PC "keyboarding" trouble - only on THIS site

Posted by: Uncle Dave

PC "keyboarding" trouble - only on THIS site - 12/12/01 09:13 PM

This is a real puzzler -
For more than a week now, my pc keyboard "drops" letters as I type, but ONLY on this site. I have reverted to writing in an email, and then pasting it into the message box.
I also have a strange LAG whenever I click on a topic - it takes forever to read the posts. Is this only happening to me? I'm not sure if AOL is at fault, my pc, or the web in general. It never used to behave this way - anyone shed some light on this?

(Nigel - I don't even suspect you as a cause - this site is VERY well maintained)
Posted by: TomTomSF

Re: PC "keyboarding" trouble - only on THIS site - 12/12/01 09:24 PM

Dave
My guess is that your problem is AOL. It's overloaded by too many users quite often. So you get the painfully slow webpages, etc. You should get DSL or cable modem.
Tom

Re: PC "keyboarding" trouble - only on THIS site - 12/12/01 09:34 PM

The DSL is already on order. Funny thing is - no other area of the web is slow. Just THIS site.
Posted by: arnothijssen

Re: PC "keyboarding" trouble - only on THIS site - 12/13/01 06:16 AM

Well, UD, you know this is by far the most popular site on the web by now.
Posted by: Vic01

Re: PC "keyboarding" trouble - only on THIS site - 12/13/01 06:39 AM

Hi Uncle Dave. If your are using Internet Explorer as your browser you might try clearing your cache as there may be a corrupt file in there related to this site. In Internet Explorer just click on tools then Internet options then click on delete files. A delete files dialog box will appear and there will be a checkbox in there to delete all offline content. Make sure you check that box and then click ok.

If you are using Netscape Communicator click on edit and then go to preferences. On the left side of the dialog that appears you will see Category. Click on the plus sign to the left of advanced and then click on Cache. Now click on clear Disk Cache. Clearing the cache a browser uses can often clear up problems related to specific web sites.

"We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming"

[This message has been edited by Vic01 (edited 12-13-2001).]
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: PC "keyboarding" trouble - only on THIS site - 12/13/01 06:52 AM

Vic, you wrote the answer I was going too,
so I'll just add that a PC restart after the
cleaning might do good too.
GJ
Posted by: Maged

Re: PC "keyboarding" trouble - only on THIS site - 12/13/01 07:54 AM

I had a similar situation before and the problem was a mild type VIRUS attached to one of the cookies in my browser. I would suggest updating the virus definition file and running your anti-virus software just to eliminate this probability.

Maged

Re: PC "keyboarding" trouble - only on THIS site - 12/13/01 08:13 AM

All good suggestions- I'll try them.
Posted by: Vic01

Re: PC "keyboarding" trouble - only on THIS site - 12/13/01 11:27 AM

Hi Gunnar. I just happened to be at work where we support a host of network users so I wrote a quick reply. You are absolutely right about rebooting the PC after those steps are completed. Good call.

Re: PC "keyboarding" trouble - only on THIS site - 12/13/01 09:32 PM

Tried it all - same results. Weird, huh?
Posted by: DonM

Re: PC "keyboarding" trouble - only on THIS site - 12/13/01 10:14 PM

You might try using a different font, just to see if it helps.
Posted by: BossX

Re: PC "keyboarding" trouble - only on THIS site - 12/14/01 02:38 AM

Dave, maybe your fingers get a little flutter of excitement everytime you post on this site... as opposed to other sites. It must be that approaching 1000 posts man! You'll get over these jitters after the milestone is passed. Just ask Roger Marris!
Posted by: LindaFus

Re: PC "keyboarding" trouble - only on THIS site - 12/14/01 04:47 AM

Hi Dave,

You don't say what kind of computer you are using and what operating system your using. All those things make a difference. Also what is your modem connect rate to AOL? Some connections to the web at slow rates can produce some strange results. No two servers in the world are the same in speed! AOL could be routing you through different servers than they did before that may be causing a severe lag. Try using a PING program to see where the problem is. Sounds like a typical lag problem to me. AOL is notorious for this.

-Linda
Posted by: Stevizard

Re: PC "keyboarding" trouble - only on THIS site - 12/14/01 06:07 AM

Hmm,

Tha 's eally strange. It dosn't hapen t me, Dav . Mus b omethin rong with your comp ter.

God Luc ,
Stve
Posted by: DonM

Re: PC "keyboarding" trouble - only on THIS site - 12/14/01 08:11 AM

I do t un ers and e ther. Min n ver do s that.
Most of the world's problems can be traced directly to AOL.
Strange it only does it on this site though.
Why don't you change ID's and start all over as a Junior Member again.
DonM
Posted by: Stevizard

Re: PC "keyboarding" trouble - only on THIS site - 12/14/01 11:49 AM

Dos that mean tht he'd hav to change his hndle to somthing lik "Son of Dave"?

[This message has been edited by Stevizard (edited 12-14-2001).]

Re: PC "keyboarding" trouble - only on THIS site - 12/14/01 09:19 PM

hmmmmmm, Davidson. Sounds like a singers name.