My band playing Journey

Posted by: Nigel

My band playing Journey - 03/21/12 12:32 AM

My band playing Separate Ways by Journey at The Star Lounge in Ventura
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: My band playing Journey - 03/22/12 02:06 PM

Looks like fun! Cover band work it pretty relaxing and cool if you don't make it more than that.

Good job!

Russ
Posted by: analogcontrolfreak

Re: My band playing Journey - 03/24/12 04:46 AM

Great performance Nigel! I can honestly say i have never heard a woman sing Separate Ways, before? Cool!
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: My band playing Journey - 03/24/12 05:18 PM

Hi Nigel,
Enjoyed your band's "Separate Ways" performance.
Nice shot of you playing your Yamaha keyboard. cool
Brought back fond memories of the fun we had playing together
at our Synthzone jam a few years ago.

Scott cool

Re: My band playing Journey - 03/24/12 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: analogcontrolfreak
Great performance Nigel! I can honestly say i have never heard a woman sing Separate Ways, before? Cool!

You are right. Sandra loves to take on songs that are traditionally sung by male singers. She will just adjust the lyrics when needed to be from a woman's perspective. She also does a great version of Ozzie Osbourne's "Crazy Train" and AC/DC's "You Shook Me".

Re: My band playing Journey - 03/24/12 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Hi Nigel,
Enjoyed your band's "Separate Ways" performance.
Nice shot of you playing your Yamaha keyboard. cool
Brought back fond memories of the fun we had playing together
at our Synthzone jam a few years ago.

Scott cool

Thanks very much Scott. Yes that jam was great fun. Wow, I guess it must be about 8 years ago ... how time flies.

Re: My band playing Journey - 03/24/12 07:01 PM

From the same gig the second half of "Long Train Running" by The Doobie Bros. This time I have switched from keyboard to lead guitar. Nothing like variety wink

Re: My band playing Journey - 03/24/12 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Looks like fun! Cover band work it pretty relaxing and cool if you don't make it more than that.

Good job!

Russ

Yep Russ, this is a very low key local bar gig. No pressure at all, we have fun and just hope the audience do too, but they seem to. Nowdays band work in bars is very low paid. We have to play for what a DJ would get and that doesn't go too far in a 6 piece band. It's a good thing we aren't trying to live off it.
Posted by: analogcontrolfreak

Re: My band playing Journey - 03/26/12 04:20 AM

WOW! Nigel, you really hit a wide array of different songs.
Posted by: Bill in Dayton

Re: My band playing Journey - 03/30/12 06:48 AM

Good stuff...

(Smile once in a while, eh?)

Re: My band playing Journey - 03/31/12 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Bill in Dayton
Good stuff...

(Smile once in a while, eh?)

Yeah, I guess you're right. I am never on the front line so I don't really think about it much. But when I see videos of us playing it always does surprise me how serious I always look. I'll work on it now you mention it rotfl
Posted by: Rfinnshw

Re: My band playing Journey - 04/03/12 05:28 AM

Nigel,

Both Videos excellente! Your versatility on both keyboard & guitar is outstanding!

Ron Finn in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

Re: My band playing Journey - 04/04/12 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Rfinnshw
Nigel,

Both Videos excellente! Your versatility on both keyboard & guitar is outstanding!

Ron Finn in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

Thanks so much Ron. We are just out to have fun. Aint that what playing music is all about.
Posted by: OldNewb

Re: My band playing Journey - 05/29/12 03:17 PM

Hi Nigel, I enjoyed your bands video clips very much. Thank you for posting them. Your band is very similar to the band I play with in that it is basically 4 piece with a male and female vocalist. I fill your role doing keys and also some guitar.
Here is a link to my bands website. We have no videos (yet) but there is a page with a jukebox featuring some of our sound.
The deal is though, all those recordings were done before I joined last October. I of course think we sound much better now that I am on keys, and many of the bands regular following seem to agree. I hope you enjoy my band "Brew City Rockers" as much as I've enjoyed yours.

Brew City Rockers Homepage

Re: My band playing Journey - 06/24/12 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: OldNewb
Your band is very similar to the band I play with in that it is basically 4 piece with a male and female vocalist. I fill your role doing keys and also some guitar.
Brew City Rockers Homepage

Loved it. Yep our bands are so very similar. Our song list contains so many of the songs in yours we obviously are playing to the same sort of audiences. The one that really keeps me on my toes is "Need You Now" ... I play 2nd guitar, slide guitar and keyboard ... it really is a juggling act trying to cover all those slots without having too many dropouts as I switch over between parts. The toughest bit is going from piano to putting on the slide for the choruses. I actually keep the slide on the keyboard for a a quick changover.

Re: My band playing Journey - 07/12/12 09:42 PM

I brought up my Video Manager at Youtube and see that EMI have now tagged my band's video of Separate Ways because of copyright. I have submitted a dispute saying it is fair use. But it seems that now all clips on youtube are being software fingerprinted for copyright matching.

This is so stupid. The record companies last gasp to try and make money from us all before they die just like they deserve to.
While I support protection of copyright infringement, standing over a local bar band playing a cover tune is absolute bs ... I look forward to them dying completely now. They don't support music they threaten it.

Ironically I have been an EMI recording artist in the past but now I don't care about them at all.
Posted by: tassiespirit

Re: My band playing Journey - 12/09/12 06:29 PM

That was great, thank you for the vids, you had more hair back then lol. Keep them coming. I love watching live bands and musicians at work(play).

Allan taz