to take since they either are to highly priced for us, or are not well supplied at our local stores that we can truly play around with them and have them sell themselves to us, some simply don't push the evelope far enough for others, and some (perhaps like the Oasys) seems to be not so revolutionary due to the fact that it just SEEMS to be a very BIG repackaging of some old and existing technologies along with some marginal inprovements. ****Please don't take the previous comments as my own thought. These are just some of the comments that we all seem to have seen flying around a lot of the forums that we all visit. Personally, I'd love to have an Oasys if I could afford it.****

So any other comments or guesses on how the HD system will be implemented are welcome and appreciated.

I would to see it look like a Tyros merged with one of their AW series. A truly merger of the 2 would be simply incredible, a good step forward, and a decent answer to pieces like the Fusion and the Oasys.

------------------
DJ
Posted by: Starkeeper

Re: Tyros 2 HD recording - 09/01/05 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by acoustictones:

I really am hoping that these guys are planning on PUSHING the envelope, and that they will TRULY blow us away with what they are presenting.

Hahahahahah.
The Tyros 2 is created by Yamaha.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Tyros 2 HD recording - 09/01/05 09:51 AM

TYROS 2...I wouldnt get to excited
Posted by: Roel

Re: Tyros 2 HD recording - 09/01/05 10:06 AM

DJ,
I myself do not have the 'desire' to have a full harddisk-recorder implemented in an arranger keyboard. For recording dedicated HDD recorders are available.... they are affordable, compact and "fit for purpose".

An example :
Would you think the same, when your TV set comes with an integrated Telephone, FAX, calculator and built-in microwave ??

In my view an arranger's most important function is .... arrange the music you play.

What I heard :
T2 porbably has a built-in 4 track HDD-recorder. On the prototype-picture there is no XLR-input at the back of T2.

Re: Tyros 2 HD recording - 09/01/05 05:00 PM

Well, maybe I'm just lookin' at it wrong, or differently.

I for one would love to see full blown HD recording added to a beast like the Tyros. Or at the LEAST being an option.

One of the purposes of having a great arranger keyboard is to be able to play a good solo gig, and I for one would love to be able to track some great backing instruments like guitar, vocals, and the like, rather than only using the tools that are currently available on most typical boards.

For example: A lot of the backing vocals that I would like to have are a lot more complex than simply singing along with a harmonizor on. They aren't meant to follow the lead singer.

Another example: I'm a much better guitar player than keyboard player. And rather than trying to fake my guitar parts on the Tyros I would love to lay down some really good guitar tracks to pla behind my keys.

I could go on and on, BUT I truly seeing having a full blow arranger and HD recording system ALL-IN-ONE system as a great things.

I am ALWAYS trying to bring less to a gig rather than more. I don't want to have to bring either a stand alone HD recorder, CD or MD players along. For what these arrangers are costing they should be able to do a lot more than they do.

And it's hard to believe that the R&D would be all that much. They already own all of the product and technology. They just need to come up with the marriage and a good user interface.

...But that's just one mans opinion...

------------------
DJ
Posted by: to the genesys

Re: Tyros 2 HD recording - 09/01/05 05:16 PM

Quote:
Well, maybe I'm just lookin' at it wrong, or differently.

I for one would love to see full blown HD recording added to a beast like the Tyros. Or at the LEAST being an option.

One of the purposes of having a great arranger keyboard is to be able to play a good solo gig, and I for one would love to be able to track some great backing instruments like guitar, vocals, and the like, rather than only using the tools that are currently available on most typical boards.

For example: A lot of the backing vocals that I would like to have are a lot more complex than simply singing along with a harmonizor on. They aren't meant to follow the lead singer.

Another example: I'm a much better guitar player than keyboard player. And rather than trying to fake my guitar parts on the Tyros I would love to lay down some really good guitar tracks to pla behind my keys.

I could go on and on, BUT I truly seeing having a full blow arranger and HD recording system ALL-IN-ONE system as a great things.

I am ALWAYS trying to bring less to a gig rather than more. I don't want to have to bring either a stand alone HD recorder, CD or MD players along. For what these arrangers are costing they should be able to do a lot more than they do.

And it's hard to believe that the R&D would be all that much. They already own all of the product and technology. They just need to come up with the marriage and a good user interface.

...But that's just one mans opinion...

I could not agree more.

But maybe I am just spoiled with the Genesys. But I could not see getting another arranger or workstation with out hard disk recording. I think being able to record wave files and also manipulate them (tempo synchronization and key transpose) are a plus to have on one keyboard instead of having to carry more than one unnecessary things on a gig.

Being able to use one’s own prerecorded back up vocals and or other instruments at a gig is great. I just wish that the manufacturers would allow for more than one track recording. So if you record the music on Saturday, you should be able to sing over it on Sunday and do some post recording editing on Monday.
Posted by: pianodano

Re: Tyros 2 HD recording - 09/01/05 05:25 PM

Sounds like many are requesting what is already availale via a fast computer and well chosen software. The good thing about this solution is that you get to design and put togeher exactly what "you" really want.

Danny

Re: Tyros 2 HD recording - 09/01/05 05:39 PM

Danny, I both agree and understand with your opinion, BUT...

I have gone back and forth so many times on trying to narrow it down to an All-In-One solutions verses getting everything I want into my laptop. But I keep coming back to the fact that I simply don't like taking a laptop out to the show. I would much rather have something built into the board.

I'm not really crazy about what I see in the Fusion, but to see Yamaha or Roland nail this idea down would be killer for me.

I have owned a number of the BR, VS, and AW recorders. And to see them implemented into a Motif, Tyros, G70, or Fantom format would simply awesome for how I like to work.

My dream would be the G70 with either a built in Br or VS style recorder. BUT that's just my dream...

------------------
DJ
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: Tyros 2 HD recording - 09/02/05 06:07 AM

I wonder if the Tyros 2 will be able to do what The Ketron SD1 and the Korg PA1X pro already do: to play a -wav file together with a style, maybe triggered by a multipad?

Re: Tyros 2 HD recording - 09/02/05 12:14 PM

We can onl hope it does that and a lot more.

Re: Tyros 2 HD recording - 09/02/05 08:11 PM

Quote:
Danny, I both agree and understand with your opinion, BUT...

I have gone back and forth so many times on trying to narrow it down to an All-In-One solutions verses getting everything I want into my laptop. But I keep coming back to the fact that I simply don't like taking a laptop out to the show. I would much rather have something built into the board.

I'm not really crazy about what I see in the Fusion, but to see Yamaha or Roland nail this idea down would be killer for me.

I have owned a number of the BR, VS, and AW recorders. And to see them implemented into a Motif, Tyros, G70, or Fantom format would simply awesome for how I like to work.

My dream would be the G70 with either a built in Br or VS style recorder. BUT that's just my dream...

I agree it is a hard decision to make. Once made and committed to, unbelievable sounds are at your disposal. I have spent a lifetime trying to capture the nuances of a well strummed or picked acoustical guitar. It is now avialble to me instantly with "Real Guitar". The strings, horns and associated orchestral instruments that are available with EW sypmhony cannot be differentiated form a real symphony. The awesome drums at my disposal in BFD drums are rarely duplicated in studios. The ease of intergrating it all in a DAW/sequencer such as Sonar Pro and controlling it all from a wonderful 88 note keyboard such as prokeys 88 is a true joy and frankly mindbloging.

I have tried it everyway available since it all started way back when. Tyros and Korg(but maily "Tyros") convinced me that the keyboard mfgrs really did not know what I wanted or, just did not care. It there was anything else I could have become aware of, I would have bought it. I will most likely purchase the new Yamaha "flagship", but it will not be to replace the system I have in place now.

The learning curve is steep, no doubt about it. But nobody builds anything that can approach the realism. I certainly would not consider a laptop (sure to raise ire) but the fastest rack mount machines available running drives with the fastest seek times on the market and all the memory they will hold.

Danny
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Tyros 2 HD recording - 09/03/05 08:08 AM

From what I've read during the past two years, both rumor and speculative, I too cannot get really excited about another generation of Tyros. For now, I'll reserve my comments until I can actually see, touch, feel and play the Tyros II live and in person.

As for taking a laptop on the job--I, and an increasing number of performers would not leave home without one. And, when a sunlight viewable laptop becomes available at a reasonable price, one that has a composite video input for real time viewing of the Yamaha's video output, I'll be the first kid on the block to have one. It never ceases to amaze me that keyboard manufacturers, all of them, go to such incredible extremes to produce a wonderful sounding product, then install the cheapest LCD display they can get their hands on--it just doesn't make sense! C'mon Yamaha, Korg, Gem, Roland and the rest of you manufacturers, get on the stick and give us a quality, sunlight-viewable, high-resolution, large, color display. We don't give a tinkers damned what it will add to the price. Hell, we're already paying more for a tankfull of gasoline that the cost of the best LCD display would cost.

Just my thoughts,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Re: Tyros 2 HD recording - 09/03/05 10:41 AM

Gary,

You're the Man.

Danny