Got a domain. Need help putting it together.

Posted by: Beakybird

Got a domain. Need help putting it together. - 12/10/06 10:48 AM

I will have a website coming soon: larry123.com.

I purchased the domain rights through godaddy.com, and I paid extra for two years of hosting. I don't even know what hosting means.

How do I put it all together into a website to promote my business: entertainment? Should I do it myself? What else do I need to pay for? Does anyone on the Zone do this professionally?

I want to have everything up and running by January. I would love to get suggestions from web savvy Zone members.

Thanks in advance

Beakybird
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Got a domain. Need help putting it together. - 12/10/06 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
I will have a website coming soon: larry123.com.

I purchased the domain rights through godaddy.com, and I paid extra for two years of hosting. I don't even know what hosting means.

How do I put it all together into a website to promote my business: entertainment? Should I do it myself? What else do I need to pay for? Does anyone on the Zone do this professionally?

I want to have everything up and running by January. I would love to get suggestions from web savvy Zone members.

Thanks in advance

Beakybird

Hosting simply means the company(servers) that stores all the data that makes up your web site. aka host computer.

Beaky there a number of ways to get a web site up running. Although I'm not an expert there are those here that can probably lend more help. I will tell you this orignally when I setup my site I used the online tools offered by registrar.com Those tools and I gotta believe godadday has similar tools allows someone who has no knowledge of web authoring software to upload a site. You'll probably want to check with godaddy for those tools. Eventually I purchased a copy of Microsoft Front Page bought a book on how to use it then put a web site together. http://steveonpiano.com
Good luck

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 12-10-2006).]
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: Got a domain. Need help putting it together. - 12/10/06 01:09 PM

Hi Beakybird

I used Yahoo SiteBuilder. I learned how to build it myself. It was rather easy once I got into it, although it did take a number of hours to get it the way I wanted it. No knowledge of html is needed, it's all drag and drop basically.

I don't know how they would work it with what you've already bought, but it might be worth the call. They have 24/7 800 phone help. It costs me $11.95 per month and it is well worth it. The number of gigs and amount of income I've gotten through my web site makes it well worth my while.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/?p=PASSPORT
http://ScottLMusic.com

Scott
Posted by: mikeathome1

Re: Got a domain. Need help putting it together. - 12/10/06 01:12 PM

I also use frontpage but for a free editor that is almost as good and alot easier try http://www.nvu.com/.
An editor lets you design your page in plain english, with pictures and graphics and anything else you want, while it does all the html stuff behind the scenes. Then you have to learn how to get it to your website, one step at a time have some fun with it.
Posted by: Tony Rome

Re: Got a domain. Need help putting it together. - 12/10/06 02:41 PM

Larry, AL Giordano does web-design as well
as play music....go to his wb-site and check him out www.algiordano.com I believe..
TR
Posted by: renig

Re: Got a domain. Need help putting it together. - 12/10/06 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hi Beakybird

I used Yahoo SiteBuilder. I learned how to build it myself. It was rather easy once I got into it, although it did take a number of hours to get it the way I wanted it. No knowledge of html is needed, it's all drag and drop basically.

Scott

Hi Scott,

You may remember you gave me the Yahoo sitebuilder info a few months ago. Thanks for that.

I'm sure it is one of the easier ways out there to build a site, but I 'ran aground' a little way into it - I guess I'm as big a duffer as I thought I was at this computer stuff, so I'll have to go via the pro's.

Cheers!

[This message has been edited by renig (edited 12-10-2006).]
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Got a domain. Need help putting it together. - 12/10/06 05:21 PM

Building a site isn't nuerosurgery--it's not at all difficult and anyone with a grain of common sense can put a good looking site together in a few hours. The most important question you must ask is will the site produce new jobs? The answer, at least in my case is NO! You can produce many more new jobs by doing a little research and direct mail than any website will ever produce.

There are lots of good to excellent site programs that will do an admirable job of creating a good looking site. Many are free, and some are very expensive. Among the best is Dream Weaver, a program that was used to create PSR Tutorial. Lots of options, but a bit pricey.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: Got a domain. Need help putting it together. - 12/10/06 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by renig:
[B] Hi Scott,

You may remember you gave me the Yahoo sitebuilder info a few months ago. Thanks for that.

I'm sure it is one of the easier ways out there to build a site, but I 'ran aground' a little way into it - I guess I'm as big a duffer as I thought I was at this computer stuff, so I'll have to go via the pro's.

Cheers!

B]

The site I did took a number of days and many hours per day, yet, I was learning from scratch but mostly experimenting to see what I thought would look good. So I would try this and try that. I did not want an average looking site.

Yahoo has 24/7 free 800 number for assistance. That is hard to beat. I sometimes called them at 3 AM.

Can you get gigs off of your web site? Yes! Most of my gigs came from the web site. I referred clients to it after talking on the phone. This way they can listen to you immediately after talking with you when the interest is high.

The "Lester Lanin" of the Florida panhandle got me many, many gigs after he heard what I sounded like on my web site.

I am now first call for music for a 5 Star restaurant because of my web site. As I always ask how they found out about me, in this case they found my link on the Pensacola Jazz Society site. So, linking to other sites that are related to what you do will help. Wedding services for example.

Hope this helps.

Scott
http://ScottLMusic.com

Re: Got a domain. Need help putting it together. - 12/11/06 09:57 AM

Thank you for all the helpful replies! It still seems like doing it myself is a bit daunting.

OK, so if I have a domain and a host, what is it that I need next? Is it a service or software? Do I have to buy another service to help me design a website or do I have to purchase software to do it? Is there anything else I need?

Thank you,

Beakybird
Posted by: Tony Rome

Re: Got a domain. Need help putting it together. - 12/11/06 10:11 AM

Larry, go to your hosts-site and check to see if they provide software and/tools for helping you to build the site, I'll bet that they do.....go to this link and see what I mean....... http://www.lunarpages.com/id/tonyromecom
this host provides $700 worth of free tools for building your site.....I'm sure that yours has something to....
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Got a domain. Need help putting it together. - 12/11/06 11:54 AM

Larry,

All you need now is software. Software to create the site on your computer, then a File Transfer Protocol program to upload the information to the space provided by the host. If I lived closer I could show you how to do all this in less than an hour. It's not difficult at all.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: Haku

Re: Got a domain. Need help putting it together. - 12/11/06 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
Thank you for all the helpful replies! It still seems like doing it myself is a bit daunting.

OK, so if I have a domain and a host, what is it that I need next? Is it a service or software? Do I have to buy another service to help me design a website or do I have to purchase software to do it? Is there anything else I need?

Thank you,

Beakybird

Hi Beaky,
glad to see you're interested in putting your site together. I prvide a little hosting myself, I have two servers, a linux and a windows server, so if you (or anyone else here) ever have any serious problems, feel free to contact me at markus(a)thibros.com. I'm much better at this stuff than with my PSR3K, which I just got last Friday.

First you have to find out what your options on your hosting are. There are two ways: you create your site at home and transfer later to godaddy, or you do everything "online" on a webpage. Probably you'll do the former.

You can create the site with any program starting notepad, Word, Frontpage, up to dreamweaver. The difference is that the bigger programs let you do fancy stuff and customizations, which are much more diffucult in the other programs to realize. But actually almost any program that suits you and your budget will be fine. I suggest to start low budget, look for a free tool, or use Word (and save as html-file).

The most common way to put your site to into the internet onto the server (upload) is so-called ftp. Many web-creation programs have ftp built it, there are free tools for it, even windows explorer has it. You need to know three things: your username, password and server (which is probably something like ftp.larry123.com, you probably got this information with your hosting).
If you use ftp with windows explorer, you type into the address bar:
ftp://username: password@ftp.larry123.com
or whatever your ftp server is. Then you see the files on the server, and can drag and drop your html files (those are the actual text files), images and music. Just put the whole folder where you saved your stuff with all subdirectories up there. The better web creation programs do this automatically with a button press, but you still have to supply your username, password and server somewhere in the program.

I recommend creating a little page just saying "This site will come to you soon" with maybe a picture under it, and uploading it. Then check your http://www.larry123.com in your browser, but maybe you'd have to press refresh, if the old page still shows.
Start with Word and a few little free programs to do this. Try more than one, if you can. Many commercial ones have a free trial. Nothing is more frustrating than creating a big site, and then finding out that another program is much more comfortable, and makes you start all over again.

I'd give you suggestions of free and affordable web creation programs, but I'm on my way to London, can't really look into it now. What you need is probably a WYSIWYG editor (what you see is what you get), so you don't have to bother with the html language. There's a small list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTML_editors
or search for "html editors comparison" in google. Many shareware/freeware sites have them too.

Once you have put anything onto your site, you can do the next step and think about what you want to put there.

Btw, I usually use a "content management system", which means I put a generic site once onto the server, and then update my information directly in the browser through a login page from anywhere. So I don't need any tools for that. I use Joomla, which is free, put your hosting needs to provide php and mysql for this. But don't worry about this yet, that's somthing to keep in mind regarding the future.

Good luck,
Markus

[This message has been edited by Haku (edited 12-11-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Haku (edited 12-11-2006).]
Posted by: abacus

Re: Got a domain. Need help putting it together. - 12/11/06 12:22 PM

Hi Beakybird
Your profile doesn’t say where you are, however if you are in the UK, (Other countries may be the same) pop down to your newsagent and have a look at the computer magazines, as most come with a free disc that contains various software, (Usually full versions but just not the latest) so you should find one that suits.
Hope this helps

Bill

Re: Got a domain. Need help putting it together. - 12/11/06 02:39 PM

I want to thank everyone so very much. godaddy.com does not offer anything but a very basic web building tool. The lady who I spoke to on the phone said that she doubted that I could put up various audio links. Maybe she didn't know what she is talking about.

But now I know what the next step is. I will get some software and go about it step by step. Then I will upload it or ask for someone's help doing it.

Best regards,

Beakybird
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: Got a domain. Need help putting it together. - 12/12/06 04:11 AM

Larry,

I can help you. If you would like my assistance, you can Email me at kbrkr@hotmail.com or call me at 914-456-5058.

Regards,
Al

[This message has been edited by kbrkr (edited 12-12-2006).]
Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

Re: Got a domain. Need help putting it together. - 12/14/06 08:32 AM

If you're preferring to hire someone to build a site, my brother and I have built many. We can even build the initial design and then you have it and you can edit / modify it to your heart's content. Contact info is in my profile.

You can learn how to build a site but you will not do it in a matter of hours. I'd have to disagree there. Sure, you can have something up, but designing a decent site is going to take from several to many hours, depending on what you want. No way around it, I don't care how good you are.

------------------
Bill
SmallGig.com