My opinion of the PSR E403

Posted by: CoasterTim

My opinion of the PSR E403 - 07/24/06 08:24 AM

After looking around and trying to decide which "hold-me-over" board to buy I went with the new Yamaha E403. I am a keyboard hobbiest, not a pro. But I do have a fascination for keyboards, so in the past I have had all the major boards from Technics, Roland, and Yamaha. Right now, I have a 3 yr. old Roland digital piano (KR7), which I suppose, could be described as a full-blown 88-key VA5 in oak. I have no portable board at this time. I am waiting for the successor to the PSR3000.

All that to say I "needed" something cheap to cure my 'portable arranger keyboard withdrawal' after selling my PSR3000 to pay taxes (ouch). Hence, the purchase of the Yamaha E403 (paid $194 off the shelf, including a free power converter)
This is in no way a pro board, but in my opinion, any pro could make this board sound great. It's got just enough good stuff on it to make it sound fabulous for the price. Here are some of the cool and useable features:

- 61 'Yamaha' keys w/touch response
- Pitch bend
- 116 panel voices, 12 drum kits, 361 XGlite voices, 15 arpeggio voices
-"Sweet" Voices: tenor sax, sop sax, trumpet, flute, pan flute
- "Cool" Voices: Galaxy el. piano, organ, rotor organ
- Stereo sampled piano (PSR 2100 quality)
- USB to PC
- Arpeggiator! (50 patterns)
- 2 real-time control knobs (reverb, chorus, filter cutoff, filter resonance, attack time, release time, style and arp tempo, style cutoff, style resonance) Yes, you can create and save changes.
- dual, split voice, harmony
- 155 styles (user styles, too) (one intro/ending, 2 variations, auto fill)
- 6 track sequencer
- 32 voice poly
- 30 internal songs, user songs (up to 99)
- Music Database (256 song setups)
- Registration memory (8 banks, 2 types)
- Performance assistant technology
- Yamaha Education Suite
- Outputs: phone/out, DC in, USB, Sustain
- 2 two-way speakers (just OK)
- cool blue backlit screen & orange-glow buttons
- 15 lbs. (without the 6 D batteries)

Things I miss on this board: DSP, mixer, more intros & endings.

For the price, it is outstanding. I have mine connected to a 200 watt amp, 2 Samson Resolv65's, and my little Behringer 1202fx mixer and it sounds real fine.

This (under)$200 board, compared to the PSR3000, which cost nearly 8 times more, is really a bargain and a lot of fun.

Tim
Posted by: squeak_D

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 07/24/06 08:33 AM

For the price I'd say you got a great deal. Especially on the XG end. If you had XG works, or another good computer sequencing progams it will open up so much more for that keyboard.

I like that Yamaha includes that great sweet saprano sax on the lower models

Squeak

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 07/24/06 08:39 AM

Squeak,

I'm gonna look into XG works...I think you might have mentioned that before.

And yes, I agree with you on the Sweet Soprano Sax. I love that sound! I think if it were the only voice on the whole keyboard, it would be worth the $200 bucks!

Tim

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 07/24/06 08:50 AM

Ya know the funny thing is that I've come close myself to buying a lower budget Yammie just to get that Sweet Saprano Sax

In my opinion that is one of Yammie's BEST sweet voices to date. They nailed that one. I swear it's like Kenny G is singing to you through that voice

Actually let me add one more voice to that. That Sweet Oboe is also very impressive. Personally I love the Oboe (I know it's not a favorite instrument, but there's something about the sound that I love)

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 07-24-2006).]
Posted by: Starkeeper

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 07/24/06 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
In my opinion that is one of Yammie's BEST sweet voices to date. They nailed that one. I swear it's like Kenny G is singing to you through that voice
Squeak

Agree 100%. That Sweet Soprano sounds like Kenny G.

CoasterTim,
Can you elaborate on the arpeggiator (50 patterns)?
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 07-24-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 07-24-2006).]
Posted by: Starkeeper

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 07/24/06 09:11 AM

You can bet the PSR3100-76 , will have an arpeggiator. If this lower price keyboard has it and Roland has it, then the next Yamaha will have it.
Starkeeper

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 07/24/06 09:24 AM

That would be great if Yammie added an arpeggiator to the 3100. I know I've mentioned it in the past, but the only other arranger I can think of in the last eight years that Yamaha has made with an arpeggiator was the Original DJX. There were some preset arps on it, but you couldn't program your own--still they were useful.

If the 3100 has 76 keys--hell that alone will be worth it. Even though the 3000 didn't fit my needs for (more modern styles), if there were a 76 key version--I may have a closer look.

Anyways sorry to go off topic.

Tim thanks for your opinions on the E403--Can you post some demos of it in action for us?

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 07-24-2006).]
Posted by: jamman

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 07/24/06 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CoasterTim:
Yamaha E403 (paid $194 off the shelf, including a free power converter)

where?it's a geat price.

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 07/24/06 09:46 AM

ARPEGGIATOR - I will assume you all know what it does, but here is a list of the patterns:

UpOct1
DownOct1
UpDnOct2
SynArp1
SynArp2
SyncEcho
PulsLine
Random
Down&Up
SuperArp
AcidLine
TekEcho
VelGruv
Trance1
Trance2
SynChord
PfArp
PfBallad
PfChd8th
PfShfl
PfRock
Clavi
ChordUp
ChdDance
Salsa1
Salsa2
Reggae
Strum
GuitChd1
GuitChd2
GuitChd3
GuitArp
FngrPck1
FngrPck2
Samba
SlapBs
AcidBs
TranceBs
LatinBs
FunkyBs
PercArp
Perc1
Perc2
African
Tamb
R&B
Funk
HipHop
Latin
Arabic

The arpeggiator opens a whole new window of opportunity for creativity. I would bet the house (if I were a betting man) that most all new PSRs will have it.

Tim

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 07/24/06 09:54 AM

Jamman,

Bought mine at Sam Ash. MSRP is $349. Sam Ash price new is $199. Mine was already on the shelf out of the box and they had none in stock, so they offered it to me for $194 and threw in the optional power cord.

Tim

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 07/24/06 09:59 AM

Squeak,

I never posted a demo before. I'll have to figure out how to do that.

What exactly were you looking for? I'll see if I can make it happen.

Tim

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 07/24/06 10:05 AM

Actually I wasn't looking for anything specific. I thought other's may be interested in hearing the E403 (considering the price they go for--and what all it does).

You can post anything you choose There are several ways you can post some samples. You can plug directly into your computers line in jack, if you have audio recording software on your computer you can use that, if you have an external recorder such as hard disk, or SM/CF card recorders--you can use those to record the audio then transfer to the PC for sharing.

What I do is simple. I have a Fostex MR-8 digital recorder (CF card as recording medium). The unit records it at 44.1khz, and I can then use the Fostex to convert the file to a stereo wav file. I then take out the CF card, slide it into my 9 in 1 card reader on my computer. Drag the file to the desktop. Then use itunes to convert it to MP-3 (otherwise the actual wav. file turns out to be huge)..

Then I use yousentit.com to share the file with the Zone. That's of course my method--as I don't have my own website, or web space for that matter.

Squeak
Posted by: George V

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 07/24/06 10:39 AM

Hi Tim and congratulations on your new keeboard. I wish you many happy hours playing it.

With that soundset and full XG for that price!!! It's a great deal.
According to me, they are going to mix synth specs (arpegiator & knobs) into arranger keyboards. Future is bright.

Regards
George
Posted by: rolandfan

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 07/24/06 11:28 AM

i love the sweet soprano sax. My question is this...is the sweet soprano sax and other sweet voices of exactly the same high quality as the tyros..in other words are they identical to the tyros.. I wonder how it compares to roland e09

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 07/24/06 12:25 PM

Rolandfan,

The sweet sop voice sounds the same to me, as the one that's in the T2 and the one that was in the PSR3000.

How does what compare to the E09? The sop. sax or the entire keyboard? Roland's sop. sax don't hold a candle to the Yammy's sweet sax.

However, the E09 in general is a much more serious keyboard. Many of the best Roland voices live in the E09, including a fabulous stereo piano and beautiful stereo strings. It has a number of features not in the E403: 64 poly...multi-effects...16 track sequencer...L/R outs...MIDI in/out ports...more powerful speaker system to name a few. On the other hand, it costs almost 3x as much, too.
Lacking on the E09 is USB, arpeggiator, and the ability to import files (styles and songs).

That is my comparison from what I could gather and comprehend from internet info. Your experience may differ.

Tim

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 07/24/06 01:14 PM

Ive tried the e09 several times now. Its a good board but the soprano sax was nowhere near yamahas. That is so awesome that the soprano sax on your psr403 is like the tyros. When i had my tyros i used that sound more often than the others. Pity the e09 lacks a disk drive. Would u say the 403's styles intros endings fill ins compare favourably to the e09?

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 07/24/06 01:22 PM

Rolandfan,

That's a question of personal taste. However, I have not ever played an E09. They're rare in these parts...I have played the GW7, which is quite similar, I understand - and I like the uncomplicated simplicity of its styles. I also like the smooth, refined feel of the Yamaha styles. They are very different from each other, but both appealing to me. Bottom line - to each his own.

Tim

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 07/24/06 02:55 PM

Cool. Dont worry because the gw7 styles and sounds are identical. One thing ive always noticed here in south africa is that when Roland launch a new keyboard, all the shops have it within a few weeks...the g70 for example...but with yamaha the stores get it after 10 months.
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 07/31/06 11:25 PM

Hi Tim

I think you made a very wise choice with the 403.

This is the replacement for the PSR293 which I had picked for my beginning students on a budget. I went to five stores to see what was out there. The 403 isn't in town yet, but I did find a 400. It's about the same as the 293 also.

The sound is great. I really believe we could gig with that keyboard, it's not a Tyros 1 or 2 but, it seemed the best value out of everthing out their. It's really about the same as the DGX as far as sounds and operation as far as the arranger part goes with a few less keys.

I am curious how it sounds through your amp comparted to the PSR3000. My guess without trying it is probably astonishingly close for most ears.

Anyway my students who were at first hesitant, mainly because they thought they could find something better in a pawn shop for $50 (eeeek!), are all smiles about it now.

Scott
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 08/01/06 03:00 AM

Hi Tim,
you could midi it to your computer, use OMB software & you could have lots of additional psr styles including 3 intro'/endings & 4 variations.

best wishes
Rikki

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 08/01/06 03:58 AM

Rikki,

I'm just about ready to enter the computer music software world, which at this point in time is totally foreign to me, however I am intrigued by it.

I just recently bought an mp3 player/recorder and am mastering that right now. Sequencing is next on the list!

I may need you to help me take my first baby steps when I'm ready to take that plunge.

Tim

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 08/01/06 04:12 AM

"I am curious how it sounds through your amp compared to the PSR3000. My guess without trying it is probably astonishingly close for most ears."

Scott, it's been some time since I've had the 3000, but this comes so close I can't distinguish the audio sound as being any different. I'm still amazed at what this board offers. I'm really going to have to be 'wowed' if I'm gonna spend hundreds more for the upcoming 3100.

Tim

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 08/01/06 09:37 AM

Hi Tim

Interesting answer, but it doesn't surprise me. The sound quality I'm hearing through the onboard speakers on my students PSR293, the 403's predecessor, basically told me the same thing.
Posted by: Gibson1

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 08/01/06 10:03 AM

Is the new YPG-225 similar to the PSR 403 but with 76 keys?

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 08/01/06 12:31 PM

It's very similar. I tried the YPG225 and compared it to the PSRE403 and was tempted to buy it instead. But the features that steered me to the 403 was the arpeggiator and the two real-time control knobs. The big plus on the YPG is the 76 keys...rare on any Yamaha arranger.

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 08/01/06 01:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked was that my wife wants to learn to play piano/keyboard and I want all of the fun sounds for backing tracks(I'm a guitarist). Does the line out on the PSR/YPG work well for outside amplification? i.e. keyboard amps, PA's. I notice both only have one headphone/output plug. I've been warned that headphone outs do not lend themselves to good outside amplification.

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 08/01/06 07:05 PM

I have my E403 connected via the headphone output to my 200watt amp & Resolv65 speakers and it works just fine.

However, since your wife wants to learn to play, I would suggest the YPG625 with 88 keys and weighted keyboard action. It's much closer to a real piano.

go here: http://yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%253D65229%2526CTID%253D205200%2526CNTYP%253DPRODUCT,00.html

Tim

[This message has been edited by CoasterTim (edited 08-01-2006).]

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 08/01/06 07:31 PM

Hi Tim,
I wasn't actually referring to using OMB for sequencing, but for actually playing in realtime. ( You can also use it as a very basic sequencer & as an arranger similar to BIAB where you dropn drag chords & style parts))

ie midi the keyboard to computer/omb software, and use the keyboard
for trigerring left hand chords & playing right hand melody
& also as the soundsource for omb ( psr ) styles.
OMB software actually performs the arranger functions instead of your keyboard.
It's a bit more cumbersome using a computer keyboard to trigger variations, intro's endings etc ( in realtime)
but the advantage would be that you could use the vast array of psr styles available & you could have the 3 intro's /endings & 4 variations available.

I don't think you'd have too much hassle playing styles from earlier keyboards like the psr2000 etc the only ones that probably would cause hassles are styles with mega voices.
32 note polyphony could maybe cause problems with very busy styles.

I used to use a similar setup with my DGX305. Having xglite soundsource really helped.

best wishes
Rikki

I used to use a similar setup
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CoasterTim:
[B]Rikki,

I'm just about ready to enter the computer music software world, which at this point in time is totally foreign to me, however I am intrigued by it.

I just recently bought an mp3 player/recorder and am mastering that right now. Sequencing is next on the list!

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 08/01/06 10:18 PM

Thanks CoasterTim for the info. I'll look into the 625.

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 08/01/06 10:30 PM

Rikki

That is a very interesting idea now that I am kind of playing around with soft arrangers.

I wonder if that would be any easier than when I tried to use a Technics KN2600 for styles and use the Tyros for its better sounds?

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 08/02/06 01:16 AM

Hi Scott,
trying to use 2 arranger keyboards midied together is not easy, especially if you're expecting one to play the styles & the other to be the soundsource for those styles.
OMB would be better suited to do that, but probably not much point using OMB with Tyros soundsource. You'd sort of be doubling up on the one kind of keyboard.

If you had a Roland or Ketron etc , then omb gives you the option of having a defacto psr.

If you have an inexpensive psr or dgx, OMB gives you functions not available on these less expensive keyboards, stuff like style editing etc.

In my case, apart from using soundfounts as a soundsource for OMB, I also use my Yamaha Clavinova CLP170 as controller & soundsource.
My Clav doesn't have styles, but using it with OMB gives me a defacto CVP. It does have a full xg soundset, so I don't need to do quite as much tweaking as I would if it only had GM sounds.
I also use my Ketron SD1 with OMB. Rather than converting a psr style to Ketron format ( conversions don't always work), I use OMB as arranger & Ketron as soundsource. The drums require a bit more tweaking because they're GM.

I sometimes use my Clavinova as controller & for piano melody (and use sd1 as soundsource for the omb styles.

The program is very versatile.

I think nearly any multi timbral, midi keyboard or synth can become a defacto psr.
The amount of tweaking the styles will require depends on whether the keyboard/synth/soundmodule is GM or XG.
Using a hardware soundsource isn't quite as complicated to get the hang of as a softsynth..

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Rikki

That is a very interesting idea now that I am kind of playing around with soft arrangers.

I wonder if that would be any easier than when I tried to use a Technics KN2600 for styles and use the Tyros for its better sounds?

Re: My opinion of the PSR E403 - 08/06/06 02:48 PM

Hi Tim,
just wondering how many .sty files can actually be transferred from p.c. into the keyboard.
I gather you can only "load" and play one user style at a time ( style 156) but on page 74 of the manual.

2. states " If multiple loadable style files have been transferred etc "

gives one the impression you can transferr a number of your favourite user styles across to the keyboard and then you just pick, & load the one you want to play as style 156.
It would be a pain to have to have the pc connected every time you want to load a user style, but if you can transferr a number of styles, that would be great.
best wishes
rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CoasterTim:
[B]