SETTINGS QUESTION

Posted by: kitkat

SETTINGS QUESTION - 02/06/15 08:12 AM

This question is because I am not sure just what takes place in the KN7000 with settings. When playing in a Variation and the Fill-in is used, do the settings in the Fill-in change for what has been composed in the Fill-in that differ from the settings in the Variation? Also, any settings in Variations or Fill-ins, in COMPOSER, are they negated by the settings in the play mode? I hope I have made myself clear.

Mark
Posted by: RMepstead

Re: SETTINGS QUESTION - 02/06/15 08:56 AM

Fill-ins are little 2 or 4 beat files a bit like each variation. Those that are part the standard rhythms built in to the keyboard can be changed by either composing replacement ones or by moving other fill-ins to replace the existing ones.
Non-standard rhythms/style files that have been imported from elsewhere usually come with their own fill-ins as well but they too can be changed as above.
As far as I am aware any settings that you organise for a rhythm apply also to the fill-ins.
Does this help or have I misunderstood you completely?

Re: SETTINGS QUESTION - 02/06/15 09:07 AM

Hi Rog,

I think this answers my questions:

"As far as I am aware any settings that you organise for a rhythm apply also to the fill-ins."

I suppose regardless of what you have in settings in the play mixer, playing a fill-in will play the settings you did for it in COMPOSER.

I must make something clear that I didn't state in my question, I am speaking of volumes set in each part in COMPOSER.

Thanks,

Mark
Posted by: designserve

Re: SETTINGS QUESTION - 02/06/15 10:10 AM

Hi Mark,

The settings for volume in the Composer are relative. They are expressed as a negative number in the Part Settings of the Composer. So, let's say you have your bass part set to a Volume of 105 on the main screen or mixer and the Balance setting of the bass in the Composer is set to -15 then the actual resulting volume is 105-15=90. This balance can (has to) be set for each part of each intro, ending, fills and variations individually, 20 in all (which is quite painful when you want to edit them, lots of edits to tweak an entire Composer!).

There is something misleading when Composer editing... you can adjust the volumes but that is only for auditioning whilst you are editing. They only persist if you edit the Balance in the Part Settings. More's the pity!

Best wishes,
Mike

Re: SETTINGS QUESTION - 02/06/15 11:22 AM

Thanks, Mike.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!!!

Mark
Posted by: jd5live

Re: SETTINGS QUESTION - 02/06/15 02:36 PM

Mark, you asked!!!.LOL. there is one hell of alot to composer Both Mike and I have been working out the little bits and pieces and there ain't a few, there is plenty,It offers you great power over the end effect but make sure you have your beer and food hamper at hand because as someone famous said" I might be some time" but still have fun and have a go
Regards John.
Posted by: designserve

Re: SETTINGS QUESTION - 02/06/15 05:27 PM

I barely used the Composer until a few weeks ago but it doesn't take long to learn, especially with emailing JD back and forth in the early hours for help, so give it a shot it is worth it. Still learning tho. Mmmmm food hamper!
Posted by: Bill Norrie

Re: SETTINGS QUESTION - 02/06/15 07:00 PM

I use the Composer for about 99% of my recordings - it's one of the most valuable parts of the KN7000. It allows me to produce much more authentic backings for my sequences, rather than the constantly repeating 4 measures within built-in or 'normal' styles. I also use it for live playing when backing a vocalist. The great thing about it is that you can include these little 'figures' and nuances which help to make a song/tune more authentic and each of the 4 variations can be up to 16 measures long. The 'Fill-Ins', Intros and Endings, can also be up to 16 measures.....
Posted by: nsr007

Re: SETTINGS QUESTION - 02/06/15 08:17 PM

Greetings,

I seldom check the forum anymore but found this post interesting. Bill, you couldn't have said it better and to my way of thinking with:

"The great thing about it is that you can include these little 'figures' and nuances which help to make a song/tune more authentic and each of the 4 variations can be up to 16 measures long. The 'Fill-Ins', Intros and Endings, can also be up to 16 measures...."

This may come as a surprise to many but doing total work in Composer settings in each of the variations and fill-ins and recording a song using sequencer, one only has to use the APC and Control track to record. The only reason you have to even use the APC is because of the first chord of the song to be initiated. Otherwise, it wouldn't even have to be used. What really is surprising, there is NO MEMORY LOSS. Regardless of the length of the song, it will only register 99% still in the sequencer track. How strange is that! Just think how long a song could be with having not only the 4 variations in Memory A, B, C for Composer but all the Fill-Ins in the variations. Adding all these, this makes one hell of a long song or composition that you can do! These kinds of posts make it interesting for me to on occasion visit the forum.

One more comment--Mike, you are right to a point with settings. However, if using the aforementioned way of recording that I said, the changes that the Control track makes will automatically make CORRECT the settings one has used in Composer for variations and fill-ins. Mark, this means the volume controls you asked about will automatically be correct with what you have used in each variation and fill-in.

Scott Reed
Posted by: RMepstead

Re: SETTINGS QUESTION - 02/07/15 02:31 AM

and I was trying to keep it simple...chuckle.
Posted by: jd5live

Re: SETTINGS QUESTION - 02/07/15 02:06 PM

The more we look the more we find, the KN7 was and to some extent still way ahead of it's time,that's why it's so dammed good.
John.