Another year dumber...

Posted by: Taike

Another year dumber... - 01/25/16 12:57 AM

but not gray yet. smile

I received many wishes from my former students in Taiwan which means a lot to me. Yet I feel a bit sad as well knowing that they're growing up way too fast.

My wish is the end of poverty and misery even though it's a wish that won't come true. Still, we each can make a difference, no matter how small.

Taike
Posted by: The Saint

Re: Another year dumber... - 01/25/16 01:18 AM

NO Taike, you are wrong !!!!!
You and I have learnt a lot this past year,(apart from your non-English spelling of "grey").
We may not have achieved all of our goals, but we are on the way.
My one wish before I leave this world,(and I am in no hurry,as I have more to do), is to know that at least I have contributed and made a difference.

Ray dance

Re: Another year dumber... - 01/25/16 04:07 AM

HI Ray,

Long time, mate.

Grey/gray...cookie/biscuit...sheila/woman... cool

I'm sure you've left a positive mark, Ray. And you're not even done yet. smile

One thing's for sure, we don't complain about the cold weather...or the lack thereof. whistle

Cheers

Taike
Posted by: mirza

Re: Another year dumber... - 01/25/16 09:39 AM

Happy Birthday my friend.
I just saw on your Facebook what your former students wrote on your wall. It says a lot what kind of teacher you are, and what kind of person. And that is rare these days. To care about someone else regardless whether you get anything in return.

Re: Another year dumber... - 01/25/16 05:26 PM

Thank you very much, my friend.

My former students in Taiwan are great kids. I miss them dearly and ...they miss me. wink Of course, I spent hours telling stories, jokes, pulling pranks on them, etc. Who says class has to be boring? In return I got kids with the highest grade average. They did me proud and continue doing so. In return they made me love my job.

Thanks again, Mirza. Always good to hear from you.

Taike
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Another year dumber... - 01/26/16 04:48 PM

The best to a GREAT teacher, DAD and friend!

R

Re: Another year dumber... - 01/26/16 05:37 PM

Thanks, Russ.

Where've you been?

Taike

Re: Another year dumber... - 01/27/16 11:51 AM

Went on one of my 2 week Dubai gigs. Made enough to buy a new Subaru!

R.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Another year dumber... - 01/27/16 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Went on one of my 2 week Dubai gigs. Made enough to buy a new Subaru!

R.

Dirty dog, making all that money. I'd be mad and jealous if I didn't know that you give most of it away. Seriously, glad you're back safe. Sure, it's Dubai but it's still the Middle East.

chas

Re: Another year dumber... - 01/27/16 03:06 PM

Did get the new Subaru Crosstrek. Transferring the "MUSIC MATTERS" front plate to the new car as we speak.

Also, thinking of getting a 2015 SYM Citi from a dealer in Louisville that just closed. A little smaller than I wanted, but thinking of transitioning to a scooter from a motorcycle. I have several old Cushman's and a small 150 Kymco People, but that's not the interstate machine I want.300 cc's may not be enough. I'm going to test ride the SYM next Monday. A good friend is a Sym dealer here...just doesn't handle anything that size. He can do warranty work on the new one.

Man, it'll be hard getting off bigger bikes. The problem is not the hips or knees, it's the 200 times I have to operate the clutch lever when I make the 10 mile trip to the office and back. My left hand is in pretty rough shape...stretched tendon from so many years on upright, and a bad cut from a few years ago.

Russ (future scooter nerd) Lay

Russ

PS. Since the guy closed, he will sell the last Citi at cost, or about $2,000.00 less than the regular price. $4250.00 out the door, instead of the $4899 MSRP, plus $500.00 set-up and freight, plus sales tax and license fees. this one is Black, but at that price, who cares?

Re: Another year dumber... - 01/27/16 03:42 PM

.....OR, you could just come down and pick up my Kymco 500 (currently on Craigslist Atlanta) which is practically like new, is a lot more roadworthy (95mph easily), is fully decked out, always garaged, new tires, new batt., and.....well, it's a Kymco, 'nuff said. A LOT more bike for a lot less money. Check it out on Craigslist. It IS a tall bike though, so you may not be able to 'flat foot' it at stop lights.

chas

Re: Another year dumber... - 01/27/16 04:12 PM

You guys seem to love Taiwanese scooters. Can't blame you, good quality and, as goes for most Taiwanese products, get more for less. By the way, do they sell Kymco in the US?

Taike

Re: Another year dumber... - 01/28/16 01:13 PM

Yes, Kymco is available here. Good stuff. Chas, what is the price of the 500? What year? What's the mileage. My friend Nod was a dealer, but Kymco didn't like the look of his shop and pulled it. He sold more Kymco than all the rest of the dealers in the state. My 2002 came from him.

Can I fly down and ride it back?

Russ

Re: Another year dumber... - 01/28/16 02:59 PM

It's here Russ. https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/5398376505.html

Yeah, you could ride it back but at this time of the year I'd rent a Uhaul trailer and tow it back. Special price for you, of course. I've also sold the Burgman, sold in 1 day for more than I paid for it. I'm not too old to ride, just too old to fall smile. I also have a lot of good music gear you can have (to keep or share with some of your musical 'charity projects').

chas

chas

Re: Another year dumber... - 01/28/16 03:12 PM

Looks good, Chaz. I'm going to be in session on Sunday and Monday. I have an appointment to see the SYM at 1:00 PM on Monday. It is new and under warranty, with a local dealer to handle the warranty. While my friend, Nod can work on Kymco, he is not a dealer. The closest one is 75 miles away.

I am interested. I'll look on Tuesday when I return. If still available, I'll come see it with a trailer.

R.

Re: Another year dumber... - 01/28/16 03:57 PM

Russ, don't even think about feeling obligated. It'll sell, I'm sure of that. For the amount of riding you'll likely due, you may be better off with the SYM. It's a great bike, I rode one, very peppy, and with the same Korean/Japanese reliability we're used to with the Kymcos. But it's here if you want it.

chas

Re: Another year dumber... - 02/02/16 08:46 AM

Chaz, I bought the SYM yesterday. The dealer is going to deliver it to Nod, the local distributor and my friend. The 2 year warranty will be in effect.

This one will stay at my office, replacing the 150 Kymco as a "daily driver" to lunch, etc. It runs perfectly, but Kymco has discontinued it, and I'm worried about parts down the road.

If I like the 300 SYM, I'll get something bigger. SYM is selling a 500 overseas. I's like to have something new with a warranty.

Your's sounds GREAT. You'll have no problem getting that kind of money.

Be well, Russ

Re: Another year dumber... - 02/02/16 09:10 AM

Congrats on the SYM, a great choice. Someone is coming up this weekend to look at (and probably buy) the Kymco. It's a friend of the guy that bought my Burgie. Quality stuff always sells. Next to go is the motorhome (wife isn't up to the travelling anymore). I'll probably take a 40-50k loss on that. Oh well, better than letting it sit there deteriorating from non-use.

Be careful 'til you get used to it (the SYM), especially if you've gotten used to riding that 150.

chas

Re: Another year dumber... - 02/02/16 02:21 PM

Actually, my main ride is a 650 cc single.....M 40....360 pounds and rough as hell!

R.

Re: Another year dumber... - 02/02/16 03:56 PM

Oh, forgot to metion; I'm totally head-over-heels in love with that Cushman - it's downright beautiful. How many man-hours did you put into that restoration? Doesn't matter, it was worth it. So glad somebody remembers and cares about the good ol' stuff.

chas

Re: Another year dumber... - 02/02/16 04:16 PM

Chas, that's a ground-up restoration. My young son took the frame to a powder coater, saying he was finishing up the project for his dad. The guy, about 30 years old, I guess, said that he had just finished one for his dad. Then, he said, "you know, Medicare will pay for these things".

Ben told him I'm still riding Harleys and that this was something else (He thought it was off a Rascal).

Total project, including a complete rebuild of the engine....250 hours.

Interesting fact: there is a shop that just handles NOS Cushman, Cushman repro parts and Ford tractor parts. You can get anything you need from these guys

Have a restored Eagle, another Hilander and am thinking of a conversion where you use a 32 HP Briggs engine and new slush box tranny. Origional engines are 9 hp. No filter, so you change oil every 300 miles. As a dumb-assed 14 year old, I rode an Eagle from Oscoda, Michigan to Biloxi, Ms. and back!

Fun toys!

Russ