style converting

Posted by: baz66

style converting - 03/14/13 08:24 PM

I've just had minor success with a style conversion method for the PA. I don't know if it will work with other models so it may be worth a try.
Because I also have a psr710, I have many of the wonderful programs from the psr tutorial site and the jorgans site.
The psr midiplayer is worth DLing. Get the latest version.
Here's what I did. Hopefully some of you pa owners can try it and improve it.
I loaded the yam style col bogey into the midiplayer. In the pref I set CW as my sequencer selection.
I then converted the style to a midi(square button left hand side) and sent it to the seQ program. A warning that all CASM would be lost came up but that's OK. Make changes to the midi.
1: change channels 9 and 11 around 9 on the yam is percussion and 11 is bass.
2: open the flag view and delete the existing yam entries. I did this one at a time and added the PA equivalents. Also, I changed the intro and endings around (1 for 3 and 3 to 1) because the PA uses them differently. Also the yam has a second insertion to tell the variation when to stop. I deleted these.
Once done, save to MPLAYER in midi0 format and get out of midiplayer.
Then load seq again and load saved file. Play and check(it isn't terrific (here's where the experts come in) add more or change, save and then save to stick, put in the pa and follow the import SMF functions on page 29 advanced manual.
The psr site is one of the best sites and their programs do them credit.
I hope others try this little caper as there is so many Yamaha songs that may be able to be converted.
How did the bogey march turn out? It needs a lot of tweaking but the basics are there to work on.
Hope this is a good thread.
baz
Posted by: DonM

Re: style converting - 03/14/13 11:13 PM

I have a much easier method. Saves a lot of time and effort.
I wait until someone like you does all the work and then beg for a copy of it!!
smile
Actually this is a good thread, and Michael does have some amazing programs, all for free!
DonM

Re: style converting - 03/15/13 03:02 AM

Where are the song styles. I like to do styles that sound like the original. Yamaha have plenty. I really did enjoy playing Rasputin for my friends on the yammie.Maybe I should try that next.
baz
Posted by: MusicalMemories

Re: style converting - 03/16/13 01:47 PM

Which Korg Are You Converting To?

Re: style converting - 03/17/13 05:58 AM

PA3x from a 710-910 style. Probably would work for other models too.
baz

Re: style converting - 03/17/13 09:18 PM

Some more on this subject.
It works but the amount of tweaking one has to do after the import makes me think that it would be just as easy to step record it all. I do wish korg had some programs to help. I've looked at the styleworks prog and it is just the same and from other reports from KBers that have used it, they are not impressed.
One big bonus for Yamaha is the people dedicated to designing programs that work with that model. I'm sure korg would sell more KB's if they spent a little time on the aftersales help. It really is a magic KB and a huge jump for me from the kn6000 and the psr710. C'mon korg do your stuff.
baz
Posted by: Nigel

Re: style converting - 03/18/13 02:16 AM

Baz, if you have any converted styles you want to share you can zip them up ( if they have an extension that isn't supported ... though I would be happy to add support for most file types ) and add them to your posting as a file attachment.

Re: style converting - 03/18/13 03:47 PM

I have a pa50sd and have converted some pa3x styles to the pa50sd. I basically loaded the style bank into styleworks Xt demo as pa3x format then export the parts to midi. I import the parts to pa50sd.

Re: style converting - 03/18/13 03:48 PM

I'm not sure if styleworks would import the different midi parts from the Yamaha style to midi program.

Re: style converting - 03/18/13 04:36 PM

Nigel.
I've done a couple so far. Rasputin and col bogey. The intros and endings come out fair but v1 is a problem. Keeps having blank measures in it.I can't get the break to work. I'll do some more and send them across. Don't expect too much. I'm a beginner.
MM Some are pleased with style works Henni for one with ketron.
I would like to see some examples put on this site from people who have it. I'm reluctant to spend $200 dollars just on what people post.
baz
Posted by: Nigel

Re: style converting - 03/19/13 12:27 AM

Hey Baz, where on the east coast of Australia are you? Dunno if you know the song "Downhearted" by Australian Crawl. I helped record the very first version of that song with "The Flatheads" in a garage in Melbourne, Aus before Crawl picked it up to put it on their first album.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Crawl

Re: style converting - 03/19/13 04:45 PM

A little town called Urunga near coffs harbour. 2 rivers nearby for fishing and idealist temperature most of the year. Moved from Sydney 10 years ago when I retired from a heart condition.
For 15 years in Sydney, I was part of a group of keyboarders who got together twice each month at each others house to talk and play. There were mostly kn's but1 sultan owner and a korg owner. The info passed back and forth was terrific.
I can't seem to get the same thing going here sadly.
baz

Re: style converting - 03/28/13 10:26 PM

Sorry Nigel. I want to give you something decent but I'm stuck understanding what I'm doing wrong on the intro because it is a different key. I can't play Amin for the beginning or the C.
Back to more reading.
baz
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: style converting - 03/29/13 07:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Nigel
Hey Baz, where on the east coast of Australia are you? Dunno if you know the song "Downhearted" by Australian Crawl. I helped record the very first version of that song with "The Flatheads" in a garage in Melbourne, Aus before Crawl picked it up to put it on their first album.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Crawl

rotfl ... how many times have we seen guys trying to dance with young girls like that ??? dancers

Re: style converting - 03/29/13 08:37 PM

Her name was Lola. She was a showgirl.Sadly
baz
Posted by: The Saint

Re: style converting - 03/31/13 05:19 AM

Hi Baz, I had a suspicion it was the Baz Murf I knew from Hassall Grove some years ago.
The Creative Keyboard Club is still going strong. Bill and Bobby are playing "up there" and Alf cannot drive at night, so we have lost a few and gained 3 newies and meet every three weeks now.
Keith (Soltan, and still got it) has just bought a Tyros 4 and I have a KN 7000 and so has my bro. Don. Jim has a bit more interest in computers and photos now but still plays.
I have followed the Korg Pa3xpro with a great deal of interest as a replacement in case my Technics goes ape.
Good to hear you have not lost interest in the music.
There are some good guys here who can help you with most problems. I have received a lot of help in the past. My trouble is I am a player (and a lover)not a technician.

Regards Ray (from Castle Hill)
dance

Re: style converting - 03/31/13 03:47 PM

Wow Ray.
It's good to hear the old mates are still going.
Please look up my email and send me any news.I have tried to get the same sort of club going here but no interest so far.
My poor old kn6000 got a slight problem so I got a Yamaha 710. great little KB. I decided I wanted more challenge so I bought a korg pa3x. I got the challenge part. Haven't quite conquered it yet.
There is also a phone NO in my profile if you or the others want to call. I'd like to hear what everybody has.
It's lonely up here where no one seems to play
baz murf
Posted by: DonM

Re: style converting - 04/03/13 08:55 AM

".j . . One is the loneliest number . . ."
smile
DonM