Re Bernies styles

Posted by: D.Munson

Re Bernies styles - 01/23/10 07:38 AM

I followed Bill's instructions and downloaded the styles to a desktop folder.
I formatted a bran new 1GB SD card on my KN7000, then up loaded the styles to the card and checked to see if they were on the card ok. When I tried to load them on my KN7000 a message told me "the file that you tried to load is empty" What's gone wrong?
Any ideas? Incidentally if anyone wants a 1GB card they are obtainable from www.premier-ink.co.uk Derek
Posted by: Bert Aarts

Re: Re Bernies styles - 01/23/10 08:01 AM

Derek,
I followed Bill's instructions and also loaded to a 1GB card. No problem.
Did you copy a file to the card to establish the KN7000 directory/file structure (PRIVATE > TECHNICS > KN7000)after formatting in KN7?

Re: Re Bernies styles - 01/23/10 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bert Aarts:
Derek,
I followed Bill's instructions and also loaded to a 1GB card. No problem.
Did you copy a file to the card to establish the KN7000 directory/file structure (PRIVATE > TECHNICS > KN7000)after formatting in KN7?

Thanks Bert that's where I went wrong, am now in the process of re-loading on to the sd card

Re: Re Bernies styles - 01/23/10 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by D.Munson:
Thanks Bert that's where I went wrong, am now in the process of re-loading on to the sd card

It still didn't work !! Derek
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Re Bernies styles - 01/23/10 11:47 AM

I wonder if it could be Bill's 1/13 post, item 7 ?
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/005144.html
Posted by: Bill Norrie

Re: Re Bernies styles - 01/23/10 01:04 PM

Since a few people seem to be having problems transferring Bernie's styles to SD Card, perhaps a different method may make it easier

Go here : http://www.4shared.com/file/205388070/943a2076/KN7000.html and download the file. Then use either Song Manager or Fred's KN SD_Explorer program to 'Restore' the file to a blank SD Card, using a USB Reader Writer. The file is a direct copy of my SD Card and is in SDB format, suitable for the direct restore operation.
Posted by: Bob Hendershot

Re: Re Bernies styles - 01/23/10 03:31 PM

Excellent, Bill

Re: Re Bernies styles - 01/24/10 02:42 AM

Thanks Bill, for straightening out my incomplete structure.
Bernie
Posted by: The Saint

Re: Re Bernies styles - 01/24/10 08:49 PM

Thanks to all involved.
My problem solved by using new SD card. No more delays, obviously the card is faulty, and I will return it.
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

Re: Re Bernies styles - 01/25/10 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by D.Munson:

I'm not getting anywhere with loading Bernies style onto a SD card. I have no problem downloading onto a floppy disc then loading on to my KN7000, then transfering on to a SD card.
The Song Manager Bill mentioned I could not transfer the styles using that, and the only way I can use the styles on my KN7000 is by the method I mentioned although of course it takes an eternity to do. Derek
Posted by: Audrey Turner

Re: Re Bernies styles - 01/26/10 03:53 PM

I am not having any success with Bernie's styles either Derek. My KN7 shows the same message "empty"

I have now formatted a new SD Card in the KN7, saved etc. downloaded Bernie's styles
three times and still, I get this message.
Even Fred's tool cannot load it. I've given up now, as I have an important 'gig' coming up and must concentrate on getting a programme together.

Thank you any way Bernie, it is good of you to think of us all.

Audrey

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 01-30-2010).]

Re: Re Bernies styles - 01/27/10 02:12 AM

I'm a bit busy at present, but give me a couple of days or so and I'll write a step-by-step procedure for restoring the styles from the Back-Up file which I placed on the "4shared" website...............

Re: Re Bernies styles - 01/27/10 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Audrey Turner:
I am having any success with Bernie's styles either Derek. My KN7 shows the same message "empty"

I have now formatted a new SD Card in the KN7, saved etc. downloaded Bernie's styles
Even Fred's tool cannot load it. I've given up now, as I have an important 'gig' coming up and must concentrate on getting a programme together.

Audrey

Yes Audrey, this is exactly what I was getting on my KN7000 when I tried to load the card."The file that you tried to load is empty. Derek

Re: Re Bernies styles - 01/27/10 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Audrey Turner:
I am having any success with Bernie's styles either Derek. My KN7 shows the same message "empty"

Audrey

Yes Audrey, this is exactly what I was getting on my KN7000 when I tried to load the card."The file that you tried to load is empty. Derek
Posted by: hbinfo2001

Re: Re Bernies styles - 01/27/10 01:48 PM

Hi,I download all the pads on a disquette and I try to save them on another sd card but no luck His there a procedure to download them on the sd card from the disk
Thanks

Re: Re Bernies styles - 01/27/10 02:04 PM

Restoring Bernie's Styles to SD Card

To enable this procedure to be followed, I must assume the following :
1. You are able to successfully download the .SDB file from the 4shared website, to a location on your PC.
2. You have access to an SD Card Reader/Writer module which can be connected to your PC via a USB port.
3. You have a Blank SD Card with a capacity of 256MB or greater.
4. You have either the Panasonic Song Manager program, or Fred Mellink's KN-SDExplorer program installed on your PC.

There are some differences in the procedures using Song Manager and Fred's program, so a procedure is written for both programs.

Procedure 1 - Using Song Manager.

1. Go to http://www.4shared.com/file/205388070/943a2076/KN7000.html and download the 'KN7000.sdb' file. For simplicity, I suggest you download the file to your
Desktop. The file is approximately 90MB in length so will take some time to transfer.
2. Insert a blank unformatted SD Card in your Reader/Writer module and connect to a USB port your PC - an extra small Icon will appear in the Taskbar's Notification area (Near the Clock)
3. Start the Panasonic Song Manager program .
4. In the top Menu of the Song Manager window, Left Click on the 'SD Manage' entry - a drop-down menu will appear.
5. Click on the 'SD Restore' option - another window will open.
6. At the top of the window in the section 'Look in:', click on the small down-arrow button at the right side of the 'Look in' section.
7. In the drop-down list of folders, click on the 'Desktop' entry - a list of files/folders on your particular Desktop, will then appear in the window.
8. Use the scroll bar on the right of the window to scroll through the entries, and look for the 'KN7000.sdb' file.
9. Click on the 'KN7000.sdb' and the filename will appear in the 'File name' section of the window.
10 Click on the 'Open' button and a warning window will appear, informing you that all current data on the card, will be erased. Click on 'Yes'.
11. A new window will open - 'SD Card Selection' - Click on 'The SD Card in the SD Card Reader/Writer'. Another window will open.
12. Scroll through the list of files/folders in the window and look for an entry named 'Removable Disk' or similar.
13. Depending on how your PC is configured, when you scroll through the list you may or may not see the 'Removable Disk' entry. If this is the case, look for the 'Computer' or 'My Computer' entry and click on that entry, to expand the content. You should then see the 'Removable Desk' entry.
14. Click on 'Removable Disk' to define the target location for the decompressed KN7000 files, followed by OK.
15. The Decompression / Transfer process will then start and if your Reader/Writer has an 'activity LED', you should see this LED illuminate and rapidly flash.
16. The process will take quite a bit of time - around 15 minutes or so - and when it has finished, you should see a small pop-up window 'Completed'.
17. Click OK, close the Song Manager window and Click on the small Icon in the Taskbar notification area (Near the Clock) to safely remove the USB Reader/Writer module. The SD Card will then be ready to use in your KN7000.

Procedure 2 - Using KN-SDExplorer.

The KN-SDExplorer program does not recognise a blank SD Card, when it is connected via an SD Reader/Writer on a USB port, so an additional step is required to enable the program to recognise the card.

1. Place a blank SD Card in your KN7000 and execute a Save procedure - it does not matter what you save - it is just a procedure to establish the folder/file structure on the SD Card, so that the KN-SDExplorer program will recognise the Card.
2. Insert the SD Card in your Reader/Writer module and connect to a USB port your PC - an extra small Icon will appear in the Taskbar's Notification area (Near the Clock)
3. Depending on the configuration of your PC, a Pop-Up window may appear providing program options and asking "What do you want Window to do?" If this occurs, then click on the KN-SD Explorer option and then OK. This will open the program.
4. If the Pop-up window does not appear, then just start the KN-SDExplorer program in the normal way.....
5. Click on the 'File' option in the top Menu and in the drop-down menu, click on 'Restore'. Another window will open.
6. At the top of the window in the section 'Look in:', click on the small down-arrow button at the right side of the 'Look in' section.
7. In the drop-down list of folders, click on the 'Desktop' entry - a list of files/folders on your particular Desktop, will then appear in the window.
8. Use the scroll bar on the right of the window to scroll through the entries, and look for the 'KN7000.sdb' file.
9. Click on the 'KN7000.sdb' and the filename will appear in the 'File name' section of the window.
10. Click on 'Open' and a warning message will appear asking you if you wish to delete the existing songs - Click on OK to clear the Card content.
11. The Decompression and Restore process will then begin, a 'progress' window will appear and the 'active' LED on the Reader/Writer module will illuminate.
12 The process will take some time - around 20 minutes - and when it has finished, the program will carry out a verification process and the progress window will close.
13. The Main KN-SD Explorer will then display all the 'TFLD' files on the Card.
14 Close the KN-SDExplorer window and Click on the small Icon in the Taskbar notification area (Near the Clock) to safely remove the USB Reader/Writer module.

The SD Card will then be ready to use in your KN7000.

Hope this helps - I cannot make the process any simpler

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 01-27-2010).]
Posted by: RMepstead

Re: Re Bernies styles - 01/30/10 01:24 AM

Popped out and bought a new 2gig SD Card - initialised it in my KN7000 - used Song Manager for KN to transfer these files to it - and Bob's your uncle it works perfectly - many thanks Bernie...

Re: Re Bernies styles - 01/30/10 01:42 AM

Hi Rog
We are gearing up for our annual Jam in Florida, and I was thinking of my three favorite Brits. Your names come up all the time.
Hip Hip Hooray

Re: Re Bernies styles - 01/30/10 06:58 AM

Aaah - memories...
Rog
Posted by: trevorjohn

Re: Re Bernies styles - 02/02/10 04:40 AM

I have also been trying to load the styles with exactly the same problems described by others. I must point our that I have recently acquired a KN7000 after a long spell on Tyroses 1 and 2. (Is that the right plural for Tyros?). I did not get anything other than the board and manual so I do not have the Panasonic Song Manager Program which appears to be essential to perform this load.
Is it possible to obtain the disc on which this program appears? I am so pleased to be playing the KN7000 again after the Tyros years but do find some of the built in styles a bit dated and would very much like to be able to load others.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Trevor
dated

Re: Re Bernies styles - 02/02/10 05:25 AM

Hi Trevor and welcome back to the 'Technics Fold'

You'll find the files necessary to burn an 'Applications and Drivers' CD, (Which includes Song Manager) on my website : http://www.willumspages.co.uk/ Tech Tips page - Tip number 15. You should also download either Tip 1 or 2 - depending on your PC operating system, which describes the installation procedure for the drivers and programs on the CD.

Regarding the KN7000 built-in styles - you can also download all the built-in styles from the previous KN series (2000 - 6500 and KN2400/2600) here : http://www.willumspages.co.uk/page8.html All these styles have been re-configured to KN7000 format.
There are also around 160 styles available which are configured for specific songs/tunes, rather than being of a generic format.

Have Fun!

Re: Re Bernies styles - 02/02/10 05:45 AM

Many thanks for your prompt reply Bill. I will burn the CD forthwith. I have already downloaded the styles from you site but have so far been unable to load them..Will try again later.

Many thanks again

Trevor

Re: Re Bernies styles - 02/06/10 04:02 AM

After I replied to your last post Bill I have had to give other matters my undivided attention so have been unable to respond until now. I have encountered some problems. These may be due to computer mismatches in part. My PC runs on Windows 7 and my laptop on XP. I have downloaded everything OK onto the PC but I suspect that it doesn't like the Technics programs because as soon as I try to transfer into Song Manager I get an error message. My router doesn't work on the la top, only on XP and Vista. The other complication is that I cannot obtain any 1gig SD cards locally and the 7000 wont accept 2gig cards. The ones that I have from my old 7000 come from the days when 16mb was massive and they are no use for files of the size involved here. I shall continue to search on the web.

I don't know if anyone knows the answer to another problem I have. As I said in my first post, the KN7000 which I bought had no software with it but it has got a lot of the previous owner's setting which I would like to replace. Factory reset doesn't remove them and the manual mentions a CD which would.. Is this obtainable nowadays or is there another way to achieve my objective?

I have spotted the link to Premier-Ink and will check whether they still have the 1GB cards.

Cheers,

Trevor

Re: Re Bernies styles - 02/06/10 04:14 AM

Success. They still have the 1 gig cards

Re: Re Bernies styles - 02/06/10 04:15 AM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandisk-1Gb-Secure-Digital-card/dp/B00065KA7C

Re: Re Bernies styles - 02/06/10 06:19 AM

Trevor - you may not know it but you live very near to Audrey...could be helpful...
Anyway, you say of your KN7000 - it has got a lot of the previous owner's setting which I would like to replace - can you be a bit more clear about which particular area of the keyboard these settings are giving you problems?
Rog
Posted by: Audrey Turner

Re: Re Bernies styles - 02/07/10 04:09 PM

Hello Trevor,

It's funny Roger should mention you live near me for as as soon as I saw your name and the mention of the Tyros keyboard, my thoughts turned to the Quy Organ Club which unfortunately because of other commitments, I am not able to visit on a regular basis, but on the one night I did go a few months back, the organist didn't turn up and one of the Members went home and fetched his Tyros with which he entertained us all evening and which, in my opinion was played better than some of the professionals. Could that be you by any chance?

Please feel free to email me.

Audrey

Re: Re Bernies styles - 02/08/10 01:54 AM

Hi Roger
The settings that I wish to delete are the custom styles. It may be that once I am able to get the styles which I have dowloaded onto one of the 1Gig cards which have now been ordered the problem may solve itself. I hope to know by the end of the week. The trouble with getting old is that you forget how you did things a few years back ( or even a few days back).
As you will have seen from Audrey's post we have indeed met at the Cambridge Club. I was the person involved on that occasion.
Fortunately I only live 10 minutes drive from the venue so the Chairman come with me to collect my gear which all had to be disassembled first. What a panic. But we made it OK and the concert started 20 minutes late. Which wasn't bad. Although I hadn't got a program prepared, my years of experience got me through and everyone seemed quite happy.

Regards
Trevor

Re: Re Bernies styles - 02/08/10 02:32 AM

Hello Audrey
As you will see from my previous post I was indeed the guilty party on that occasion at Quy. I still go there when it doesn't clash with other gigs; this coming Saturday being one, I hope. I would e-mail you if I could remember how to access your profile but that is another facility which has faded into the deep recesses of my sub-conscious.
Best wishes...Trevor
Posted by: technicsplayer

Re: Re Bernies styles - 02/08/10 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by trevorjohn:
The settings that I wish to delete are the custom styles.
Trevor

Regarding the custom styles they are in flash memory and stay there permanently until you overwrite them - either with new styles from sd or floppy or with blanks. I provided blanks of single customs and an all 20 blank file to load in with the 7000 book for people who like neat custom sections

Any reset does not affect them. The initial floppy disk had the 20 factory custom styles - you don't need the cds. It can still be downloaded here http://www.technics-music-service.de/downloads/index.htm
select 7000 software.

Alternatively you could erase a composer and copy it to a custom to blank it.

Re: Re Bernies styles - 02/08/10 05:23 AM

Hi again Trevor
Glad that you and Audrey have met...if under rather strange circumstances...
The question that I must now ask is:
Why do you want to delete the 'Custom' styles as they are not interfering with anything...or, do you actually mean 'custom' styles or do you mean stuff that is in the panel memories that you are calling custom styles?

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 02-08-2010).]
Posted by: technicsplayer

Re: Re Bernies styles - 02/08/10 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RMepstead:
[B] do you mean stuff that is in the panel memories that you are calling custom styles?
B]

Trevor has already done a factory reset, which by definition will have restored all the panel memories to initial state.

Re: Re Bernies styles - 02/08/10 12:09 PM

Good point Alec - but you will know as well as I that understanding precisely what folk mean when they put a message on here takes a bit of delving into sometimes...chuckle...
I've just noticed that Trevor wrote and I quote 'but do find some of the built in styles a bit dated and would very much like to be able to load others.' which kind of suggests to me that working with other style files than the built in standard and custom styles is foreign to him...so I'm delving....

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 02-08-2010).]
Posted by: Keyboardcapers

Re: Re Bernies styles - 02/09/10 05:50 AM

Hi there Bernie

I do appreciate your kindness in sharing the files that you must have patiently accumulated. My colleague!! has kindly downloaded them for me. However on checking the PDF listing we have come to the conclusion that you are not a reggae fan.
I long to be able to play more ‘reggae’ music but the standard styles on the KN7000 are just not inspiring enough.
Now you being a lot closer to the West Indies than I am is it possible that you might have a major collection of reggae styles as well?

Yours musically

Midge

Re: Re Bernies styles - 02/09/10 11:36 AM

Hi Midge
LOL, I grant you South Florida is a bit closer than the UK, I might as well be in Alaska for the Reggae styles I've accumulated, which is none. Sorry Midge.
Cheers
Bernie

Re: Re Bernies styles - 02/09/10 12:16 PM

Midge,

There are several reggae styles in the past KN series keyboards. If you don't have them, they are within the download on my website : http://www.willumspages.co.uk/page8.html
Posted by: Keyboardcapers

Re: Re Bernies styles - 02/09/10 03:32 PM

you know what you are Bill.....you're a darling. Many thanks.