Anyone own/use a Yamaha S08?

Posted by: RW

Anyone own/use a Yamaha S08? - 04/30/03 12:20 PM

I really like the feel of this board. I understand it is the same keyboard as the S90 and the Motif8. The S08 being about 1000 and the S90 being about 1800-1900, man that's a big dollar jump, for aftertouch, expandability, A/D input and subjectively better sounds?

Is the S90/Motif sounds really much better than the S08's sounds?

Thanks in advance.
Bob
<><
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Anyone own/use a Yamaha S08? - 04/30/03 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RW:
man that's a big dollar jump, for aftertouch, expandability, A/D input and subjectively better sounds?
Is the S90/Motif sounds really much better than the S08's sounds?

Well when you look at all these extra features, that is what you are paying extra for. I haven't played the S08 but I did try out the S80 ( sounds that are similar to the S08) and thought it lacked in sound quality on some sounds including acoustic piano, and I passed on it. But recently I tried a Motif 6, and thought it sounded a LOT better. So my answer would be that the S90 also probably sounds much better than the S08, being based on the Motif engine. You really need to go to a store yourself and try these keyboards out and make the decision yourself based on your own judgement. Yes, the price increase you mention is substantial but only your own ears will tell you whether you can settle for the cheaper option.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 05-01-2003).]

Re: Anyone own/use a Yamaha S08? - 05/01/03 08:11 AM

Thanks Nigel.

I've listened to them both but at different times. One day I went to GC and the S08 was out. I played it and it sounded fine to me. Of course they have these really nice stereo speakers not more than 4 feet away from your head. They didn't have the S90 out on the floor. Then a month later, there's the S90, but the place was so busy with other people, it was difficult to get a really good listen to the S90. There's like always two or more people blasting away with those looping beats and appregiators from the Karma's, and Tritons. Those keyboards (Karma and Tritons) make it easy for anyone to crank out rhythm patterns. So I never did actually get a good comparison of the two boards.

I think I will go with my friend who also plays keys, And we'll go just before the store closes up, We can then each play the very same riffs back and forth. That really ought to tell me something. I really want a clean, definite sounding board. I have an RS-9 now and it's strings and a few organs, and few EP's are doing a very good job for me. But when I switch to piano, forget it. It's fair at best. I think the weighted keys make a big difference as well.

Anyway.. Thanks Nigel

Bob
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Anyone own/use a Yamaha S08? - 05/01/03 11:39 PM

The weighted keys really DO make a difference to playing precision which does make the S08 great value for its price range. The only reason I was critical of the S80 acoustic piano sound was that I was trying it in a music store alongside a bunch of high end keyboards. But given the price of the S08 with an 88 note weighted keyboard, it is hard to beat.

When I read my previous posting I realized I hadn't meant to sound so negative. It was more that I was impressed by the quality of the Motif when I heard it ... but it comes at a price. In a live situation the difference may be unoticable. I was auditioning with speakers within close range. And I was only listening to classic keyboard emulations and not other categories of sounds.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 05-01-2003).]
Posted by: supermanrulez

Re: Anyone own/use a Yamaha S08? - 05/10/03 02:37 PM

The S90 is actually a huge step up from the S08 and even the S80. It has all the motif sounds and performances plus a special sampled piano exclusive only to the S90. The overall sound set is more usable than anything else I played and there are tons of free sounds as well. I searched for over a year and checked out everything available (ie Korg Triton, Roland XV series and the new Fantom S88 (which is a huge disappointment), The Kurzweil k2600 ect.) For the price, you can't beat the quality of the S90. The acoustical stuff on the S90 will knock you socks off. It really is a very powerful synth.

The S08 although similiar to the S90, lacks many of the same sounds. They use different formats to sample the sounds. Regardless of what I or anyone else think, you have to check things out and decide for yourself. The only bad decision you can make is the one thats not right for you. Good luck!

Chris

Re: Anyone own/use a Yamaha S08? - 05/12/03 01:56 PM

Thanks guys. Well the deal is done. I couldn't get the dough for the S90. It would have taken forever and I know me, in the meantime I would have given up and looked for a cheaper solution. In fact that's what I did. I'm picking up an S80. It's used but in mint condition. And for the price of an S08. When I played an S80 a couple of years ago, I fell in love with the board. But I couldn't afford it then so I went with a Fatar SL-880 and a JV1010. I got a good deal on these units. Plus next to the S80, the Fatar SL-880 had the best action I could find. I do like the SL-880's action. Then a couple years later when I'm about ready to afford a new S80 (or close to it anyway), there was no more for sale. Just the S90. What a machine that s90 is. But I couldn't afford one. I seen the S08 and it felt great but no expansion bummed me out and the piano sound, well, it's no better than my Roland's bult-in Session Board's StereoPiano in the JV1010. Then I recalled how much I wanted an S80 two years ago and even up until I seen the S90, and started looking for a used S80. I found me a good'n. I just have to wait for it to be shipped to me.

So there it is. A compromise between the S90 and the S08 that I can truly be happy with. The funny thing now is, Well it was two years ago that I played the S80. I loved the action then!. I recently played both the S90 and the S08 and I really like their action, but I didn't get that feeling about touching the keys with the S08 and S90 that I got with the S80. They must have different keybeds no? I recall the S80 having really good resistance, which I like.

Thank guys.
<><
Bob

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 05-12-2003).]