Key Repair

Posted by: Bob Hendershot

Key Repair - 05/30/12 06:56 AM

I have finally worn through a couple of keys on one of my KN7000's. There is a rough area on the keys that is distracting when I play. A careful look at the keys shows small indentations rather than a worn area completely through the plastic. I have given thought to opening the KN7000 and switching locations of key octaves which is probably what I will need to do in the future. But there is also the possibility that the area could be repaired temporarily with something like clear fingernail polish.

Before I attempt any repair, I thought I would ask if any of you have done any similar repair on KN7000 keys and if you could offer any ideas you have used.

I think I will begin to ask my students to wash their hands before using the keyboards. I know that body acids can hasten key wear.
Posted by: etwo4788

Re: Key Repair - 05/30/12 09:00 AM

Hand washing for all users seems like a good plan! How about very thin silky fabric gloves, thin plastic gloves?

If just hand washing, some very nice hand cream would be a good idea as well!

Maybe check with paint people for recommendations rather than jump in with clear nail polish?

When the problem is solved, please let us know Bob! My two 7K's are not getting any younger either! Nor am I! ;-)

Elizabeth
Posted by: Giovanni

Re: Key Repair - 05/30/12 09:03 AM

Hi Bob , I may be wrong but I'm almost certain that the actual keys can be removed and replaced and are available as a spare part .

Do you actually have the Kn7000 service manual ?
which shows all the component parts .

i live in the Uk so I would contact wd Greenhill if you want the e mail address just drop me a line .

The reason I'm sure the keys can be removed is because a friend of mine did it to his Yamaha PSR3000 and made it into a module .

Regards ....Giovanni
Posted by: Giovanni

Re: Key Repair - 05/30/12 09:24 AM

Hi Bob , I've just taken a look at the KN7000 service manual .
The keys can most certainly be removed and replaced and the procedure is explained in the manual complete with picture & instructions !!

Giovanni

Re: Key Repair - 05/30/12 10:35 AM

Thanks Elizabeth. Washing - yes. Not sure about lotion. Don't know what chemical interaction might be involved.

Yes, Giovanni, I have a service manual. They appear to be fabricated such that it is easier to change complete octaves than it is to change a single key. Since my problem is in the area where chords are often played, I plan to shift a complete octave from an area that is not used so much to where the bad keys are and put the bad keys in an area where I seldom use them. But that will only be done after I try a simpler method, if there is one.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Key Repair - 05/30/12 11:24 AM

Bob, All the answers that were posted have value -- My thought would be to buff the key; the indent will still be there but it will have a smooth feel.

John C.

Re: Key Repair - 05/30/12 11:48 AM

Thanks John. I tried that but the indents are apparently too deep. There are many tiny indents rather than a single indent. And, I didn't want to add too much to wear that was already there . . .

Re: Key Repair - 05/30/12 01:51 PM

I have decided to use the method that Giovanni suggested. It had been a while since I looked at the guts of the KN7000. It's fairly easy to remove one key at a time and switch it with one that is seldom used. That's easier than changing a complete octave.
Posted by: Bill Norrie

Re: Key Repair - 05/30/12 02:02 PM

Hi Bob,

Three of the keys in the Left hand area, of my original KN7000 also have fairly bad indents. I'm sure the cause was the fingernails on my left hand. I do keep them quite short but it seems that the surface of the keys on that KN7000 is very soft.

My second KN7000 has a slightly different looking set of keys and they don't seem to have suffered the same damage. The surface seems to be harder and a slightly different white colour, and the white keys have minor shape differences compared to the other KN7000. I assume that Technics used different 'keybed' suppliers during manufacture.

One of these days, I'll get round to either replacing the keys or as you intend to do Bob - move them........ If I decide to dismantle the KN7000, then I'll change some of the worn buttons on the control panel as well !
I believe W.D. Greenhill in UK has a good supply of spares.
Posted by: Audrey Turner

Re: Key Repair - 05/30/12 03:40 PM

Hi Bob,

Whatever you do, do NOT use any hand cream/lotions. When my keys began to wear, I complained to Technics and the first question they asked was whether I used hand cream. I confirmed that I regularly use it and was told that certain creams/lotions are known to have an adverse affect on keyboard casings. I immediately stopped putting any creams/lotions on my hands before playing the KN7 but of course, the damage was done.

Audrey

Re: Key Repair - 05/30/12 04:10 PM

Repair has been completed. Switched three keys with others that were seldom used, with little effort. The hard part is lifting the keyboard and opening and closing the cabinet. I'm getting too old for this kind of stuff. If there was a good repair shop near me I would let them do it next time.
Posted by: gambler

Re: Key Repair - 05/30/12 05:59 PM

For anyone who may be interested, I had the same problem with a couple of keys on the left hand section of the keyboard too. I'd bought a white bath enamel repair kit for a repair on my bath. The kit comes in 2 parts, the white enamel and hardener.

l decided to give it a try as it's meant for acrylic baths too. Mix a small amount together and place a couple of small blobs onto the indent. Smooth it over the indent, till it's flat over the indent, then allow to dry. I then polished over the keys and they are completly smooth again. It was also a good match to the original colour.

Russ

Re: Key Repair - 05/30/12 07:22 PM

Thank you, Russ. I may try that later on the keys that I moved. Will see first if they bother me any more.
Posted by: kitkat

Re: Key Repair - 05/31/12 09:47 AM

Bob -

I smiled reading your question and all the responses. I immediately thought, just cut your damn fingernails and you won't have this problem. Down the line of posts, I read that Bill said it was a fingernail problem. A lesson learned, Bob.

Mark
Posted by: Audrey Turner

Re: Key Repair - 05/31/12 03:23 PM

I don't agree that it's down to long fingernails. Before doing a 'gig' I always make sure my nails are short and well manicured, because apart from being uncomfortable, I find it is almost impossible to play fast boogie/jazz/rags etc. if my nails are too long.

Do other members have this problem?

Audrey
Posted by: RC

Re: Key Repair - 06/01/12 06:18 AM

my keys are doing the same thing
Posted by: etwo4788

Re: Key Repair - 06/01/12 07:04 AM

Audrey

Yes, Playing fast music requires very short fingernails!
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Key Repair - 06/01/12 02:09 PM

I have tuned pianos where the key cover was almost shredded from long nails of the player. And --- red on the white keys from nail polish.

Not me, my left hand has very short nails – longer nails on my right hand; it is required in order to play finger style. (no pick)

John C.
Posted by: The Saint

Re: Key Repair - 06/03/12 01:31 AM

I have a wear mark on the C key lower keyboard on my PR903 piano and I am sure it is from my index finger playing chords as I do (organ style) within the two "F,s"., and my nails are not long, but when playing chords within the black notes I have to have my index finger vertical which brings the nail onto the key. (I know, too much information) !!!
Ray dance

Re: Key Repair - 06/03/12 06:46 AM

That is exactly my problem, Ray. I also have an organ background. My fingernails are always very short. The key with the most wear is the C key. It is not from playing a C chord. The wear is further in and is located where my index finger hits the key when I play a Cm or diminished chord. On those chords my hand moves forward to play the Eb with my thumb and the index finger is slightly curled under. There is no way to touch the key with anything other than the nail with that fingering.
Posted by: The Saint

Re: Key Repair - 06/04/12 12:03 AM

Hi Bob, exactly so.
Ray dance
Posted by: Dave L.

Re: Key Repair - 09/22/12 01:55 AM

Hello Bob,
If you want to stall pulling the K7 apart at the moment I did a cheapy some time ago
A small strip of good quality Wite insulation tape on the damaged notes helps
The owner that caused that damaged says now he cuts his finger nails shorter now .
Once the groving of the note is done the damage is done
I wonder if organ keys are different to the kn 7000
I have an old broken down Technics EA1 in the shed .

Pity the EA1 organ doesn't have computer parts that our broken down K7 apparently needs----- Read Naughty KN7000 in the technics Forum ------.

Re: Key Repair - 09/22/12 05:55 AM

I fixed my KN7000 back in May by switching some keys around so that the worn keys were put into locations that are seldom used.

Shorter fingernails don't solve the primary problem. If you have an organ background your index finger often curls under somewhat with several chords so that the nail is the first thing that touches the key even if it is trimmed down to the quick.