Styles for Shirley Bassey songs

Posted by: Anthony Johnson

Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/05/11 10:14 AM

I recently watched the BBC TV dramatisation of the early years of Shirley Bassey where a brilliant Ruth Negga did a fantastic job of portraying Dame Shirley.
This reminded me how much I enjoyed listening to Shirley and I must have spent a fair sum on her records in the 60's.
I suddenly realised that I play very few of her songs despite being such a fan of hers and put this down to the fact that my 2 favourites "I who have nothing" and "What now my love" are both songs which will not fit any style on my keyboards (this is usually the case for my favourite tunes).

Does anyone know of any styles written for these 2 specific songs - preferably true to the backing on Shirleys records and shows - either for the Technics KN7000 or the Tyros4?
Technics boards seem to be the only ones with many song specific styles available but I am unaware of any styles for the 2 songs in question.
It's rare to come across song specific styles for Yamaha boards at all, although I live in hope.

I am more than willing to purchase these if I can find a style producer who can supply the required styles.
Tony
Posted by: Bill Norrie

Re: Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/06/11 07:14 AM

Hi Tony,

Give me a couple days and I'll see if I can create a couple of styles for you........;)

Re: Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/06/11 09:36 AM

Many thanks Bill - take all the time you need mate.
Your efforts are always much appreciated and I don't expect you to drop everything for me.
Posted by: Audrey Turner

Re: Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/10/11 05:06 AM

Hello Tony,

I have two versions of "I Who Have Nothing"
1) uses Rock Ballad
2) uses Sould Ballad

I think both are good, but it'll depend on the age of your audience as to which you use.

Hope this helps! Audrey

Re: Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/10/11 10:15 AM

Hi Tony,
Two Bassey Song Styles winging their way to you.... Check your email smile
Posted by: Giovanni

Re: Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/10/11 04:12 PM

Hi Bill , I would really love to have a copy of the two styles you have made for those great Shirley Bassey hit songs .

i hope I'm not being to much trouble .

regards .....Giovanni
Posted by: Bert Aarts

Re: Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/11/11 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Bill Norrie
Hi Tony,
Two Bassey Song Styles winging their way to you.... Check your email smile

Knowing your great styles, please send to me too. I have the sheet music but could not find a suitable style for this yet.
Thanks in advance!
Bert
Posted by: RMepstead

Re: Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/11/11 03:18 AM

Wow - what a talent - well done again Bill...Rog

Re: Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/11/11 04:43 AM

OK Guys smile Check your mail boxes......

Roger, do you want them ? I see your legs are still in plaster laugh
Posted by: Bert Aarts

Re: Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/11/11 07:18 AM

Thanks a lot Bill!
Great compositions, amazing how you can do this.
Bert
Posted by: RMepstead

Re: Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/11/11 07:24 AM

Hi again Bill - yes please and how very observant of you...cheeky...
Posted by: hbinfo2001

Re: Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/12/11 06:09 PM

Hi Bill Ill appreciated if you can send me these styles
Thanks in advance

Re: Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/13/11 03:05 AM

OK Howard - Check your email smile

Re: Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/13/11 07:00 AM

Hi Audrey,
Many thanks for your kind offer but the extremely talented, Bill (Norrie) has sent me two amazing styles which he has made specifically for those 2 songs which faithfully reproduce the original arrangements.
If anyone likes playing Bassey show-stoppers, these styles are a must.
Best wishes,
Tony
PS. I remember you were on the point of buying a Wersi Wing -
wondered if you went through with the purchase and if so, whether you like it.
Like you, I bought a Tyros4 for if my KN7000 dies on me and, again like you, was disappointed with some (not all) aspects of it.
Posted by: hbinfo2001

Re: Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/13/11 05:46 PM

Hi,Bill thanks a million for these styles,very wonderfull
Thanks again

Message for all members of this Forum - 10/14/11 04:33 PM

I am having problems with Windows Live Mail. I keep getting a message that my server doesn't support 'SSL' whatever that is. This means that whilst I can receive messages, I am unable to SEND them.

I am with BT and they are aware of this problem but to date, cannot find a solution so until they do, I apologise if anyone has sent me a personal email which hasn't been answered.

Of course I'll keep in touch through this Forum.

Audrey
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Message for all members of this Forum - 10/15/11 02:33 AM

Bill

Could you send me the styles also ?

Bernie
ps
I am still wowing them with your great songs too.

Re: Message for all members of this Forum - 10/15/11 02:39 AM

Check Your email Bernie smile
Posted by: RC

Re: Message for all members of this Forum - 10/15/11 06:33 AM

Audrey- I sent you a E mail on the 13 Oct relative to questions about a Korg Pa3x. I wonder if you received it. RC Bellotti
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Message for all members of this Forum - 10/15/11 06:55 AM

Hi Bill

Got it. In reading your text, it is evident that this was some undertaking, at least for most people.

Can't wait to try it out.

Many thanks,
Bernie
Posted by: Mike Aviv

Re: Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/15/11 04:02 PM

Hello Bill,

I love these two songs, years ago I used to sing them with my band, if it's not to much to ask, can you please send me a copy,
I would like to thank you in advance, I am sure they are great.

Mike Aviv

Re: Message for all members of this Forum - 10/15/11 04:37 PM

Hello Roger, the answer to your question is "Yes I did receive your email" but as I said, I am unable to send emails why? I don't exactly know yet (neither does BT or Microsoft would you believe)

Anyway, to get back to your question. I have two very important gigs coming up and have been trying to get all my dances, medleys etc. saved to the Tyros 4. I have 27 ring binders with 20 medleys to each and despite having had the T4 since last Christmas and because of the horrendous operating system used by Yamaha, I am still only on Medley Book 6 and this is my main complaint about the Tyros keyboards, they entail a lot of 'button pushing' which is far too time consuming and in my opinion, completely unnecessary in this day and age,. When you consider how quickly in the last few years the mobile phones, PCs, Cameras and Television have become more 'User Friendly' why is it Yamaha haven't kept up I wonder? O.K. the sound system is better, but the styles etc. are still very much like the original Tyros in fact, some sound better on the older keyboards at times - more suited to certain tunes I'd say.

With regards to the Korg PAX3 - yes I did like this keyboard very much and was particularly interested in the 76-note one because as an old 'honky tonk' type pianist, I do miss the extra notes in the bass. I know you can drop/up the octave, but it isn't the same somehow. It has a lovely sound and a well thought out operating system. Unfortunately, I only played it for about 10 minutes (it was in great demand at Pakefield) so I am not able to give you an honest opinion.
However, I liked the way the speaker system connected direct to the keyboard itself, thus eliminating a trail of leads, but I must confess it did occur to me that if for any reason there was a 'glitch' in the connection, you would be left without a sound system (unless you also use separate speakers but then this would defeat the object of 'no leads')

The other factor of course was the price, although I was given a very generous part exchange offer for the Tyros 4.

However, for me the KN7000 is still the 'king' of the keyboards for simplicity and sound, particularly when used with an amplification system. The choice is your Roger.

(Sorry Nigel, if I've gone on a bit. Hopefully this is a one- off).

Audrey
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/15/11 05:54 PM

Bill,
I was playing my Km7000 today and I remembered your post about the styles you created – if it is easy would you send me them.

I promise to send my full opinion via your email.
It is always nice to see the work from someone who has been here forever; and that’s a complement.

Thank you, John C.

PS, my Korg Pa800 sits in my room with the Kn7000; it is hard to pass without playing it.

Re: Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/16/11 05:06 AM

Hi John and Mike,

Check your emails and thanks for your interest smile
Posted by: Mike Aviv

Re: Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/16/11 08:35 AM

Bill,

I have just played the songs, they are great, reflected by your talent, grat taste and attention to detail.

Thanks

Mike Aviv
Posted by: Giovanni

Re: Styles for Shirley Bassey songs - 10/20/11 10:20 AM

Hi Bill , I just wanted to thank you for sending me the 2 Shirley Bassey styles/sequences that you have created .
You are a master of creating styles ...they are first class .

I'm sure our "Shirley" would be more than happy to sing to the wonderful backing tracks you have produced .

Once again .....many thanks .

best Regards .........Giovanni