Tyros and USB

Posted by: frankieve

Tyros and USB - 09/03/03 09:30 AM

Just started using the Tyros, I connected to my laptop with the USB cable and loaded the Yamaha USB driver and programs. I was able to upgrade the OS system using the USB, but when I opened the File utility program, it took a while, then it saw the hard drive and partitions, but when I clicked on the folders it would lock up.

I read on one of the Tyros forums that if I hold down the song finder button while powering up the Tyros I can see it on my laptop as a drive and move files that way/

anyone know if that is true
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Tyros and USB - 09/03/03 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
Just started using the Tyros, I connected to my laptop with the USB cable and loaded the Yamaha USB driver and programs. I was able to upgrade the OS system using the USB, but when I opened the File utility program, it took a while, then it saw the hard drive and partitions, but when I clicked on the folders it would lock up.

I had the same problem. It seems the connection through the File Utility Software is not very stable. In order to improve your chances of success, the best you can do is to download and install the latest Yamaha USB Midi Driver (2.09, I think).

Quote:
I read on one of the Tyros forums that if I hold down the song finder button while powering up the Tyros I can see it on my laptop as a drive and move files that way/

anyone know if that is true

That's true if you have version 1.20 of the OS - that's one of the new features. However while it does function as announced with my desktop computer, it doesn't work with my laptop. Still a mistery to me... Anyway when you'll discover this transfer mode, you'll forget the File Utility Program. Much faster!

-- JosÃĐ.

[This message has been edited by matias (edited 09-03-2003).]

Re: Tyros and USB - 09/03/03 10:40 AM

I did the upgrade so I do have the latest OP system, hopefully I can get the harddrive to appear on my laptop, that would be great.

Where can I get the yamaha USB update?
I am assuming at yamaha.com?

Thanks

Re: Tyros and USB - 09/03/03 10:48 AM

Scott, your good, that makes alot of sense. I did get my hard drive from the PSR hard drive guy. He told me he formatted then partition the drive, which does display as seperate harddrives in my Tyros screen.

Do you have to hold down the songfinder button to be able to see the Hard drive or as soon as you plug in the USB it works?

Thanks
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Tyros and USB - 09/03/03 10:49 AM

hi frankieve:

Here's a link to the download site for Yamaha USB Midi Drivers: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/proaudio/homeenglish/download/utility_lib/usb_midi /top_w.htm

I'm running Yamaha USB Midi Driver 2.08 (2.08 specifically lists the Tyros as a supported device while 2.09 does not) with Tyros OS 1.20 and have no problems accessing my Tyros HD directly within Windows Explorer. I'm able to from the PC: quickly tranasfer data back and forth between PC & Tyros, edit Tyros folder/file names, move & re-organize , and perform routine backups of all Tyros files to CD. My Tyros hard drive (IBM Travelstar) consists of one single partition because this is what the built into the Tyros 'HD format utility' does. I'm wondering if your problem might be due to the fact that your hard drive is partitioned into multiple sectors rather than a single sector.

Scott

Re: Tyros and USB - 09/03/03 10:57 AM

Quote:

Do you have to hold down the songfinder button to be able to see the Hard drive or as soon as you plug in the USB it works?

You only need to hold down the MusicFinder button initially upon Tyros boot up to get into: "USB Storage Mode". From then on, the Tyros HD should simply appear in 'My Computer' as a hard drive letter .

Re: Tyros and USB - 09/04/03 08:58 AM

Thanks Scott,

Works great, except I forgot the 250 file limit and put everything on the drive to realize it the Tyros will not recognize, wow I'm stupid.

Scott I have another question if you don't mind.

1 Can you rename the midi files so that the name is longer than 7 characters, or can the file be displayed with the score sheet name instead of the file name?

2 How do you set up a direct access to the midi file section, so far I hit the corresponding button next to the screen icon of song, then select the drive, then folder then song. Can I learn a macro or soemthing so I hit a button and bam there I am .

3 Is there a search function for midi files, since you can have a pretty extensive list of midi files, in folders, like an alphebetical search?

Thanks in advance

Re: Tyros and USB - 09/04/03 10:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks Scott, Works great, except I forgot the 250 file limit and put everything on the drive to realize it the Tyros will not recognize.

Great to hear you were able to solve the mystery.

Quote:

1 Can you rename the midi files so that the name is longer than 7 characters, or can the file be displayed with the score sheet name instead of the file name?

Yes, but the Tyros LCD 'song selection window' supports displaying the complete song title of up to 15 characters only. Anything more will be truncated. The lyric & score sheet windows however, displays more than 15 characters and will typically display the entire song name of even those longer song titles.

Quote:

2 How do you set up a direct access to the midi file section, so far I hit the corresponding button next to the screen icon of song, then select the drive, then folder then song. Can I learn a macro or soemthing so I hit a button and bam there I am .

3 Is there a search function for midi files, since you can have a pretty extensive list of midi files, in folders, like an alphebetical search?

Page 43 & 88 of the Tyros owners manual covers midi song playback. As I pretty much exclusively play in auto accompaniment mode and rarely utilize midi files in performance, I'm really not the best person to answer these questions, so hopefully someone else can provide more details.

Scott
Posted by: Micco

Re: Tyros and USB - 09/05/03 09:10 AM

I am still having problems with Yamaha File Utility. The internal HD of the TYROS doesnīt appear on the list. I have even installed the Windows XP and all drivers again, but still the problem appears. This is very annoying. Some people say that the File Utility is useless, because you can use the USB transfer mode (if you have OS 1.20), which is much faster, but I disagree. With USB transfer mode you can not backup your registerations and other stuff directly. Thatīs why I would need the File Utility, but it doesnīt works. Yamahas software has always been very poor.
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: Tyros and USB - 09/05/03 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Micco:
because you can use the USB transfer mode (if you have OS 1.20), which is much faster, but I disagree. With USB transfer mode you can not backup your registerations and other stuff directly.

Micco,

I'm able to use the USB Transfer Mode to backup the ENTIRE hard disk in the Tyros to my computer in about 1/10th the time it takes the file utility. I can see all my directories, including registrations this way.

Are you holding down the Music Finder button when you start the Tyros?

Al
Posted by: Micco

Re: Tyros and USB - 09/06/03 10:24 AM

I donīt have any problems with the USB transfer mode. I can backup the internal HD of the TYROS with it, but I can not backup the internal memory of the TYROS with the USB transfer mode. Thatīs why I need the File Utility.