A life that mattered...

Posted by: captain Russ

A life that mattered... - 09/03/08 01:40 PM

My dear grandmother, Zona Lay, died Monday afternoon at the age of 105. She moved to St. Cloud, Fla in 1956, after my grandfather retired as one of the country's first Western Auto franchisees. I'll be flying to Fla tomorrow to bring her home.

Sweet little lady, who got up and killed two chickens to cook for breakfast for her 6 children every day. Didn't drive until she was 77, after dad died. Showed up in Lexington with white go-go boots, white short shorts and a new T-top Cutlass with white leather seats. Took her 7 tries to get her liscense. She drove straight thru from Fla the day after she got her liscense.

Not a famous person, but one of the really important people in my life. She died at home. Took a nap at 12:00 P.M. and just didn't wake up. Will be buried at an ancient church on a steep hill in Willow Springs, Ky. Last time I was there for my Grandfather's funeral. I had to drive through a small stream to get there.

What a sweet soul. I miss her a lot. But, have lots of great, warm memories. At 105, she still had a sweet little voice and a beam in her eye when she talked about her family.

Let's ALL appreciate each other and all those closest to us while we can.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 09-03-2008).]
Posted by: DonM

Re: A life that mattered... - 09/03/08 02:35 PM

I'm sorry for your loss, Russ. Wish I could have met your Grandmother. She sounds like a great person.
DonM
Posted by: mikeathome1

Re: A life that mattered... - 09/03/08 03:56 PM

My condolences Russ, You have been blessed to have known her.
Posted by: Bill in Dayton

Re: A life that mattered... - 09/03/08 04:50 PM

Great memories, Russ...

Hold them close, brother...

Regards-

Bill

------------------
Bill in Dayton
Posted by: Nigel

Re: A life that mattered... - 09/04/08 12:38 AM

Russ, I am so sad for your loss. But she truly lives on in your memories. All my sympathy goes out to you and your family.
Posted by: trident

Re: A life that mattered... - 09/04/08 01:49 AM

My condolences Russ, may you live as long as she did.
Theodore
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: A life that mattered... - 09/04/08 04:40 AM

Russ. Yes, she was one from the old school and sounds to have been a brilliant lady. My grandmother was the same so I understand your statement very much so. She will always be with you in your thought of the happier times.
Posted by: Mainer

Re: A life that mattered... - 09/04/08 09:49 AM

Rus

I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you for sharing about this special woman. It's these little stories that make you realize the truly great people are not always the ones in the news.

"Let's ALL appreciate each other and all those closest to us while we can."

Words of wisdom

Jerry
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: A life that mattered... - 09/04/08 11:31 AM

Russ, you brought back to the front of my mind, my grandmother who died at 104 after breaking her hip. She kept her own house till then and was an amazing woman.
I have a substitute Grandmother next door to me although she is only 97, I belive she will make it to the age of your grandmother. She is strong Okie Stock. I love to visit and listen to her and look at her pictures of the dust bowl days in Oklahoma.
Perhaps you will find a substitute grandma for your family.
We send our condolences to you from,
Bill and Jann in the motorhome at Pismo Beach, California the last two weeks.
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: A life that mattered... - 09/04/08 12:38 PM

Thanks, so much, everyone. Just landed and delivered "Mom". The service is at graveside on Saturday.

All the best!

Russ
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: A life that mattered... - 09/05/08 12:43 PM

Cap'n ... so sorry for your loss, but special parents and grandparents leave us with such beautiful memories ...
I used to walk home from high school which took me past my maternal grandparents' house ... I would stop in every day (if I didn't there would be a call to my house - "Didn't Anthony go to school today???" - my grandmother would have waiting for me a chunk of Italian bread (we don't slice it ), a piece of dried sausage, some provolone cheese, and a small glass of grandpa's home made wine (which I helped him make) ... MANGIA !!! ...
come to think of it, if she did that today someone would probably report her to the authorities !!! .....

Your family will be in our prayers ...
t.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: A life that mattered... - 09/08/08 09:16 PM

...thinking of you Russ. My Grandmom was 94 when we lost her ... what good genes, huh? Man, she must have had a ton of stories in 105 years. God Bless, my friend
UD