High Hopes

Posted by: Alan Grant

High Hopes - 07/18/02 12:51 PM

I have a kn6000 with ewo1 upgrade, and I think it's a great keyboard, Solo instuments, piano's, guitars, intro & endings superb, but the strings are awfull they do not sound pleasant to my ear, but seem to screech at you. I'm hoping the new 7000 will at last give much improved strings. as I hear that other sounds have been improved EG: Organ sounds. I'm looking forward to the new Smart media type card at £50 or so for a fair bit of memory and virtually instant loading of files and setups. Hope Bank Manager is in a good mood.
Posted by: Bill Norrie

Re: High Hopes - 07/18/02 01:08 PM

Hi Alan and Welcome to the Forum,
The KN7000 uses the Panasonic SD memory card, not the Smart Media type. The string sounds which I heard at the recent presentation of the KN7000 certainly sounded superb. We were informed that all the sounds have been re-sampled. If you haven't done so already, have a look at the other 'KN7000' posts on this forum.
Good to have you 'Aboard'

Greetings from North Yorks

------------------
Willum
Posted by: Derek Ladkin

Re: High Hopes - 07/18/02 03:01 PM

Hi Alan,

You are not alone.I think that "strings" whether 'Soft' 'Slow'
'symphonic' etc are probably one of the most subjective and contentious sounds on most keyboards.
People I've spoken to on this subject often say they like the Yamaha string samples but prefer Technics for most of the other sounds, but I usually end up (on my 6500 )experimenting with editing the string samples and using the Equaliser and effects, to my own liking. This probably means that I might find one (or perhaps two people!)who like my sounds but the rest have their own preferences.
Funnily enough before your post, I have jumped in at the deep end for Vol 10 of Bebops' 20 for 1 and sent in an experimental 'string orchestra' I suppose you would call it (among other things ,not repeatable on this forum !)playing 'Dancing in the dark' so I'm now wondering how many people will hold their hands over their ears because they can't stand the screeching !! I think it will depend on whether the equaliser has loaded properly.
I don't think I'll call for a vote !
Keep working on it Alan.

Derek

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alan Grant:
"the strings are awfull they do not sound pleasant to my ear, but seem to screech at you. "
Posted by: kozykeys

Re: High Hopes - 07/20/02 01:18 AM

for bill norrie
hey bill just realised you are just up the road from me I am near york
jan
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: High Hopes - 07/20/02 02:49 AM

I am only done the road in Nottingham.

Graham UK
Posted by: kozykeys

Re: High Hopes - 07/20/02 03:41 AM

Hi there Graham
I really must read a few profiles and see just how many of us are from the uk .
nice to meet you
jan
Posted by: DaveT

Re: High Hopes - 07/20/02 04:15 AM

Hi to all UK Members I am only down the road in Sheffield and visit Scalby near Scarborough.
DaveT.
Posted by: Bud Whipple

Re: High Hopes - 07/20/02 09:49 AM

Since my ancestor left the UK in 1650 to settle in the colonies, I suppose the road to my house could be called "The Long and Winding Road"?

Re: High Hopes - 07/22/02 03:46 PM

Hi Bud, If it's a long and winding road, it will be a bit of a wet one too!

Hi to all you guy's North of 'The Gap', in the 'civilised' end of the country . Seems there's quite a few of us within spitting distance. There is one more member that I know of in this area, Brian Goodison, who is in Bridlington. Maybe we could have a 'get-together' some time at a central venue? What are your thoughts.
Since this is a bit off topic, perhaps we should start a new thread.

------------------
Willum
Posted by: JvG

Re: High Hopes - 07/23/02 12:34 AM

The strings are crap because they lack character and are a poor imitation of how a real orchestra is put together. Normally the violas, violins, cellos, and bass strings build up the whole string ensemble "texture". Try putting those sounds together on the KN6000 and it will sound horrible, quite an indication of how "great" its acoustic sounds are.

Technics just hasn't dedicated enough sample ram to the normal string patches, hence in the higher and lower registers all the samples get stretched too far out.

I wouldn't count on much improvement in the KN7000. A good string section alone would require far more memory than is available.

Re: High Hopes - 07/23/02 01:13 PM

...OK but as has been said on another thread on this forum, You will not get what you are suggesting for £2100 ! I agree, that there is certainly room for improvement in the sounds and that applies to all arranger keyboards that I have heard, but there has to be a reasonable cut-off point.
There are many people very satisfied with most of the sounds and facilities offered by the KN range of keyboards, they can't all be wrong and tone deaf We don't all have the funds to be able to afford the ultimate in musical instrument reproduction and even if we did, I for one would not wish to carry a whole load of different pieces of equipment to a gig, for just a small improvement in sound, which would most probably not even be noticed by the audience.

------------------
Willum