PSR 9000 vs EM 2000 vs ???

Posted by: Bluezplayer

PSR 9000 vs EM 2000 vs ??? - 11/11/00 10:49 AM

Trying to decide which board to purchase. I have a PSR 740 at this time. In spite of the
sometimes negative comments I see about it I like the board and think its pretty good for the money. The sounds are very good and the styles are good . I have plenty of them too.. converted from other boards, my own etc.... It also works very well in tandem with the xg works seq on my puter which has good styles of its own and the ability to use any of the other SFF styles available on the net . The board is rather limited though. Sometimes though I want to compose away from the puter, so I don't care for the limitations of the sequencer ( Few real editing abilities, no step sequencing...cant punch in to change or mix styles in song record mode in real time... and for some unkown reason my punch in / out function is not working at all...) and the inability to modify styles in an external sequencer without having to split the styles from the CASM sections and then reinsert them. I have programs on the comp to help do all this stuff but again I'd like more functionality in a board itself... Also, are the sounds better on the higher end boards ( not with the built in speakers but the actual sounds going through the same mixer and amp) ? So how much of an upgrade would the PSR 9000, EM2000 or other board be ( x1 - kn - korg series come to mind ...), and how do they compare against each other? How about the sounds and sampling capabilities ? The most frustrating thing is that I dont think that there is a store within 100 miles of me that carries these boards. Sam Ash ( 80 miles away ) has the EM 2000 but no other higher end arrangers that Im aware of. I live in upstate NY near the Pa border in Sullivan county. Where is the closest store where I can try these boards ?? ( Im afraid of the answer..lol ) I would like to try the x1 and KN stuff as well, spend some time with all of them. If I am going to invest in a board I probably won't get a shot at a new one again for quite some time, so I would like to get the one that is best for ME..
Just how does someone try these things out other than downloading sample files to hear the sounds off of the net? If it's driving 100 or more miles I dont think I am going to like the answer to THAT one either, but if I HAVE to I'd at least like to find a place that has ALL or at least most of the boards I want to try out.
Al M
Posted by: Clif Anderson

Re: PSR 9000 vs EM 2000 vs ??? - 11/11/00 10:41 PM

Just to add to your confusion, the Korg PA-80 is supposed to be good for composing. It should be available first quarter next year.
Posted by: TomTomSF

Re: PSR 9000 vs EM 2000 vs ??? - 11/12/00 10:57 AM

Al
NYC is near you. Plan a day trip to check out all the keyboards you're interested in. NYC should have them all somewhere (though probably not in the same place).
You will probably find that the other boards offer many great features - but none will be perfect. You have to choose what you like the best.
Tom
Posted by: George Kaye

Re: PSR 9000 vs EM 2000 vs ??? - 11/12/00 11:13 AM

Al,
Before driving all around New York, make some phone calls and find out which store really knows all the products you want to check out. My experience with most of my customers here in California, is that many stores carry these arranger high end products, but most do not have qualified salespeople to demonstrate their features. I find that when customers call me on the phone, they are often asking questions which help them determine whether or not I know my stuff! Do yourself a favor and use the phone before just driving around. You might find that you save yourself a lot of time.
I am very familiar with both the EM2000 and the PSR 9000. You will find that coming from the 740, you will probably favor the 9000. In version 2.0 and above, step time sequencing has been added, and the sequencer is a full function sequencer as compared to the 740, which only has limited editing features. The 126 note polyphony is also much better than the 64 of the EM2000. One of the features I like best about the 9000 is that when you select a new voice, the perfect effects also come in with the newly selected voice. In Roland's way of doing things, the effects on the last performance you selected, stay with the voice, except for it's insert effect which can be turned on or off with a button. You also will probably not like the rolands rather small screen to guide you through the different pages and paramaters. However, given today's price of the EM2000, which has dropped to almost half what it was selling for just 3 or 4 months ago, you might not want to spend as much as the 9000 sells for.
It is correct that the new PA 80 from Korg which will sell for around $2000.00 will have a very good sequencer, but it has been moved back now for delivery not until after January. I don't know anyone who has been able to sample this product yet, because even at last July's summer NAMM show here in the US, the demo unit was an empty case.
I would also mention the X1 by Solton and the VA5 or VA7 from Roland, but based on your liking the PSR 740, which I also think is a great value keyboard, I would stongly suggest the PSR 9000 for your current needs and beyond.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

Re: PSR 9000 vs EM 2000 vs ??? - 11/13/00 08:01 AM

Thanks for the responses. Although I am only 2 hrs from the city, and am very familiar with it, having lived there years ago, I am not able at this pouint to locate any stores that carry most of the top end boards. I would hope there are some, but am not sure.
I am also a licensed radio amateur, and although I am no longer as active in the hobby as I once was, I can recall years ago having to drive to Northern Connecticut and central Pa just to try out gear beacuse there wasn't a single store in The metro NY area who had the higher end gear. I hope this is not true with the arrangers as well.
I did see the EM2000 at a Sam Ash store, but noone there had a clue as how to operate it.
Maybe I will wait til the PA80 comes out as well and try it ( if I can find one .....)
Thanks again
Al M
Posted by: Dnj

Re: PSR 9000 vs EM 2000 vs ??? - 11/13/00 08:08 AM

In NYC Go To 48th street between 6th and 7th ave, almost every store along the block is a mucic store, Sam Ash, Alex music, and many many more. You will find anything you need on "Music Row"!

Good Luck

Donny
Posted by: Shakil

Re: PSR 9000 vs EM 2000 vs ??? - 11/13/00 09:57 AM

You won't find SOLTON, GEM, TECHNICS there..
just the hyped up YAMAHAs, KORGs and ROLANDs.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: PSR 9000 vs EM 2000 vs ??? - 11/13/00 01:32 PM

I havn't been to 48th Street in NYC in awhile
so calling some of the many stores would help you further your quest.
Posted by: JCkeeys

Re: PSR 9000 vs EM 2000 vs ??? - 11/16/00 08:12 PM

As far as 48th St.in NYC is concerned you will not find much in the way of arrranger KB's. I was on the street last week. Went into Manny's only had low end Yamaha and that was it! Sam Ash the same. You can try Solton Hdqtrs @ 914-353-3515 they are located in upstate NY.

Re: PSR 9000 vs EM 2000 vs ??? - 11/16/00 09:40 PM

Thanks for the replies...called Manny's and Sam Ash today. Sam Ash said they do have a PSR9000 on display, but little else on the high end range.. Also told me they no longer carry the EM2000 and that it was discontinued ( which I had heard before ). 8th street music in Philly still has 'em though ( and a bunch of others too ). I find it incredible that in the biggest city in the US you can't find these boards.... Heck, I went to Scranton, Pa. today and Cossa's music had a G-1000 and I-30 on display... Better than anyplace in NY city it appears. . I would have liked to also have heard the PSR740 ( which I currently own ) thru the same amp as I heard the I-30 and G-1000 thru today, but as I arrived late in the afternoon I did not get a chance, as Cossa's closed at 5pm....After going to Casio's flash site I am curious a bit about the MZ1000 as well....In light of my inability to find boards to try out in the largets market in the US I think that if some of these "pro" board manufacturers wanted to really market their stuff they would do well to follow Casio's example on how to demo a product on the net....Their site told me much more about their board then any of the other sites, although the NON company affiliated sites for the PSR740 and 9000 are pretty good...I just want the board that's right for ME, but there is no way I can determine that without being able to get my hands on one..and most of the companies give only very generic info on their sites...Guess I am going to have to go to Philly to try some of these other boards.. which actually isn't much further than NY city from where I am anyway. It is rather frustrating though...
Al M