Just a recent video of Russian popular music

Posted by: Kabinopus

Just a recent video of Russian popular music - 04/30/18 08:05 AM

Just like anywhere else, Russian popular music is being influenced quite strongly by modern standarts, which, to put it simply, means that it doesn't really sound like music. There're exceptions, of course, mainly for those who does not depend on his music financially and has resources to bring to life any idea. One of these people is Igor Krutoy, who is a composer, producer and a successful businessman (he "plays" piano in this video). His music is quite simple, the way I like it. Do not really expect you to be impressed, but I consider it as a nice example of so-called "Russian spirit", and overall the video is quite harmless.

Posted by: cgiles

Re: Just a recent video of Russian popular music - 04/30/18 10:14 AM

Originally Posted By Kabinopus
Do not really expect you to be impressed, but I consider it as a nice example of so-called "Russian spirit", and overall the video is quite harmless.

Don't see any need to feel apologetic. It's music, not politics, and music is universal. Actually, I AM impressed. The arrangement is tasteful and the young lady (vocalist) is not only very attractive but has a voice that could make it in any market, including the U.S. I think it's great to be exposed to what is happening in music in the rest of the world and not just in our own little 'comfort zone'.

BTW, I see no reason why this could not have been posted on the main (arranger) board. I've seen a lot less relevant things posted there....every day smile.

chas

Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: Just a recent video of Russian popular music - 04/30/18 11:09 AM

+1

keys
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Just a recent video of Russian popular music - 05/01/18 09:10 AM

I REALLY enjoyed it! Not only was the tune one incorporating great changes and movement, the singer was a class act. On top of that, the film had a beginning and end, was shot with multiple cameras and edited beautifully. It was close to movie broadcast quality.

I'm VERY glad you posted this!

Thanks,

Russ
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Just a recent video of Russian popular music - 05/20/18 01:07 AM

Fantastic. I loved it. And the production of the video is first class. Thanks so much for posting this. This is the beauty of the Internet that we get to experience music we may have never got the opportunity to hear before.
Posted by: sparky589

Re: Just a recent video of Russian popular music - 05/21/18 03:57 PM

That was really cool...nicely done..love the imagery.

Re: Just a recent video of Russian popular music - 05/22/18 12:40 PM

A thoughtful and much appreciated post enjoyed by a "small but mighty" group here.

Please don't hesitate to share your thoughts and sample of your work and the work of others you admire.

Best personal regards.

R.

Re: Just a recent video of Russian popular music - 05/23/18 11:19 AM

I wonder if you could do a little translation? I have watched the film now, probably 6 times, trying to guess at the intent. Who is the older lady? What are the lyrics?

I'm thinking it's a neat little "feel good" message.

Thanks,

Russ

Re: Just a recent video of Russian popular music - 05/23/18 02:58 PM

I’m glad that you all enjoyed and commented this video.

In fact, initially this music was composed by Igor Krutoy (a man at the piano) for Lara Fabian, and she performed it as “Russian Fairy Tale”. And the singer in this video (Angelica Varum), who is well-known in Russia, wrote her own lyrics to this song.

The thing about Russian language is that you can quite freely change the order of words within a sentence, but you have to change endings of words to keep it logical. I believe that it affects music quite strongly, because you can work more with the sound of the lyrics, and pay less attention to their information value.

But today there’s quite a lot of music which is sort of rap or hip-hop, mostly is focused about physical side of relationship between boys and girls, also you can hear some swearing here and there. I feel awkward, because as a relatively young person I should be adaptable, but I don’t really see a point.

There’re exceptions, of course, but one producer told me recently, that music like the one I shared above is sort of dead for now.
I can try to translate the lyrics, but as I said, it’s mostly about sounds.

Title: A woman was walking

A woman was walking
Just like music of a violin
Step by step and year by year

She kept in her heart
A small and weak light
Left from her might-have-been love

No matter how you’d call it

Chorus:

Oh, tender words,
Your head is spinning,
It’s your voluntarily prison

You’ve been waiting for him
Ready to give up everything
For this single day

-

You’re alive again
In your dreams and happy thoughts
Like there hasn’t been any distress

A woman was walking
Not wiping off her tears
From her scattered fate

Well, I’ll come if you just call

Re: Just a recent video of Russian popular music - 05/24/18 09:01 AM

A classic love song about desires, aging, missed opportunities and new prospects.

With a careful look, your translation is perfect.

Thanks again!

Russ

Re: Just a recent video of Russian popular music - 05/26/18 06:30 AM

Now for variety I’d like to show you an example of Russian rock music.
But I must say that the first song I posted was the least “poppy” example of pop music, and this one is the least “rocky" of rock music. Now, with an orchestral arrangement, technically I can’t define a genre. Perhaps, it’s a “song” genre.

Re: Just a recent video of Russian popular music - 05/31/18 10:04 AM

Most of the 2nd piece used pretty universal changes. A really big production for that kind of tune. Don't know the lyrics, and lyrics make the tune in some cases.

Really like the first piece better, but both are really appreciated.

You, too are appreciated for your thoughtful contributions, modesty and talent.

I'm really glad to have the chance to visit with you here.

Russ
Posted by: zuki

Re: Just a recent video of Russian popular music - 06/01/18 07:52 AM

Thanks so much for sharing K smile Enjoyed so much!

Re: Just a recent video of Russian popular music - 06/04/18 03:35 PM

This favorable remark about my activity here is surely heartwarming, thank you for that. In the same time you as a professional yourself, I guess, would agree with me that when it comes to business, everyone can be judged quite in a direct way, and that’s okay, too.

So I try to keep some immune system which, theoretically, should make me indifferent to praise or criticism on an emotional level. Well, that sounds good, but in fact each living being is an emotional being, so I admit that each “I don’t care” I say is not entirely true smile .

As they say, people are social creatures by their nature, so, I guess, even with all best keyboards in the world, cars and other things, everyone will have to have some feedback from others, just as a confirmation that he exists and it is really happening to him.

As for the song, I agree with you that this one is quite simple. It isn’t my favorite song of this band, but I thought that this very disproportion between simplicity of the song and complexity of the performance was entertaining.

In general, I have an impression that Russian songs tend to use less chords than American, which may have to do something with the language.

In the same time, music has been globalised for ages, so there can be less difference than we believe we hear.

Personally I use a lot of country ballads styles for popular Russian songs and it works great. As for an authentically Russian music, like folk music, it really sounds alienated to most of present-day people here. smirk

I like that the first video hadn’t been spoiled by showing off too much. I mean, many of videos of our artists try very hard to look expensive, with some meaningless effects. Some are shot in the states, but is it really an achievement? grin

Well, I’ll post something else when I come up with something! Thank you for your attention! smile

Re: Just a recent video of Russian popular music - 06/05/18 09:48 AM

I can tell you that the people who responded favorably to your posts really know what they're talking about. As for me, Google

RCL solo guitar.

If you like it, it's me. If you don't, I don't know who that crazy old man is (LOL)!

Most here will tell you I know what I'm talking about, and yours are thoughtful contributions that show sensitivity, talent and appreciation for good music and people from all over the world.

Be well, friend. Look forward from hearing from you.

Russ
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Just a recent video of Russian popular music - 06/05/18 01:43 PM

Everything Russ said. My daughter-in-law and 2 grandsons are in St. Petersburg as we speak (Scandinavian cruise). My grandson just sent me 180 pics (via Google Pics) and they are gorgeous. BTW, no surprise to me that the first video got our attention; quality has a way of doing that smile. Keep posting, a lot of us appreciate and enjoy it.

chas

Re: Just a recent video of Russian popular music - 06/08/18 01:00 PM

Russ, I’m not sure that I’m googling you correctly, but I know that you are a serious musician from the examples that you shared earlier, it was a background theme for a promotional movie. You are, as Americans say, the real deal smile