PSR 2000 - runs on batteries ??????

Posted by: Merwyn Samson

PSR 2000 - runs on batteries ?????? - 11/26/02 02:53 AM

Hi guys, am from India,

Can anyone tell me if the MIC input of the PSR 2k is Mono or Stereo ?

What should be the Ohms value of the MIC - Any suggestions on this is welcome.

Something strange I saw on my PSR 2k. Below on the back cover of the 2K is written "Made in Japan" - Insert 6 batteries of 1.5v - I found no battery cover at all. The entire cover is a one single piece.

Does it run on batteries at all ?
Posted by: Pilot

Re: PSR 2000 - runs on batteries ?????? - 11/29/02 05:56 AM

Dunno about the PSR2k but my 740 has an unbalanced mono mic input at 50k and since the 2000 was a follow on from the 740 they're probably the same. The gain is very low so you probably need a mic transformer at the very least with a dynamic mic in spite of what it says in the manual. The 740 case is molded to take batteries but the hole is covered with a metal plate. I think the intention was to use them but they decided that it took too much power so it got canned. Same with the 2000.

Re: PSR 2000 - runs on batteries ?????? - 12/01/02 09:47 PM

Thanks a lot Pilot. Subsequent to my writing, I'd seen in a website that a 250ohm directional mic would be appropriate. I have'nt tried it yet. As regards the battery cover, - what you say makes good thinking. I hope its true and that am not cheated by an imitation Yamaha.

Regards,
Sam

Quote:
Originally posted by Pilot:
Dunno about the PSR2k but my 740 has an unbalanced mono mic input at 50k and since the 2000 was a follow on from the 740 they're probably the same. The gain is very low so you probably need a mic transformer at the very least with a dynamic mic in spite of what it says in the manual. The 740 case is molded to take batteries but the hole is covered with a metal plate. I think the intention was to use them but they decided that it took too much power so it got canned. Same with the 2000.
Posted by: YamahaUS1

Re: PSR 2000 - runs on batteries ?????? - 12/04/02 04:02 PM

Sam,

Yamaha makes many parts interchangeable between models. The PSR2000 and the PSR 740 were never designed to use batteries even though they look like they have a battery compartment.

Regards,

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America

[This message has been edited by YamahaUS1 (edited 12-06-2002).]

Re: PSR 2000 - runs on batteries ?????? - 12/04/02 09:28 PM

Thanks a lot Steve, very kind of you to reply. I feel better now.

By the way, is the Mike input mono or stereo ?

Regards,
Sam
Posted by: YamahaUS1

Re: PSR 2000 - runs on batteries ?????? - 12/06/02 04:40 PM

The mic input is mono

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America
Posted by: Pilot

Re: PSR 2000 - runs on batteries ?????? - 12/07/02 02:32 PM

The mic input on my 740 is rather noisy. I had a look at the schematic and Yamaha used a general purpose chip which was never intended for low noise operation for the mic amp. I'm going to swap it for a low noise chip just to see what happens. I'll report back when I've done it but it won't be for a while.