Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs

Posted by: lukitoh

Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 08/27/04 10:01 PM

Anybody has NEW great songs to suggest ? I play keyboards and lead worship for small groups.

Lately I have been enjoying:
-Open Up the Sky by Lenny LeBlanc and friend
-You Are Good by Israel Houghton
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 08/29/04 06:46 PM

lukitoh ... I don't play in a Church, but a niece of mine sent this site address ... pretty song ...
http://www.andiesisle.com/imagine.html

t.
Posted by: PraiseTheLord

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 08/29/04 07:22 PM

Among other things, I played Step by Step at Church today (written by Beaker, performed by Rich Mullins) which is a great song; also sang and played the Eddie Espinosa arrangement to Change My Heart which is one of my favorites.

------------------
Graham
Posted by: Starkeeper

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 08/30/04 07:13 AM

I don't play at church, but I love praise & worship. At service on Sunday the worship team played "Great & Mighty is he" by Todd Pettygrove. I think this is a new one on me. A couple of months back a singer in our church sang "Jesus, Draw me close" and I have been playing it ever since. Here is a MIDI file of that song: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Meadows/2360/midi.html. It is very simple, but I really like it. Our worship team sing most of the titles from "Revival in Belfast" by Robin Mark.
Starkeeper
Posted by: RW

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 08/30/04 07:22 AM

lukitoh,

what's up? I play in my church's praise band and I too am on the look out for new songs all the time. May I suggest a couple websites:
www.worshiptogether.com www.worshipideas.com

I get ideas from both of these sites regularly. Often time they give away free sheet music , midi files and mp3's of the songs which it totally cool.

StarKeeper.
We just introduced "Jesus Draw Me Close" this past month. Excellent tune.

Peace
Bob
<><
Posted by: CoasterTim

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 08/30/04 08:32 AM

I just played my Tyros in a piano/kbd duet yesterday in our worship service. The song we played was "The Power of Your Love" (Maranatha! Music) The arrangement came from a book entitled, "Acoustic and Electric" by Word Music. The book contains contemporary prais and worship songs arranged for piano and keyboard. Great resource for offertories or preludes!

Our worship teams' current favorites include "God of Wonders", "Be Unto Your Name", "In Christ Alone, and "This Kingdom".

BTW - We are starting our communion service this coming Sunday with "Jesus Draw Me Close".

I'm happy to see others sharing their comments regarding praise and worship music. Maybe some day there will be a new forum here dedicated to this genre.

Tim
Posted by: keybplayer

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 08/30/04 09:23 AM

Although I don't play on a church worship team I do enjoy playing songs of a religious and spiritual nature.

Here are two songs I completed recently on my Tyros keyboard; that, due to the SZ Hard Drive crash I wasn't able to post.... until now. This would be a good thread to post them in too. The songs are "As the Deer" and "You Alone" which is an original. I am using internal Styles plus all the instruments I'm playing are from the Tyros. Also, I set up both songs using Registrations.

As the Deer

You Alone

The first song is a slow ballad (worship) type song while the second is a lively upbeat (praise) type song.

I recorded both songs in realtime to my Tyros' sequencer plus the second song, i.e. "You Alone" I added some Multipads in realtime when recording to my PC multitracking software. I hope you enjoy them! Thanks Han 'lukitoh' for bringing up this topic.

Best regards,
Mike
Posted by: Tom Cavanaugh

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 08/30/04 11:19 AM

Lukitoh,

I'll get you our praise band songlist later. I just don't have it memorized.

Tom

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 08/30/04 11:57 AM

I like many of the old songs and we play them a lot too.

Have you guys listened to some of the newer songs ? I think they are outstanding. Great rythms, words, etc. Keep an open mind and after you listen to it a few times, you will be hooked !

Go to audiblefaith and check out "Open up the Sky" and also "You are Good" by Israel Houghton
http://www.audiblefaith.com/sitesearch

People at our congregation, old and young jumped up and down with these songs. They are new songs but I think they will be a classic after a while.

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 08/30/04 11:40 PM

Here is another song I made about a month ago on my Tyros. I am playing all the Choir voices plus I layered my Tyros' Hammond X77 Organ about a third way into the song.

Everything is done in realtime and recorded directly to my PC multitrack recording software.

Come Lord

PS: I debated about posting this song because it may have a tendency to sound a little unnatural on lesser quality PC speakers and/or you don't have a quality Sub Woofer with your PC speakers. If you have professional quality headphones such as the Sennheiser HD 280PRO headphones, etc. or a quality external sound system to play it through then you should not experience any problems.

Best regards,
Mike

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 08/31/04 07:31 AM

Mike,
Great job on Come Lord. I accidentally came upon a midi file of this song on the web,a while back, and went, WOW, what a beautifull song. How did you find this song? Where can I find the chords and words to this song? Who wrote it? Is it available commercially on a CD?
Starkeeper

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 08/31/04 08:52 AM

Hi Kevin,

Here is the Chord lead sheet in .pdf. You will need a .pdf reader:

Lead Sheet of "Come Lord"

PS: You will need to scroll down to find the lead sheet.

Here is the .mp3 full version of "Come Lord":

"Come Lord" Full Version/w Vocals

Best regards,
Mike

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 08/31/04 10:58 AM

Thanks for the PDF file and MP3 link Mike. Wow!! Giving away a such a beautiful song for FREE. Crazy christians. (Not meant as an insult).
Kevin

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/01/04 06:02 AM

Kevin, that's the idea - the more people that have access to the music and praising our Lord the better, the rest is just money!!

------------------
Graham
Posted by: vclocke

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/01/04 11:15 PM

Mike -

What is an "mpga" file. And I can't save it to my file where I send downloads like this. It wants to go to "temporary files". I look forward to hearing it !!

vc

------------------
Vern

[This message has been edited by vclocke (edited 09-01-2004).]

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/02/04 01:34 PM

Vern,

You should be able to just right click the link and choose "Save As" or "Save Target As" and then save it to the desired folder on your hard drive.

Best regards,
Mike
Posted by: RW

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/02/04 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PraiseTheLord:
Kevin, that's the idea - the more people that have access to the music and praising our Lord the better, the rest is just money!!

I'm with you on that one Graham. Anything I write, is not mine anyway. It belongs to the Lord. "Seek ye first" brother that's my motto.!

Bob
<><

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/02/04 10:54 PM

Thanks Mike,

Does the "mpga" file play the same as an "Mp3"?

vc
Posted by: RyanS

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/03/04 03:24 PM

lukitoh, as far as "new" stuff, I'm not sure how new you mean, I don't keep up with contemporary christian music. But we sing several at our church, I'll list some below.

Bless Your Name
Bringing My Needs
Everything
For Such A Time As This
Glorify The Lord
Glorify The Lord With Me
He Speaks Peace To Me
Here I Am To Worship
I Feel The Joy
I Give Myself To You
I Have A Friend
I Have Made My Decision
I'm Lookin For A Miracle
Let It Rain
Let It Rise
Lord I Lift Your Name On High
Lord Just To Be In Your Presence
Magnify Jesus
Make Me In Your Image
More Than Enough
No Word But Holy
Oh Most High
Praise Medley
Rain On Us
Shake The Foundation
Shout
This Is How We Overcome
This Is How We Praise Him
We Sing Worthy
Welcome Holy Spirit
When I Think About The Lord
You Deserve The Glory
Because of Who You Are
Breathe On Me
Change Me Lord
Draw Me Close To You
Dwelling Places
Giving You Glory
He Is Here
Holy, Holy, Holy
I Want To Be More Like You
I've Got A Praise
Like A Mighty Rushing Wind
Lord We Give You Glory
This Is Holy Ground
We Declare Your Glory
We Have The Victory
We Worship You
You Are Awesome
You Are Good
You Are

That's about 90 percent of the songs we sing. Others are either ones in our book we don't have listed or they're older chorus's that aren't in our book.

I have sheet music/chords for every song listed above if you want it just let me know.

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/03/04 09:45 PM

RyanS,

If your music listed above is available (either sheet music and/or chords) I would appreciate it if I could buy copies from you.

Thanks !!

vc

[This message has been edited by vclocke (edited 09-03-2004).]
Posted by: RyanS

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/03/04 11:18 PM

Nah, don't worry about the money. It's all scanned into my computer so I can just zip it up and send it to you.

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/04/04 10:37 AM

Hey guys...

I noticed discussion regarding giving or selling worship songs to each other. I know your intentions are all in the spirit of generosity and I don't want to be a wet blanket here, but please be careful regarding the copying or selling of copyrighted material...in this case, worship music. Just about all those worship songs mentioned are copyrighted.
That means that, under U.S. law, you do not have permission to give, sell, make copies of, or transmit in any form, the words or music of any song that is copyrited, unless you get permission from the OWNER of the copyright. To do so is to prevent the person(s) who wrote that song from getting paid for the use of their song. In other words, you're stealing.
That's why the organization CCLI was formed, to make it easy and legal to make copies of songs for use in worship. Check them out at CCLI.com. Our church puchases a license every year in order that we can use the thousands of songs that are out there. The cost is minimal.
For the individual who wants copies of songs, they are available for purchase singly or in book form at your local Christian music supplier or online.
I took the time to explain this in case you were interested in complying with the law and honoring your brothers and sisters who work hard at writing these songs. There are very stiff fines for those who get caught. Granted, most do not get caught. So why bother or worry about it? The answer to that is up to your conscience.

Tim
Posted by: R-F

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/05/04 05:19 PM

Hi,
well, I understand, that christian composer's have some rights too.
But I think, they wrote the songs to serve God. It will not match with this intention, to forbid the using of the songs under some conditions "Pay money and you are allowed to serve God using my song".
I will not say, illegal copies are right, but I think, some things are more important than copyright.
What may we think, if a christian song writer would take a court, because illegal copies, not used to make money but to serve God? "Right done, because the law says, it was illegal"? Or maybe "What kind of christian is this, serving God or money?"
So some christians maybe ask "May I play a pretender's song?"
Don't forget, when the people don't buy printed music, because they refrain from playing the songs, one can't take a court. to get the money.

------------------
Regards
RF

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/07/04 01:40 PM

Remember the composers are working musicians like us, so if they have not authorized release of copyright (many do), then they need the income just like we do! It may be a ministry, and certainly a worthy occupation, but it still deserves to be paid.

------------------
Graham

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/07/04 01:46 PM

I have been looking for ideas for a Christmas music offering and found King of Glory, King of Love created by Sue Smith, David Moffitt and Travis Cottrell. This is wonderful, and I would recommend it to you all. A complete 60 minute program, and the mixture of music and the arrangements are terrific. Very upbeat, very praiseful (word?), .........

I am rearranging it for our small group, but the accompaniment arrangements sound terrific on my Tyros.

------------------
Graham

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/07/04 02:21 PM

Ryan,

Your list looks very up to date ! Thanks.

You have some old ones but your new songs are what we call in the worship circles something like top hits ! Majority of people would likely respond to those songs and would never be considered outdated/ancient. Our group sang "Here I am to worship" several times recently. Songs like Shout to the Lord is getting weary after all these years but still used occassionally.

What websites do you guys get lots of ideas from ? Preferably free, that has some of the mp3's, lyrics, chords, etc.

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/08/04 08:02 AM

Graham,

I really appreciate anything that Travis Cottrel does. He's one of my favorite worship leaders at this time. Who publishes the work you mentioned? I'd love to hear it.

BTW- you're arranging the whole thing on your TYROS? That's awesome. Sounds like a lot of work. Would love to hear it.

Tim

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/08/04 08:10 AM

Guys,

If you're looking for ideas, check out www.worshiptogether.com
The website is extensive.

At our church, our philosophy favors a 'blended' style of music...that is the best of the old and the best of the new. We use music from www.G3worship.com
It offers arrangements of fresh new songs and also contemporary arrangements of popular hymns. The subscription includes two CDs every quarter. On those CDs are everything you need: Demos, split trax, PDF files with complete orchestration of each song, and Powerpoint files for each song. The fee is $150 per year. It's worked really well for us. Just thot I'd tell you about it.

Tim

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/08/04 11:10 AM

Brentwood-Benson publish King of Glory, King of Love.
http://www.brentwoodbenson.com/view_item.asp?idproduct=457570656

There are some wonderful stand-alone songs such as Travis' Bring Salvation, SonicFlood's Resonate Your Glory and Newsboys' He Reigns (which we did at church earlier this year). I like the way it mixes in Away in a manger, O come all ye faithful, Hallelujah chorus........ which will appeal to the traditionalists as well.

It sure is a lot of work arranging this performance for us, but I love doing it. I scan the original into Sibelius notation software, and work from there. Then I end up buying copies of the original music that we file at church, nobody ever uses, but keeps the copyright issues legal.

I have to make a lot out of a little it's just me, a guitarist and 4 singers to lead the worship. I usually play a G-1000 that I leave at church, but take my Tyros in on special occasions (especially if my wife is going to sing a solo).

------------------
Graham

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/08/04 11:14 AM

Tim, we use song discovery which is pretty good too. I'll look into the one you recommend as well. Have you ever done a comparison?
http://www.songdiscovery.com/prod-fea.htm

------------------
Graham

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/08/04 11:18 AM

PS on King of Glory, King of Love.

Buy the preview pack for $10. It's worth it just to listen to the CD, plus you get the full SATB plus accompaniment (piano and chord symbols)

------------------
Graham

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/08/04 01:47 PM

Graham,

I use Song Discovery also. I find for our situation (blended) G3 is more useful, but I find a real gem in Song Discovery from time to time, too. The thing I appreciate about G3 is that the complete charts are included for everything from small band to full orchestra.

Thanks for the info on the Christmas worship musical. Our choir usually does a Christmas musical every year, but this year I'm going to do more of a concert setting, using the other groups from the church in addition to the adult choir. (teen choir, small ensembles, etc.) Lots more work, but worth it.

Tim
Posted by: cassp

Re: Any contemporary church kybd players ? - Top songs - 09/08/04 02:06 PM

Came across this site; thought you might be interested - http://www.higherpraise.com/