My cousin Al Carango

Posted by: Fran Carango

My cousin Al Carango - 04/25/05 09:35 AM

Well I just came back from my cousin Al's funeral...Al was 80 years old..He was a member and long time Captain of the "Uptown " string band, here in the Philly area...well Al topped off anything I have seen...The Uptown string band played at his viewing last night...I think I seen Al crack a smile..and today they played at the gravesite....way cool..
Posted by: Tony Rome

Re: My cousin Al Carango - 04/25/05 09:40 AM

Fran...Sorry for the loss of you cousin Al..
your post brought back many great memories of the string bands in Philly...I miss them at times...did you ever hear of a sax player named "Iggy Geneva" a Philly boy that was very active in the "string bands" around Philly.....
Tony
Posted by: loungelyzard

Re: My cousin Al Carango - 04/25/05 09:45 AM

Fran:
My condolences also, I'm sure he will be missed.

My brother passed away last year, he was one of the founders of the East Bay banjo club, in the SF Bay area, and quite a few of the original members showed up to play at his wake.......Pose

------------------
Support the arts
FEED a Musician
Cheers....Pose

Re: My cousin Al Carango - 04/25/05 09:47 AM

Tony, you mean this IGGY at AC.
July 13th Yeeehaw! Country music for this country girl! -A Country Western Concert. July 17 -Iggy Geneva & the Mummers -an evening of toe tapping music! July 24 features the Ocean Pops Band August 21- Hal Davis Orchestra performs the Big Band Sound
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: My cousin Al Carango - 04/25/05 11:22 AM

Fran ... My sympathies on the passing of your cousin ...
80 gets younger every day ...
t.

Re: My cousin Al Carango - 04/25/05 11:23 AM

Yea fran...Dat is Da guy...man, is he still around???? I used to sit in with them on occasion when I would stop in to see them....
these guys are crazy....it's good to know that he is still hanging in there...I've known him for more than 30 years....
Posted by: Sheriff

Re: My cousin Al Carango - 04/25/05 11:36 AM

Sorry to hear that your cousin has left the mundane stage to take place in the heaven's stage. I hope he had a fulfilled life until he took his last breath.
Best regards, Danny
Posted by: cassp

Re: My cousin Al Carango - 04/25/05 03:24 PM

My condolences to you and your family.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: My cousin Al Carango - 04/25/05 04:17 PM

Fran,

Sorry to hear about your cousin's passing. Hope to meet up with the gang up north soon, and when I get to town, I'm buying!

Gary
Posted by: Tom Cavanaugh

Re: My cousin Al Carango - 04/25/05 06:23 PM

Fran, sorry for your loss. In all seriousness what is a "string Band"?

Tom

Re: My cousin Al Carango - 04/25/05 07:45 PM

Tom...mummers band.

Re: My cousin Al Carango - 04/25/05 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
Fran, sorry for your loss. In all seriousness what is a "string Band"?

Tom

Tom....If you evr get a chance to watch a tape or DVD of the New Years Celebration out
of Phila. and you will see first hand what a "String Band" is and I promise you that you will enjoy it..God I miss thoes "Mummers"
day parades......
Tony